+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Should Wales play three at the back tomorrow?

Should Wales play three at the back tomorrow?

I think this article goes to the heart of the dilemma facing Rob Page tomorrow, especially where it relates to Chris Mepham who strikes me as a player going through something of a crisis of confidence.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...st-Turkey.html

For what it's worth, I'd play a back three of Davies, Rodon and Ampadu (Cabango if Ethan is not considered fit enough) with Roberts and Williams as wing backs with instructions to get forward as much as they could because that gives them the chance to show their best. I'd have Ramsey and Allen in midfield with Bale and James asked to be play a bit more centrally to get closer to Moore.

It's all very well talking about how playing three at the back means that we don't have as many attacking players, but, for all that there was talk about how well James played against the Swiss, he only truly affected the game four or five times, while it was even less for Bale and Ramsey with much of the latter's best work being done helping out in defence.

We couldn't get the ball to our front four often enough and too much of what they did get was of such poor quality that nothing could be made of it. If Ampadu is fit enough to start, then that gives us the option of moving him into midfield if needs be, so there is a degree of flexibility in the selection that was lacking to some extent on Saturday.

Re: Should Wales play three at the back tomorrow?

That is the exact team and and formation I'd go with.

Width can come from the full backs providing they are given the freedom to attack.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think this article goes to the heart of the dilemma facing Rob Page tomorrow, especially where it relates to Chris Mepham who strikes me as a player going through something of a crisis of confidence.

For what it's worth, I'd play a back three of Davies, Rodon and Ampadu (Cabango if Ethan is not considered fit enough) with Roberts and Williams as wing backs with instructions to get forward as much as they could because that gives them the chance to show their best. I'd have Ramsey and Allen in midfield with Bale and James asked to be play a bit more centrally to get closer to Moore.

It's all very well talking about how playing three at the back means that we don't have as many attacking players, but, for all that there was talk about how well James played against the Swiss, he only truly affected the game four or five times, while it was even less for Bale and Ramsey with much of the latter's best work being done helping out in defence.

We couldn't get the ball to our front four often enough and too much of what they did get was of such poor quality that nothing could be made of it. If Ampadu is fit enough to start, then that gives us the option of moving him into midfield if needs be, so there is a degree of flexibility in the selection that was lacking to some extent on Saturday.
    I'd go for that 11 as well

I think singling out Mepham is harsh. The Swiss ripped through our central midfield leaving the defence exposed.

Mepham didnt play well but he was no worse than Roberts Allen Bale Morrell.

Axing him for Cabango would give us a better presence though as we look really vulnerable at set pieces.

Williams has to come in.

I think id give Cabango a go axe Roberts and try and strengthen the middle of the park.

Ramseys had an injury hit season. Id worry about a midfield 2 with him and Joe Allen to help out. Think they need someone with them.

Mainly I'd go along with that with a few comments:

Bale has to drop in a bit. We looked much better on Saturday when he moved inside a bit and started to dictate play. Thing about Bale, even if he is having no joy moving forward with the ball, he can still ping accurate passes around and bring others into play.

I am though worried about Allen and Ramsey - one has been playing in a very poor team while the other hasn't played much - however, maybe the game on Saturday helped them gain some sharpness.

Turkey play with wingers who can score... the our wing backs have to be very careful - Ampadu has the pace to move across and cover so that is a good call. Turkey also play quite a few long balls so the defence will need to be ready for more of an aerial dual than against the Swiss.

It is imperative that James gets on the ball as the Turkish full back area is an area we can really exploit, Italy had great success down the left

Roberts gotta be dropped!
    He’s shit at defending, falls over looking for free kicks all the time and is a complete liability.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Roberts gotta be dropped!
    He’s shit at defending, falls over looking for free kicks all the time and is a complete liability.
    The goal was embarrassing. Neither looking at the man or the ball. Hanging like a limpet hoping the ball wouldn’t arrive by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I think singling out Mepham is harsh. The Swiss ripped through our central midfield leaving the defence exposed.
    It wasn't just about Saturday though. He has no awareness of what's around him and is too slow to react (see the penalty he gave away against Belgium and his red in the play off semis for Bournemouth). I've also never seen a centre back as physically weak as him; he allows strikers to dominate him. I don't want to keep banging the James Chester drum but you look at the way we "defend" corners and Mepham doesn't offer the organization and leadership in the box that he or someone like Ashley Williams did. It seems that under Giggs/Page we select centre halves on the basis of whether they're comfortable on the ball or not, and completely overlook whether they can actually defend.

I would prefer to see Ben Davies in there with Rodon, plus Ampadu if we play a 3. I would drop Roberts as well who increasingly looks out of his depth at this level, and is another who is directly at fault for too many goals.

Only problem is that that leaves us unbalanced on the left with the only option to play a right footer or Norrington-Davies, who seems very limited going forward. Seems like 5 or 6 years ago we were spoilt for options at left back and now (if Davies plays centrally) we're pretty threadbare.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    The goal was embarrassing. Neither looking at the man or the ball. Hanging like a limpet hoping the ball wouldn’t arrive by him.
    Looked a bit of a mismatch. Even more so when Allen started to pick-up Embolo at set-pieces.

Whatever we do, I think we need to give Mepham a break. Looks like his confidence is low and is getting bullied by strikers at the moment. I'm sure he will come good again but right now he looks like he will cost us a goal on current form.

If sticking with the same system, I'd like to see Neco Williams at right or left back and I wouldn't be adverse to Davies playing left centre back.

Williams and Ampadu in for Mepham and Morrell for better ball control. I'd also consider Brooks or Wilson for Ramsey.

Quote Originally Posted by 198bore View Post
    Williams and Ampadu in for Mepham and Morrell for better ball control. I'd also consider Brooks or Wilson for Ramsey.
    Id consider Brooks or Wilson for Allen. Theres a reason ones at Juve and the other at Stoke. Allen was no better than Morrell on Saturday either.

If going to a back gets better creative players on the pitch then yes , Turkey don't have much up front .

Wales in yellow tomorrow. Temps in the high 20s forecasted for a 8pm local time Kick off !, sunset just after 8pm

https://twitter.com/walesfootballds/...59355657015301
    I think it's wrong to highlight one player, so much of our defensive work in weakened by extreme temperatures we're playing in, and feel it's a fairly hostile newspaper headline to do so.

Some of the thinking on here also isn't doing enough to weigh up their pros and cons as individuals fitting a system for each game and is getting a bit overheated. No pun intended.

Turkey look like they're an all or nothing side and will be up for tomorrow, but you could say the same about Russia 5 years ago.

Even though he scored I think it’s possible Moore is on the bench tomorrow and that we try and take Turkey’s big centre halves out of the equation by playing fast and on the break.

I agree with the Mepham sentiments in this thread and I think I’d opt for Davies and Rodon with Williams and Roberts making up a back four.

If we don’t start Kiefer then I’d have Ampadu, Allen and Ramsey in the middle with Brooks and James wider, leaving Bale in a free false nine role.

If Kiefer starts Brooks would drop out with Bale plating wider

If we continue with back 4....
    Cabango has to come in for Mepham.
    Williams for Roberts.

Also bring Ampadu in for Morrell and/or possibly Smith for Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Id consider Brooks or Wilson for Allen. Theres a reason ones at Juve and the other at Stoke. Allen was no better than Morrell on Saturday either.
    We could play Wilson and Brooks at centre half too? They'd absolutely walk through our midfield if it was Ramsey and Brooks/Wilson. For a start, neither of them would ever be in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We could play Wilson and Brooks at centre half too? They'd absolutely walk through our midfield if it was Ramsey and Brooks/Wilson. For a start, neither of them would ever be in the middle.
    Im not suggesting that. Id consider playing Ramsey and Ampadu in the centre. Morrell and Allen replaced so Brooks/Wilson or Wilson get in the 11.