+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: FT: FINLAND 0 - 1 RUSSIA.

FT: FINLAND 0 - 1 RUSSIA.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Russia have won all four meetings since the dissolution of the Soviet Union, scoring at least three goals in each game in Euro 1996 and 2010 World Cup qualifying.
    • Finland's only goal in those four games was scored past current Russia head coach Stanislav Cherchesov, in a 3-1 defeat in a Euro 1996 qualifier in November 1995.
    • Current Finland head coach Markku Kanerva started their 6-0 home defeat to Russia in a Euro 1996 qualifier in August 1995, while Cherchesov came on as a substitute for Russia in the second half.

Finland

• Finland could become the first side to win their first two Euros games since Croatia in 1996.
    • Finland have lost just one of their last eight competitive matches (W5, D2).
    • Joel Pohjanpalo scored Finland's first-ever goal at the European Championship against Denmark, with what was the country's first - and so far only - shot at the tournament.
    • He has scored three goals in his last three games for Finland, including a brace in the 3-2 friendly defeat to Switzerland on 31 March.

Russia

• Russia are without a win in their last six games at the European Championship, losing the last three.
    • Russia have lost four of their last six competitive games (W2), after losing just one of their previous 13.
    • Yuri Zhirkov's start versus Belgium at the age of 37 years and 296 days made him the oldest player to appear for Russia at the European Championship, breaking Sergi Ignashevich's record set at Euro 2016.

Re: FINLAND v RUSSIA. Wed June 16th ko 2pm

Weren't we linked with Glen Kamara when he was with Dundee? Impressive so far for Finland

Am I right in thinking - whoever finishes 2nd in this group plays whoever finishes 2nd in our group?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Am I right in thinking - whoever finishes 2nd in this group plays whoever finishes 2nd in our group?
    I believe so

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Weren't we linked with Glen Kamara when he was with Dundee? Impressive so far for Finland
    Yes, there was some speculation that we were after him - looks like a Premier League player to me.

A lovely finish has Russia 1-0 up at half time.

Russia looking the better side going forward but Finland good on the break. A point effectively guarantees Finland passage to the knockouts

Re: FT: FINLAND 0 - 1 RUSSIA.

I like Finland. Pity they couldn't pull a goal back.