+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FT: TURKEY 0 - 2 WALES.

FT: TURKEY 0 - 2 WALES.

Match facts

• The most recent meeting between these sides was in 1997, when Turkey won a World Cup qualifier in Istanbul 6-4 - the only time Wales have scored four times in a game but still lost.
    • Wales boss Page started in that game, having made his international debut against Turkey in 1996.
    • Turkey attempted just three shots against Italy, their lowest total in a European Championship match. None of those efforts were on target.
    • Defeat against Italy means Turkey have lost their opening match at all seven of their major tournament appearances. But they have advanced to the knockout stage the last three times they have avoided defeat in their second game (at Euro 2000 and 2008, plus the 2002 World Cup).
    • Turkey's squad has an average age of 24 days and 352 days, the lowest of any side at Euro 2020.
    • Wales have only failed to score in one of their seven European Championship matches - their 2-0 semi-final defeat to Portugal in 2016.
    • Wales have never lost a game in which Kieffer Moore has scored, while four of his six international goals have been headers.
    • Gareth Bale has failed to score in his past 12 appearances for Wales, his longest drought since a run of 20 matches between 2007 and 2010.
    • Bale has not scored a competitive international goal outside of Wales since netting in a 3-0 win versus Russia at Euro 2016.

Re: TURKEY v WALES. Wed June 16th ko 5pm

Wales have a fully fit squad to choose from, as they did against Switzerland.

Kieffer Moore, who equalised in Saturday's draw, was booked in that match and another caution would rule him out of their final group game against Italy.

Page said he was happy with his team's display after that game but hinted he could still make changes.

"There's always going to be areas of the game we want to improve on," he said.

"We're greedy as footballers and coaches, we want the perfect performance. Alright it wasn't that on Saturday but we got a point out of the game.

"We've worked on it, different areas that we need to improve on maybe. But if it all comes together we'll be in for positive performance."

Turkey also have a fully fit squad, with Gunes confirming Leicester City centre-back Caglar Soyuncu is available despite missing training on Sunday.

Cmon. This is like a knockout game now.

Lets go for it.

Can definitely win this one and I reckon that gets us through.

Italy humbled Turkey on Friday night using pace, movement and pressing high up the pitch, however the Turks did offer them the space on the wing for Italy and their full backs to exploit.

As a result I wouldn't be at all surprised if Page opted to bench Moore in favour of employing a false 9, perhaps with Brooks/Wilson replacing him. A brave shout considering Moore being integral to the majority of Wales' attacks and his ability to defend set pieces.

Nervous for this one, as a win would more or less guarantee progression to the knockout stages in my opinion and anything other than that it's hard to see how Wales can get a result in Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by SuisseBluebird View Post
    Italy humbled Turkey on Friday night using pace, movement and pressing high up the pitch, however the Turks did offer them the space on the wing for Italy and their full backs to exploit.

As a result I wouldn't be at all surprised if Page opted to bench Moore in favour of employing a false 9, perhaps with Brooks/Wilson replacing him. A brave shout considering Moore being integral to the majority of Wales' attacks and his ability to defend set pieces.

Nervous for this one, as a win would more or less guarantee progression to the knockout stages in my opinion and anything other than that it's hard to see how Wales can get a result in Rome.
    You could well be right. Particularly when you consider Moore is just one booking away from missing the Italy game.

Moore has to play and better to be booked for italy than knockout game.

Maybe try 3.5.2 with ampadu replace Morrell Dan James and Robert's as wing backs Bale and Moore upfront.

Forget Italy. This is a must win. Moore has to play.

I cant see any logic whatsoever in leaving him out.

No chance Moore is left out of the side.

Same team selection as The Swiss game

Same team.
    Insanity not plugging the hole in our midfield, Morrell, Ramsey and Allen offer no protection.

Has morrell kept his place because he delivered the ball in for Moore?

If we had lost 3-0 would the team have been unchanged because that's what it should have been.

Ampadu and Williams should have both come in.

Ampadu obviously not fit. Would have liked to have Neco in the defence

Same team surprises me.

Happy to see Moore start even though I suggested he maybe dropped, that was purely to reference the approach Italy took.

However I would have liked to have seen wing backs with Turkey potentially inclined to give us the wings to roam in. Williams and Ampadu introduced into the team instead of Allen and Morrell. Would have Wales with Rodon, Mepham, Davies and Ampadu holding the line whilst Roberts, Williams and Ramsey look to bring the forwards into the game.

In Page we trust let's hope the roll of the dice with 4-3-3 and an unchanged line up works.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Same team.
    Insanity not plugging the hole in our midfield, Morrell, Ramsey and Allen offer no protection.

Has morrell kept his place because he delivered the ball in for Moore?

If we had lost 3-0 would the team have been unchanged because that's what it should have been.

Ampadu and Williams should have both come in.
    Totally agree. We are told this is a fully fit squad so why is Morrell favoured over Ampadu? Roberts ahead of Williams is disappointing too.

I can only agree with the criticism of the selection, not just because all of the players apart from Dan James played ninety minutes in very hot conditions on Saturday. The fact we only used two subs was a surprise - we hear the talk about how there is more squad depth these days and yet, up to now at least, the impression Rob Page is giving is that he doesn’t believe that.

We scrapped our way to a pretty fortunate draw against the Swiss and it wasn’t a display which deserved a same again from the manager in my opinion - I reckon nearly all of the team will have to up their performance by about fifty per cent for us to be in with a shout of getting the win we need.

2-0 Turkey. That lineup is criminal wtf is Page thinking

Also surprised not to see Williams and Amapdu involved. I know that in theory it's not absolutely 'must win' today but it'll be asking a lot to get anything out of Italy in Rome even if it's their 2nd string team we play.
    Giggos often proved me wrong with his selections too though so hopefully Page has got this one right.

Mark Lawrenson true to form picks Turkey to win. Has he ever picked Wales, City or Swansea to win a game?

Not the team I would have picked. I think that Page will have to be more proactive with his substitutions if we're going to get anything out of this game.

Page with tears in eyes whilst singing the anthem

Beddau flag on display!

We are on top. Turkey are there for the taking.

Hope we don't rue these missed chances.

Should be three up.

That was a booking ffs.

turks starting to look lively . i've predicted we wont win a single game

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    turks starting to look lively . i've predicted we wont win a single game
    Mark Lawrenson II.