Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
I should image the UK we will remain self efficient in beef , what advantage would be gained in carting beef half way around the planet its would be both costly and not very environmental friendly .

British Farmers and shops could simply produce the up marker profitable cuts , banner and sell home grown products ,and leave it to folk to decide what to buy ,,that would also assist the welfare issues and green issues .

I'd be shocked if 15 years time the markets is flooded with Aussie beef products , especially if our farmers get smart , and yes your right in 15 years time beef consumption will be greatly reduced , and we will probably be eating much more plant based food anyways , another reason for farmers to change their methods and diversify .

What is exciting is that folk under 35 will be able to travel , work and study in Australia more freely in new trade deal and visa versa
I still think it should be a scandal that despite guaranteeing that the food and animal welfare standards would be maintained, the very first thing they do is abandon them all to get a trade deal. Australian beef will be cheaper than UK beef that has to meet higher standards, even including shipping it across the world.

Even if we are "self efficient" if there are savings to be made in things like ready meals etc then they will use the cheapest sources they can find.

It just seems like a pretty poor deal just to say they have a deal in the bag.
We learned today that food exports to the EU are down by 2bn in the first quarter of 2021, whereas this deal would apparently bring in 500million (1/4 as much) over the next 15 years. I think we've been that desperate to show a potential upside to Brexit that we've agreed to a deal that will give us shit quality food, and even then it barely scrtches the surface of what we have lost.