+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FT: WALES 1 - 1 SWITZERLAND.

Re: FT: WALES 1 - 1 SWITZERLAND.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We didn’t play great against a team above us in the world rankings and yet we still have one of the points we need to go further in the tournament, people are talking as if we were playing Luxembourg, not Switzerland.
    Yes there were, but I think people need to be realistic. You almost need to be getting your state pension to have been alive the time we went to the finals of a major tournament before 2016 - we don’t compete at this level often and today offered evidence as to why.

I’m just about to write my blog piece on the game and am going to be spending a fair bit of time on how central midfield was a major problem for us. Wales were so much like City today in terms of how ineffective we were in the middle of the park in front of our defence, but who do we have within the squad who would have offered more than Allen and Morrell? Ampadu perhaps, but how fit is he? I don’t think Will Vaulks would have made any difference either because the problems we had today seemed to me to be very similar to the ones a City midfield with Vaulks has in it has when they’re struggling.

I’d also say that 30degree temperatures were hardly conducive to an effective high pressing game - I thought Switzerland were good in that department for about an hour then began to tire.
    No. Our central midfield today was shocking.

I have no idea why Morrell is anywhere near a Welsh squad. Bob would you be happy if Morrell was a replacement for say Ralls or Pack.

I know i wouldn't.

I look forward to hearing Page's explanation as to why he subbed James.

On the bright side:

- Danny Ward played well as did Daniel James. I thought Rodon and Davies too.
    - We scored a nice goal from a corner. Is that the first time we've varied our corner routine since 2016?
    - 90 minutes (or there about) for Bale and Ramsey as they come back into game form.
    - Brooks did some nice things off the bench.
    - a point and a goal at Euros 2020.

The Baku pitch increasingly looks like the Mill stad from days gone by. We're surely more experienced on a surface like that than Turkey!!

We got away with it today based on how ineffective our midfield was and poor we were in defence.

Why is Allen marking their most dangerous player in the air at corners

Saying that, good game time for Davies and Ramsey who haven't played much football and a point against a team in form.

But we have to sort out that midfield.

Ampadu has to start and perhaps bale needs to be floating and dropping deeper with James on the left and brooks or Wilson on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    No. Our central midfield today was shocking.

I have no idea why Morrell is anywhere near a Welsh squad. Bob would you be happy if Morrell was a replacement for say Ralls or Pack.

I know i wouldn't.
    Judge Morrell based on his past international performances and his record is good.

He clearly fits the system even if lower ceiling of talent. He played well against France recently.

We didn’t play great against a team above us in the world rankings and yet we still have one of the points we need to go further in the tournament, people are talking as if we were playing Luxembourg, not Switzerland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Yes bonkers. Our best player by a mile. Apart from the keeper its not even close and he looked seriously pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Or release the Kraken, Colwill ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    Like it! But more likely Ampadu who wouldn't have let Embolo ramage through the middle or have easy headers in the 6yard box.

The centre halves should have picked up the scorer, not the shortest f ucker on the pitch.

I'm saying Colwill as forward looking not defensive

Absolutely bonkers sub. And he clearly wasnt happy.
    He didn't have the balls to take Bale off so went for the easy option.
    Can't believe he picked Morrell to start.
    He's hard working to be fair but offers no passing ability
    That's why he can't get into the Luton team
    Also why didn't we get fresh legs on in Central midfield after the hour mark?
    We were getting overrun and needed legs
    Neco did well against France in there and would have given us much needed energy

Re: WALES v SWITZERLAND. Sat June 12th, ko 2pm

Quote Originally Posted by caerkid View Post
    Off the bandage!
    Of all the changes to make he takes James off ??
    Did they have to include his ears in the red bandage he ended up looking like plug from the Bash Street kids. Brilliant goal nonetheless.

[QUOTE=surge;5197838]Judge Morrell based on his past international performances and his record is good.

He clearly fits the system even if lower ceiling of talent. He played well against France recently.[/QUOTE

Morrell cant get in a Luton side and looked out of his depth today.

We got a point from luck rather than anything else. We should have lost by about 3.

I just don't get the whole thing.

Selecting a squad based on playing possession football. Yes our players are comfortable at a certain level buts it's like expecting Bournemouth to outplay Barcelona.

Allen is a million miles from the player he was. Morrell looked like a league 1 players.

There was no press even when chasing the game.

Midfield offers no shield to defence, we made a good player look like the world greatest.

James was the only who looked like had any intensity.

Not sure what was going on about marking but the guy hardly had to get off the floor.

Balls being played into Moore were so straight if missed just ran through.

Our best players are all attackers and we stand off teams trying to defend.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Just before he subbed him a ball was played wide to James who just stood and waited for it and a Swiss player easily got there before him.

He waited for it presumably because he was tired out.

I was not surprised he was substituted and I disagree with criticism of the manager on that score.

However, if Switzerland had continue to play as they started the second half we were out of that game and the tournament. Our central defendars are hopeless if opponents run at them. Fortunately Switzerland started to drop back long before they needed to protect their lead.

A very good point in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Just before he subbed him a ball was played wide to James who just stood and waited for it and a Swiss player easily got there before him.

He waited for it presumably because he was tired out.

I was not surprised he was substituted and I disagree with criticism of the manager on that score.

However, if Switzerland had continue to play as they started the second half we were out of that game and the tournament. Our central defendars are hopeless if opponents run at them. Fortunately Switzerland started to drop back long before they needed to protect their lead.

A very good point in the end.
    Agreed, James is all about running, he was tired, and even if he wasn't, players do need protecting at times. Add to that 30 degree heat and a game on wednesday that James will start. Agree about the central defenders, very flat at times and neither really knew who should go and who should drop, although they weren't helped by a midfield who seemed content to react and chase as opposed to getting on the ball.

Ampadu and N.Williams have to come in for me

Also Keiffer Moore is made of magic

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Also Keiffer Moore is made of magic
    If (and it's a huge if!) Wales find themselves comfortably ahead on Wednesday,is it worth Moore picking up a cynical booking to miss the Italy game ?

Pointless question probably ,as he's bound to be booked anyway for daring to challenge for the ball or something equally heinous.

If (and it's a huge if!) Wales find themselves comfortably ahead on Wednesday,is it worth Moore picking up a cynical booking to miss the Italy game ?

Pointless question probably ,as he's bound to be booked anyway for daring to challenge for the ball or something equally heinous.
    Do bookings carry through from the group stage?

😂😂😂😂

Honestly talk of cynical bookings after being comfortablly ahead.

Its interesting if this had been a City performance there would have been far more criticism of the management and players and the little old Wales mentality.

Apart from the lucky point and we go again there was nothing positive about today at all.

Its interesting if this had been a City performance there would have been far more criticism of the management and players and the little old Wales mentality.

Apart from the lucky point and we go again there was nothing positive about today at all.
    Those are two decent positives though. Plenty of teams have started slowly in tournaments and done pretty well afterwards. Also, a City performance would be in a different context.

surprised not too much praise for Ward on here tonight/today thought he was our MOM with James coming a close 2'nd

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    surprised not too much praise for Ward on here tonight/today thought he was our MOM with James coming a close 2'nd
    Ward easily man of the match. James best outfield player followed by Moore.

Moore when given the opportunity did well offensively but it was his presence defensively as well that stood out. Lost count of how many times he helped Wales to clear their lines.

Wales preference to favour a counter attack approach to today's game didn't bear much fruit. A lot of wayward passing and hopeful balls lumped to Moore who didn't have much to go with, was the repetitive theme. Wales must avoid that against Turkey, their centre pairing would have a field day with that type of service. Whenever James was in an advanced position, particularly with a compromised Mbabu they looked threatening and the free kicks he was able to win resulted in two peaches of deliveries from Bale and Ramsey with unfortunately no one attacking the cross.

Will be interested to see how Wales are setup for Wednesday's game. Anticipate some changes will be brought in as a win would be huge and would more or less secure a minimum 3rd place spot in the group.

The midfield needs a rework, why we are starting Morrell, a player who can't get into Luton's team against players like Xhaka and Shaqiri is laughable, we allowed them too many free passes to Embolo and he caused so many issues with his dribbling, thankfully Ward was up for it and kept us in it.

Page needs to sort out the set piece defending too, Roberts and Allen marking Embolo? Comical. I think we have enough firepower up top to cause Turkey issues but if that midfield isn't addressed we'll struggle. Maybe Ampadu comes in for Morrell? Either way, not a lot of positives to take from today. Ward was great as was James, so happy for Kieffer but we didn't look good at all

Quote Originally Posted by SuisseBluebird View Post
    Moore when given the opportunity did well offensively but it was his presence defensively as well that stood out. Lost count of how many times he helped Wales to clear their lines.

Wales preference to favour a counter attack approach to today's game didn't bear much fruit. A lot of wayward passing and hopeful balls lumped to Moore who didn't have much to go with, was the repetitive theme. Wales must avoid that against Turkey, their centre pairing would have a field day with that type of service. Whenever James was in an advanced position, particularly with a compromised Mbabu they looked threatening and the free kicks he was able to win resulted in two peaches of deliveries from Bale and Ramsey with unfortunately no one attacking the cross.

Will be interested to see how Wales are setup for Wednesday's game. Anticipate some changes will be brought in as a win would be huge and would more or less secure a minimum 3rd place spot in the group.
    Interesting to see the perspective of the Welsh fans in Switzerland. Think there is another on here too.

Need to stick by these players and the team - they can still achieve a lot and together stronger like. Today we just needed more players named Daniel or Danny!

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Interesting to see the perspective of the Welsh fans in Switzerland. Think there is another on here too.

Need to stick by these players and the team - they can still achieve a lot and together stronger like. Today we just needed more players named Daniel or Danny!
    So, could Mr Gabbidon finally get that elusive fiftieth cap and might there be debuts for Splott Parker's boy and Tuerto who I believe are both Dan's?