+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 121

Thread: Working from Home.

  1. #21

    Re: Working from Home.

    "Hey guys, we need you back in the office"

    "Why?"

    "Because Greggs are struggling without office workers coming in, it's a loss to the economy"

    "But, I still buy lunch everyday. Just not at Gregg's. I buy them at John's place in my town"

    "Ah, but there's the problem. Greggs has a CEO who is a funder of political parties. What he says goes"

    Sod that.

  2. #22

    Re: Working from Home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    What? You don't think people working from home was always on the cards? Do you seriously think people going to offices (increasing costs of renting for companies) is going to save jobs? People working from home is going to save jobs. Funny thing is, I just got a job in London, on London wages, but I will be based in South Wales. I may have to go to London now and then and if it gets crap, I can apply for a job anywhere in the UK without leaving my house or moving the family, or spending time away.

    We live once. Why waste it in a car burning dinosaurs, listening to Radio 5 and looking at someone's bumper in the pouring rain? Just because you are scared of change, doesn't mean it won't happen.
    Similar story, started a European role back in April 2020, home based but expectancy that I'd be travelling once a week around Western Europe and away a couple of nights a week. We adapted to COVID-19 very quickly and now anyone outside of a physical operation is working at home and we'll likely stay that way, with occasional travel. Similarly many roles I see advertised are now UK-based with occasional office visit as opposed to a physical location. Can only be a good thing.

    I've loved being at home more and spending time with family, and the fact that as long as the work gets done to deadlines, I can do it when I like. Obvious caveats around what sector you're in, but for back office or commercial functions, can only think it's a good thing.

  3. #23

    Re: Working from Home.

    It's not necessary that binary in deciding whether to go into work or to work from home: many people now appreciate the advantage of a hybrid system whereby we can have a mixture of both options.

  4. #24

    Re: Working from Home.

    I think it’s a fair point about the possibility of UK home workers being replaced by cheaper, foreign Labour, but I worked from home for three and a half days a week all through the noughties and had to work to an increased target as a trade off for doing so. I’ll not lie, there’d be afternoons where I’d be sat down drinking a cup of tea and watching a test match, but only because I’d worked really hard in the morning to clear my desk so to speak. Also, I couldn’t nip out to do some shopping/go for a pint etc because my phone would ring in the office and so they would have known if I’d gone out. Working from home isn’t for everyone, but I was grateful for it and I used to like going into the office a lot more than I did when I was there every day, but because of the “social side” of office life, I got a lot more done at home than I ever did in the office.

  5. #25

    Re: Working from Home.

    I think we'll look at a hybrid model which will just about keep everyone happy.

    But if they want people enthusiastic about returning to the office they should consider why people don't want to. For those using the road system I'm sure they're sick of endless traffic and for those using public transport I'm sure they're sick of the cost, the crowding and randomness of when the service will turn up.

    Lot's of good reasons to go back in but there's certainly things that can be improved upon.

  6. #26

    Re: Working from Home.

    Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I think we'll look at a hybrid model which will just about keep everyone happy.

    But if they want people enthusiastic about returning to the office they should consider why people don't want to. For those using the road system I'm sure they're sick of endless traffic and for those using public transport I'm sure they're sick of the cost, the crowding and randomness of when the service will turn up.

    Lot's of good reasons to go back in but there's certainly things that can be improved upon.
    I agree. - but who is "they" here? Govt? I think employers themselves need to think too. An office now has to provide more than just a work space. It has to offer something extra- collaboration being the obvious one. It costs me about 30 and 2 hours of my day every time I go in, so I only do it about twice a week and I choose those days carefully.

  7. #27

    Re: Working from Home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's not necessary that binary in deciding whether to go into work or to work from home: many people now appreciate the advantage of a hybrid system whereby we can have a mixture of both options.
    It's nice to see work colleagues regularly, though.

  8. #28
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    11,463

    Re: Working from Home.

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It's nice to see work colleagues regularly, though.
    Work colleagues, you say? Yes, in my experience work colleagues are the best sort of colleagues. I'm sure I read TBG saying something very similar about work colleagues in the past. He always has good things to say about his former work colleagues.

  9. #29

    Re: Working from Home.

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It's nice to see work colleagues regularly, though.
    I would prefer to stay home and see more of my family relatives

  10. #30

    Re: Working from Home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    The same highstreet where huge companies like Debenhams swallowed up independent retailers you mean? The same sector that is now crying foul because of retail evolution and bigger sharks like Amazon, you mean? The same sector that didn't adapt to on-line retail in time, you mean?

    The highstreet is failing because it is expensive, unnecessary, and outdated.
    Re. your 3 replies to my post, I think you're completely missing the point. Anyway. Change doesn't bother me, I've lived a full life so far, and apart from the occasional daily 15 minutes on CCMB etc., I've done things that nowadays admittedly seem 'outdated'. Like shopping for food and clothing etc., in real places, meeting real people. Talking to real people face-to-face, seeing what they look like below their shoulders. Meeting work. business colleagues, nights out, actually going out each and every day having different experiences, the same with the Missus, swapping notes. Of course, I could now do all that looking a screen no bigger than a fag packet, without leaving my bedroom - maybe my bed.
    You post rude aggressive replies to a perfectly reasonable opinion, and assume that you are correct, better able to judge, and I am some sort of dinosaur. The irony is lost on you, no doubt.

  11. #31

    Re: Working from Home.

    Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Re. your 3 replies to my post, I think you're completely missing the point. Anyway. Change doesn't bother me, I've lived a full life so far, and apart from the occasional daily 15 minutes on CCMB etc., I've done things that nowadays admittedly seem 'outdated'. Like shopping for food and clothing etc., in real places, meeting real people. Talking to real people face-to-face, seeing what they look like below their shoulders. Meeting work. business colleagues, nights out, actually going out each and every day having different experiences, the same with the Missus, swapping notes. Of course, I could now do all that looking a screen no bigger than a fag packet, without leaving my bedroom - maybe my bed.
    You post rude aggressive replies to a perfectly reasonable opinion, and assume that you are correct, better able to judge, and I am some sort of dinosaur. The irony is lost on you, no doubt.
    I only replied twice and you were the one labelling productive people like myself slackers for being able to work from home without adult supervision. Something you obviously require.
    Yes, everyone who works from home does nothing but stay at home all day. We crave a life of meeting old Mrs. Muggles in the pasta aisle in Tesco.

    My opinion is perfectly reasonable, clogging roads up with cars is so last year.

  12. #32

    Re: Working from Home.

    There's a difference with being 'somewhere' and being available within certain stipulated hours and completing tasks that one's job entails, of course.

  13. #33

    Re: Working from Home.

    Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post

    With that in mind, I'd say there's still ground to be made for a lot of companies, but the flexibility of remote/hybrid working is a big thing for younger generations and I expect it to now be the norm going forward. Companies will have to adapt to what people want and change their attitudes, or risk losing out on talent, especially in sectors like tech and IT.
    This is spot on, if you dont offer it then you lose out on potential staff, were currently recruiting hundreds across the EU and its always amongst the first set of questions. Were letting our Finance, Purchasing, IT people have hybrid contracts

  14. #34

    Re: Working from Home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    I only replied twice and you were the one labelling productive people like myself slackers for being able to work from home without adult supervision. Something you obviously require.
    Yes, everyone who works from home does nothing but stay at home all day. We crave a life of meeting old Mrs. Muggles in the pasta aisle in Tesco.

    My opinion is perfectly reasonable, clogging roads up with cars is so last year.
    Eastbourne blue posted 'slackers'. You missed, and still missed completely the point I was making. Others understood and replied accordingly. Excitable little chap ain't you !

  15. #35

    Re: Working from Home.

    Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Eastbourne blue posted 'slackers'.
    And you said
    Well, there must be an element of truth in that, however from what little I've gleaned from people who are WFH is that they're 'monitored' on their daily activity - not exactly my idea of fun. The extrapolation from that is my main point, ie, these are jobs that could in many cases be easily moved overseas.
    I do wonder what your job is/was. I suspect it wasn't managerial but, if it was, I suspect you were one of those managers that micro-managed everyone and treated them like kids and then felt justified when they were worn down enough to start taking the piss.

    You made a supposition that jobs would move abroad because people can do the jobs anywhere. You then backed up your lack of logical thought with a claim that was equally illogical. That if people went from back to the office, somehow these jobs would become protected. These people have been doing these jobs at home for 18 months. Do you really think that people going back to the office (extra real estate costs for the companies) now is going to make it less likely for companies to outsource?

    Do you think that companies who have moved production to China, South East Asia and East Europe over the last 10-20 years did so because all the factory workers were working from home.

    You are talking out of your arse, an habit it seems you are incapable of kicking. Clueless.

  16. #36

    Re: Working from Home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    And you said


    I do wonder what your job is/was. I suspect it wasn't managerial but, if it was, I suspect you were one of those managers that micro-managed everyone and treated them like kids and then felt justified when they were worn down enough to start taking the piss.

    You made a supposition that jobs would move abroad because people can do the jobs anywhere. You then backed up your lack of logical thought with a claim that was equally illogical. That if people went from back to the office, somehow these jobs would become protected. These people have been doing these jobs at home for 18 months. Do you really think that people going back to the office (extra real estate costs for the companies) now is going to make it less likely for companies to outsource?

    Do you think that companies who have moved production to China, South East Asia and East Europe over the last 10-20 years did so because all the factory workers were working from home.

    You are talking out of your arse, an habit it seems you are incapable of kicking. Clueless.
    You're losing it, son. Calm down and enjoy life..

  17. #37

    Re: Working from Home.

    Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    You're losing it, son. Calm down and enjoy life..
    Usually replying this or "stop taking the board so seriously" means someone's lost the argument

  18. #38

    Re: Working from Home.

    Little wonder the UK's productivity is far below some countries. British managers are far more concerned about the hours staff put in rather than their output. If people can meet their targets in as short a time as possible, do we really need snoopers to insist the full quota of hours are completed?

  19. #39

    Re: Working from Home.

    Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Usually replying this or "stop taking the board so seriously" means someone's lost the argument
    Stop being so serious, Delm.

  20. #40
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    10,599

    Re: Working from Home.

    Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Usually replying this or "stop taking the board so seriously" means someone's lost the argument
    Oi!! You 'aving a dig sonny? 🤣😀
    Last edited by xsnaggle; 19-06-21 at 17:28. Reason: Predictive text

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •