+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: FT: AUSTRIA 3 - 1 NORTH MACEDONIA.

FT: AUSTRIA 3 - 1 NORTH MACEDONIA.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

This is the first encounter between Austria and North Macedonia at a major tournament. Their only two previous meetings took place in the Euro 2020 qualifiers, Austria winning both, 4-1 away and 2-1 at home.

Austria

• Austria have yet to reach the knockout stages or even win a single game at the European Championships (D2 L4). No team has played more games in the tournament - six - without winning one.
    • Austria have won only one of their past 15 games at major tournaments (D5 L9 - World Cups and Euros), a 2-1 victory against USA in the group phase of the 1990 World Cup.
    • Austria have scored only two goals in their six games at the European Championship finals; one of them was a penalty (Ivica Vastic vs Poland, Euro 2008). They have never been ahead at any point in those six games.
    • Austria last reached the knockout stages of a major tournament at the 1954 World Cup, finishing third. In their past 15 games at major tournaments they have won only one game (2-1 vs USA, World Cup 1990) and kept one clean sheet (0-0 vs Portugal, Euro 2016).
    • Austria forward Marko Arnautovic was directly involved in seven goals in his eight appearances during the Euro 2020 qualifiers (six goals, one assist).

North Macedonia

• Including the play-off rounds, North Macedonia won each of their final three games in Euro 2020 qualifying - as many as they had won in their previous nine games of the qualifying campaign before this (D2, L4).
    • North Macedonia's 1.25 goals scored per game during Euro 2020 qualifiers (15 in 12 games) was the joint-lowest average of any team to have qualified for the finals, alongside Wales.
    • Including the play-off rounds, Eljif Elmas was directly involved in more Euro 2020 qualifying goals than any other player for North Macedonia (five - four goals, one assist).

Re: AUSTRIA v NORTH MACEDONIA. Sun June 13th, ko 5pm

Unmissable, this one.

Not bad at the moment, 1-1.

Pretty good so far 1 - 1

Hartson needs to do his research if he wants to be a Co commentator. Just said Toshack managed Real Madrid and Barcelona

I've never understood why alaba is so highly rated. Whenever I've seen him play he doesn't look anything special.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Pretty good so far 1 - 1

Hartson needs to do his research if he wants to be a Co commentator. Just said Toshack managed Real Madrid and Barcelona
    Not what I heard.

It's amazing how much quicker the football is with more comfortable temperature and a crowd. Might be both teams desperate to win as well.

Amazing how different teams will experience a completely different tournament to others.

Exciting game so far.

First Team

Probably not seen the eventual winners here but they both had a go and it was compelling at times.
    The first game of the tournament that I have watched in full which probably tells you how much I enjoyed watching it.