+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UEFA- It has to be said

Re: UEFA- It has to be said

Last group game is on the 21st with the last sixteen game on either the 26th or 27th. Could’ve played it on the 23rd or 24th. Would obviously cause some disruption to travel arrangements but st. Petersburg isn’t that far from Copenhagen. 16s are in Amsterdam or 27th in Seville. 30 minutes from Copenhagen to Amsterdam... an hour and a half and a day extra if in Seville.

Probably doable if uefa could’ve been ****ed to make an effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Last group game is on the 21st with the last sixteen game on either the 26th or 27th. Could’ve played it on the 23rd or 24th. Would obviously cause some disruption to travel arrangements but st. Petersburg isn’t that far from Copenhagen. 16s are in Amsterdam or 27th in Seville. 30 minutes from Copenhagen to Amsterdam... an hour and a half and a day extra if in Seville.

Do you think that was the reason? They couldn't be bothered?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post

There's no way UEFA would allow the final round of group games to be played separately. Don't think Belgium or Russia would be happy with that. Imagine a similar incident happened during Italy Vs Turkey and it transpired that, in their game in hand, a draw (or another result) would qualify both countries and knock Wales out. We'd be up in arms.

imagine if Gareth Bale collapsed on the pitch in such traumatic circumstances

Welsh players surrounding him

Then Wales are given two options

Play it later on tonight or tomorrow

I know what the reaction to that would be

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    imagine if Gareth Bale collapsed on the pitch in such traumatic circumstances

Welsh players surrounding him

Then Wales are given two options

Play it later on tonight or tomorrow

I know what the reaction to that would be

What would the reaction be?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Play it later that night once they know he's pretty muck OK I guess.. like the Danish players did.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I didn’t see the incident last night so can’t comment on the specifics but I am surprised at the reaction.

I’ve been involved in motorcycle racing for 60 years, in that time 201 riders have been killed on the Isle of Man, 22 of whom have been friends or very close friends. If I add in other UK & Irish tracks the number probably reaches 30 friends. I’ve seen horrendous & fatal accidents.

15 or 30 minutes later everyone is back racing.

I guess people are going to say it’s a shite comparison but for me it is the measure by which I can’t understand the fuss about this incident.
    I think today's 'elite' professional footballers are not cut from the same cloth as TT riders. The Danish and Finnish players have been provided with counselling, though having seen a colleague collapse and then receive expert medical treatment and recover consciousness would be a rather uplifting experience in my opinion..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I think today's 'elite' professional footballers are not cut from the same cloth as TT riders. The Danish and Finnish players have been provided with counselling, though having seen a colleague collapse and then receive expert medical treatment and recover consciousness would be a rather uplifting experience in my opinion..
    You know he was actually dead on the pitch at one point, don't you?

Of all the things to play the 'footballers today are softies' card on, this one is ridiculous.

Of all the things to play the 'footballers today are softies' card on, this one is ridiculous.
    But they are though. Most live in a protective bubble. sheltered from the great unwashed. They can't even manage their own 'twitter' accounts, often employing someone else to post all those 'great performance from the lads' messages for them.

The reaction would have been ff sake cut us some slack

The Denmark players were given a loaded gun to play Russian Roulette with

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Play it later that night once they know he's pretty muck OK I guess.. like the Danish players did.
    witnessing the event clearly had an effect on their performance and the game should have been delayed

Imagine your old man collapsing in front of you

You are supposed to be playing a gig in your local pub

The pub says either get on with the gig in an hour or play tomorrow

😒

But they are though. Most live in a protective bubble. sheltered from the great unwashed. They can't even manage their own 'twitter' accounts, often employing someone else to post all those 'great performance from the lads' messages for them.

I feel like I've stumbled on to the Mailonline by mistake. Do you think they don't know how to operate twitter?

Their social media accounts are used as marketing tools. It's not my kind of thing, following someone like Harry Kane who has exactly that sort of message. I can't imagine enjoying reading the updates. Over 3 million people do follow him, for whatever reason.

But he doesn't have someone to write it because he's pampered and lives in a bubble, it's because they are for 'building the brand' and eventually selling merchandise.

Quite what the link between this and being offered counselling after having had the world watching you watching someone nearly die is, I don't know...

The reaction would have been ff sake cut us some slack

The Denmark players were given a loaded gun to play Russian Roulette with
    Yeah, I'm sure the Danish forums are full of their fans saying the same thing, especially having lost the game.

But they can't just mull it over for a while and then try to squeeze the game in when they can. As said on here, the final group games have to kick off at the same time, for a start. And then, whoever qualifies from this postponed game would have a much shorter recovery time before the knockouts and be at a disadvantage. And organising all the stadium workers/media plus teams and backroom staff in a pandemic and keeping everyone as safe as they can from covid must be a nightmare even with months to prepare, let alone at short notice.

That's the reality.

witnessing the event clearly had an effect on their performance and the game should have been delayed

��
    It's not on the scale of a gig at the local pub, is it?

It would be interesting to see whether and of the Danish players, officials or fans have objected to the time scales offered by uefa. As far as I can see, they haven't.

From what I gather they chose to play it the same day. You would think even the next day would have given them some time to process things and have a pre match preparation etc but they chose the same day themselves.

It's probably tough to organise and rearrange these matches at the best of times let alone during a pandemic.

Question for uefa I suppose is what would they have done if the outcome was worse, they must have some sort of planning in place.

One option would have been to play it 24 hours later. If that was not offered because television scheduling took priority then I think that UEFA fell short in their treatment of the teams, particularly the Danes.

Yeah, I'm sure the Danish forums are full of their fans saying the same thing, especially having lost the game.

But they can't just mull it over for a while and then try to squeeze the game in when they can. As said on here, the final group games have to kick off at the same time, for a start. And then, whoever qualifies from this postponed game would have a much shorter recovery time before the knockouts and be at a disadvantage. And organising all the stadium workers/media plus teams and backroom staff in a pandemic and keeping everyone as safe as they can from covid must be a nightmare even with months to prepare, let alone at short notice.

That's the reality.
    Come on Lardy, let's not allow reality to get in the way of a good old rant about UEFA. They're corrupt, money-grabbing bastards. Distasteful, insensitive, etc. Just plain evil, basically.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    One option would have been to play it 24 hours later. If that was not offered because television scheduling took priority then I think that UEFA fell short in their treatment of the teams, particularly the Danes.
    Wasn't that one of the options? Correct me if I'm wrong.

😒
    A similar thing happened to me when I was 11. I lost a grandmother early one Saturday morning and I had a charity gig booked that evening to raise money for a scanner at POW, Bridgend.

I did the gig just out of a desire to help raise some funds. From what I recall, once I started playing, I didn't really think of much else other than the job in hand.

That night made £133. I was chuffed with that at my age.

I hope Mehmet doesn't read his message, he'll Sign 6 TT riders before July, three year deals, option to extend. Proper sports people.

😒
    That's a really shit analogy, most people's father's where I grew up collapsed in front of their kids in the local boozer, it was standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Wasn't that one of the options? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Think they were offered play the game or 12 o clock the following day.

Travelling at 200 miles per hour on standard roads on an island in the middle of the Irish sea is not comparable with professional football. I think the TT is more dangerous than the death zone on Everest.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    They were offered the chance to play it today.
    oooh didn't know that