+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 0 CROATIA.

FT: ENGLAND 1 - 0 CROATIA.

Match facts

Head-to-head

This is the third meeting between England and Croatia at a major tournament (World Cup, Euros). The Three Lions beat Croatia 4-2 in the group stages at Euro 2004, while Croatia won 2-1 after extra-time in the semi-finals of the 2018 World Cup.

England

• England are taking part in their 10th European Championship - no team has played as many games in the tournament without ever reaching the final (31 matches, 0 final).
    • The Three Lions have never lost at Wembley in a major tournament (World Cup 1966, Euro 1996), winning seven and drawing four of their previous 11 games (penalty shoot-outs excluded).
    • England have never won their opening game at a European Championship (D5 L4).
    • Boss Gareth Southgate will be leading England for a second major tournament (excluding Nations League) after World Cup 2018 (4th place). At Euro 1996, he was one of only three England players to play all 510 minutes, alongside David Seaman and Tony Adams - he missed a penalty in the semi-final shootout against Germany.

Croatia

• Croatia are taking part in their sixth European Championship, and their fifth in a row.
    • Penalty shootouts excluded, Croatia have lost only two of their past 11 European Championship games, both 1-0 defeats (against Spain in 2012 and Portugal in 2016).
    • Ivan Perisic has been directly involved in more goals than any other player for Croatia in major tournament history (7 goals and 4 assists in World Cup/Euros - excluding Nations League).
    • Boss Zlatko Dalic - in charge since October 2017 - is only the second manager to lead Croatia at two consecutive major tournaments (World Cup & Euros), after Miroslav Blazevic (Euro 1996, World Cup 1998).

Re: ENGLAND v CROATIA. Sun June 13th, ko 2pm

think croatia will surprise a few people this time around

going for a 1-1 draw

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

going for a 1-1 draw
    Think they’ll do opposite.

England will tank them 3/4-0

First Team

Too close to call imho.
    On paper these are the most likely top two from the group so I anticipate a low risk approach from both with the strategy to be closer to avoiding a loss as opposed to going all out for a win.
    The heat may slow things down as the weather bods were anticipating the pitch level temp to be over 90.
    If I were a betting man 1-1.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    The reached the World Cup final in the last tournament they played

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    The reached the World Cup final in the last tournament they played
    Maybe he means surprise people by being really bad.

Is it weird I actually wouldn't mind England doing well, I'm not English so won't be jumping up and down but on the whole I think they have a fairly likeable squad.

Even Southgate, seems inoffensive.

First Team

Southgate has picked a player out of position in a defence that is hardly rock solid and has gone with an out of form player whilst benching the stand out player from the warm up games. Once again doing the upmost to cock it up.

Foden some player, bright start by England

Really impressive England so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Is it weird I actually wouldn't mind England doing well, I'm not English so won't be jumping up and down but on the whole I think they have a fairly likeable squad.

The players and management are more likeable than many of their fans - many of whom not only booed when England took the knee but also booed the Croatian anthem. Dowden and Johnson will be proud!

Most likeable England team in my life, team seems full of genuine lads with good ethics

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Southgate has picked a player out of position in a defence that is hardly rock solid and has gone with an out of form player whilst benching the stand out player from the warm up games. Once again doing the upmost to cock it up.
    Well let’s hope he does f u c k it up

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The players and management are more likeable than many of their fans - many of whom not only booed when England took the knee but also booed the Croatian anthem. Dowden and Johnson will be proud!
    I don't get the booing, even if you disagree with the kneeling for whatever reason, why boo your own players who are doing it because they actually want to do it.

Having said that, in my life I've never seen much to differentiate our fans from theirs. Following city I've seen and heard it all. There's just a lot more England fans, also probably therefore a lot more actually nice people.

I don't get the booing, even if you disagree with the kneeling for whatever reason, why boo your own players who are doing it because they actually want to do it.

Having said that, in my life I've never seen much to differentiate our fans from theirs. Following city I've seen and heard it all. There's just a lot more England fans, also probably therefore a lot more actually nice people.
    Here’s the difference between Wales and England fans;-

https://twitter.com/nick_pettigrew/s...878674945?s=21

Good goal. Phillips has been really impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Good goal. Phillips has been really impressive.
    He’s developed into some player under Bielsa.

The only players holding there were england not Croatia

When the cameras pan the crowd there's a huge contrast between the England and Croatia fans

Re: FT: ENGLAND 1 - 0 CROATIA.

Comfortable for England.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    When the cameras pan the crowd there's a huge contrast between the England and Croatia fans
    You mean that most of the Croatia fans appear to be attractive women?!

I don’t know why everyone’s purring over that performance, they didn’t created much against a poor ageing Croatia team. Southgate is the problem, he picks odd teams. France, Portugal, Belgium, Italy and Germany beat them easily IMO.

How did Kalvin Phillips avoid getting a yellow card for continually fouling? Had to be about half-a-dozen occasions the ref blew for one of his fouls. He passes well.

Do agree met Southgate briefly once a truly nice man .

Thought Mings and the Leeds boy were great .

Looked very hot and draining out their .

No Grealish ??

I never get the fuss about Sterling , good player ,media tend to love him ?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    I don’t know why everyone’s purring over that performance, they didn’t created much against a poor ageing Croatia team.
    A poor Croatia team who reached a World Cup final three years ago and who topped their Euro 2020 qualifying group. England weren't brilliant but they won comfortably. From their perspective, it's a highly satisfactory start