+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FT: WALES 1 - 1 SWITZERLAND.

Re: FT: WALES 1 - 1 SWITZERLAND.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So much moaning in this thread even after we equalised - that’s a great point for us.
    It is a great point. The problem is that it's also a lucky point and if we're honest, an undeserved one. Still, they all count.

We were wide open at the back whenever they attacked in the second-half and very fortunate to only concede one goal.

Good point in the end as we were well outplayed for much of it. Just disappointed in how passive we were for most of the match, they have some good players, more so than us but they looked world beaters when given so much space.

Embolo was summoning his inner Messi.

So much moaning in this thread even after we equalised - that’s a great point for us.
    Poor performances with a good result has been the Welsh way for quite a while now (certainly in the Nation's League). Turkey will be a huge game but a good chance of second or a strong third place if we can win it. Happy with that :)

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Danny Ward is wasted as a number two. He needs to be at a club as a number one.
    Bizarre that James was taken off. He was our best attacking force.
    Seconded.

Should have brought Wilson on at about 60 mins as well.

Re: WALES v SWITZERLAND. Sat June 12th, ko 2pm

Page went for it at the end with Brooks on for James leaving Ramsey, Bale, Moore on the pitch as well which signifies how much the camp wanted to win but I felt it invited too much pressure coming back the other way. I didn't really like that decision and didn't like our strategy for defending against Embolo who was best player on the pitch.

Midfield looks our weakest area. I'm not going to mention the V word because I'm done with that debate, but I'm slightly concerned that 4-3-3 today didn't give control of the ball/space when our other formations presumably give up more.

I think we probably got away with one but we're still very much in it. First goal of 2020 Euros, first point too and plenty of improvements that can be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    Lucky point but I’ll take it, can’t play that badly again surely.
    I think we need to give credit to the opposition. It was a good draw ultimately.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I think we need to give credit to the opposition. It was a good draw ultimately.
    Switzerland are 13th in the world, have been to 7 of past 8 tournaments and have qualified to knock-out rounds in 4 of those. They know what they're doing at this stage.

Come on Bob we were cr@p. If wed played even half decent a point would be more than ok.

Its not the result. A bad performance and probably our best player subbed and he clearly wasnt happy.

Anyway on to the next. Several players need axing though. Morell , Allen , Roberts.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Page went for it at the end with Brooks on for James leaving Ramsey, Bale, Moore on the pitch as well which signifies how much the camp wanted to win but I felt it invited too much pressure coming back the other way. I didn't really like that decision and didn't like our strategy for defending against Embolo who was best player on the pitch.

Midfield looks our weakest area. I'm not going to mention the V word because I'm done with that debate, but I'm slightly concerned that 4-3-3 today didn't give control of the ball/space when our other formations presumably give up more.

I think we probably got away with one but we're still very much in it. First goal of 2020 Euros, first point too and plenty of improvements that can be made.
    Don't think you can play both Allen & Morrell in the middle - too lightweight.

That could just as easily have been 3 or 4-1, people have every right to moan. We gifted them half of the pitch for 90 minutes, somehow we got out of jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    That could just as easily have been 3 or 4-1, people have every right to moan. We gifted them half of the pitch for 90 minutes, somehow we got out of jail.
    The only really moaning after we scored was taking off our most dangerous outfield player

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    The only really moaning after we scored was taking off our most dangerous outfield player
    Absolutely bonkers sub. And he clearly wasnt happy.

Feel sorry for the fans who travelled (despite it being against advice). Awful place to be put in a very empty stadium. Going to be very outnumbered on Wednesday too. Sticks in the throat that England and even bloody Scotland get home matches and Welsh fans have to put up with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Come on Bob we were cr@p. If wed played even half decent a point would be more than ok.

Its not the result. A bad performance and probably our best player subbed and he clearly wasnt happy.

Anyway on to the next. Several players need axing though. Morell , Allen , Roberts.
    We didn’t play great against a team above us in the world rankings and yet we still have one of the points we need to go further in the tournament, people are talking as if we were playing Luxembourg, not Switzerland.

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    Don't think you can play both Allen & Morrell in the middle - too lightweight.
    Yes I think you're right our only problem is that we're not blessed with a great pool of central midfielders to choose from. Maybe Allen and Ampadu might make a better pairing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Agreed, performance wise it was poor. We were lucky to even be second best in midfield, that's a big concern, and then we were having our centre backs rolled and bullied. Take the point, not the performance.

We didn’t play great against a team above us in the world rankings and yet we still have one of the points we need to go further in the tournament, people are talking as if we were playing Luxembourg, not Switzerland.
    Bob, there were fundamental problems in midfield and in defence that didn't improve as the game went on. Surely that's a concern?

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Yes I think you're right our only problem is that we're not blessed with a great pool of central midfielders to choose from. Maybe Allen and Ampadu might make a better pairing.

Or release the Kraken, Colwill ?

Quote Originally Posted by caerkid View Post
    Feel sorry for the fans who travelled (despite it being against advice). Awful place to be put in a very empty stadium. Going to be very outnumbered on Wednesday too. Sticks in the throat that England and even bloody Scotland get home matches and Welsh fans have to put up with that.

We have been shafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Bob, there were fundamental problems in midfield and in defence that didn't improve as the game went on. Surely that's a concern?

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yes there were, but I think people need to be realistic. You almost need to be getting your state pension to have been alive the time we went to the finals of a major tournament before 2016 - we don’t compete at this level often and today offered evidence as to why.

I’m just about to write my blog piece on the game and am going to be spending a fair bit of time on how central midfield was a major problem for us. Wales were so much like City today in terms of how ineffective we were in the middle of the park in front of our defence, but who do we have within the squad who would have offered more than Allen and Morrell? Ampadu perhaps, but how fit is he? I don’t think Will Vaulks would have made any difference either because the problems we had today seemed to me to be very similar to the ones a City midfield with Vaulks in it has when they’re struggling.

I’d also say that 30degree temperatures were hardly conducive to an effective high pressing game - I thought Switzerland were good in that department for about an hour then began to tire.

The central midfield was shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Or release the Kraken, Colwill ?
    Like it! But more likely Ampadu who wouldn't have let Embolo ramage through the middle or have easy headers in the 6yard box.

Quote Originally Posted by caerkid View Post
    This entire tournament is rigged to favour certain teams. I hope this format is never used again.