+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spare a thought for Ryan Giggs

Re: Spare a thought for Ryan Giggs

most I knew at the time who were city / wales fans were annoyed when he didnt turn up for a friendly as he was injured but in 3 days time would be bombing down the wing for Utd ( we all knew it was a convenient injury so he didnt need to travel )

now of course, people will say " but he turned up for the game that mattered " which is true, but these friendlies are played as part of training and a full team just might have been the difference of us winning the next game or not, we then have to ask ourselves, what was the point of us fans shelling out our hard earned money to watch a friendly ?

he made his choices then and must live them then now ( though i suspect he doesnt really care that much )

He quit international football mid group and said he would have done it even if Wales could have qualified.

62 caps but never showed up for Wales games ffs 🤣🤣

I remember fans moaning he didn't turn up for friendlies but neither did they

Putting his personal life aside and concentrating on his footballing career, he played until he was 40 and at the highest level. No doubt that was partly due rationing himself to playing in meaningful games and missing Wales friendlies was hardly a cardinal sin in my humble opinion.

Feedback

Wales are unbeaten since Ryan Giggs left.

Just like his wife

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    Wales are unbeaten since Ryan Giggs left.

Just like his wife

I like him as a footballer and a coach.

His personal life is sod all to do with me. He was an adulterer, I bet most pro footballers are and many people on this board are.

He's been accused of hitting his wife. Lets wait to see if he's guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I like him as a footballer and a coach.

His personal life is sod all to do with me. He was an adulterer, I bet most pro footballers are and many people on this board are.

He's been accused of hitting his wife. Lets wait to see if he's guilty.
    There's adultery and then there's sleeping with your brother's wife for 8 years. Smiling your way through all those family gatherings, their kids hanging out with Uncle Ryan, that's some cold heartedness I can't get my head around.

Also I believe it's headbutting his partner he's been accused of

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    There's adultery and then there's sleeping with your brother's wife for 8 years. Smiling your way through all those family gatherings, their kids hanging out with Uncle Ryan, that's some cold heartedness I can't get my head around.

Also I believe it's headbutting his partner he's been accused of
    Maybe they weren't a family like yours or mine so none of that had to happen. Maybe they wee madly in love and mulled over running off together and living happily ever after.

He was and still is IMO the best player to come out of Wales in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    62 caps but never showed up for Wales games ffs 🤣🤣
    62 caps for a player with his talent and long career is pitiful. Gunter has over 30 more!!
    He’s a rat..

I believe that there comes a point when shitness eclipses greatness. I think Giggs is getting there.

Also, you can come back from sporting failure. I don't think the same can be said for physically abusing women.

Even if he came to manage Cardiff City and got us into the Europa League , I don't think I'd ever feel entirely comfortable sharing such a happy moment with a fella like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I believe that there comes a point when shitness eclipses greatness. I think Giggs is getting there.

Also, you can come back from sporting failure. I don't think the same can be said for physically abusing women.

Even if he came to manage Cardiff City and got us into the Europa League , I don't think I'd ever feel entirely comfortable sharing such a happy moment with a fella like that.
    Anthony Joshua seems to do alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn! View Post
    That's pretty unfair mate.

I'm not going to defend his personal life as it does some pretty chaotic and he obviously has many issues, but in a football capacity he get's way too much stick form Welsh people.

64 caps for Wales, more than Chris Coleman for example and many of the Welsh cult hero players. Didn't play friendlies, who cares? I've seen this board clamour for Kieffer Moore not to be played in Wales games to give him a rest, how times have changed. Do we slate Rambo for only playing a handful of Wales games recently?

In games his output for Wales was on par with his performances for Man Utd, so you can't throw the 'he didn't care' stick at him either.

As a manger, he qualified for a major tournament at the first attempt while blooding numerous youngsters and giving the likes of Kieffer Moore, James Lawrence etc their chance at international level.

From my point of view his biggest 'football' crime was playing for Man Utd during a very successful period. Lots of Welsh people support Liverpool or have a very strange hatred of Man Utd in the 90's, and dislike him just for that reason. Pretty pathetic. As a City fan, I couldn't give a toss about who he played for considering that for the majority of that era, we were at the lower end of the football league, Man Utd was not really on my radar.

He has pissed on his chips royally though, and he has wasted a huge opportunity to lead his country on the world stage. I don't think he can continue to be Wales manager and I think he should resign. But don't forget, this is his team, he got us here, you have to give him credit for that.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    most I knew at the time who were city / wales fans were annoyed when he didnt turn up for a friendly as he was injured but in 3 days time would be bombing down the wing for Utd ( we all knew it was a convenient injury so he didnt need to travel )

now of course, people will say " but he turned up for the game that mattered " which is true, but these friendlies are played as part of training and a full team just might have been the difference of us winning the next game or not, we then have to ask ourselves, what was the point of us fans shelling out our hard earned money to watch a friendly ?

he made his choices then and must live them then now ( though i suspect he doesnt really care that much )
    It's well documented that Alex Ferguson put huge pressure on his players not to play in friendlies. I can't say I blame either of them really. As for shelling out your hard-earned money, that's up to you, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Maybe they weren't a family like yours or mine so none of that had to happen. Maybe they wee madly in love and mulled over running off together and living happily ever after.

He was and still is IMO the best player to come out of Wales in my lifetime.
    What, better than Bale? - No way!
    Giggs had pace, but Bale was another level. Bale could influence a game far greater than Giggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post

Playing devils advocate, would you say the same about Craig Bellamy?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    What, better than Bale? - No way!
    Giggs had pace, but Bale was another level. Bale could influence a game far greater than Giggs.
    I agree, time was Giggs supporters could point to his medal collection as proof of being the better of the two, but I heard Nathan Blake reading out what Bale had won at Real Madrid and it no longer applies - he's won four Champions League winners medals and with at least of them, he had a major influence in deciding the outcome of the Final. Given Bale's attitude to his home country as well, he has to be, possibly, the best Wales player ever and definitely above Giggs.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    at least a few times a night

bored in town ? ? ? go and abuse Danny

Saw a picture of Danny a few years back, looks like a old man now ( which i know he is )
    Danny Wilson was always a sombre, unsmiling character, whenever I saw him working the doors (okay, perhaps understandable in that profession) and he looked exactly the same whenever 'relaxing' over a pint down the docks too. He always seemed 'on edge', almost waiting for something to happen.

Wilson used to beat Gigg's mother, which is why he later disowned his father.
    They say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    62 caps for a player with his talent and long career is pitiful. Gunter has over 30 more!!
    He’s a rat..
    Craig Bellamy 78 caps
    Dean Saunders 75 caps
    Ian Rush 73 caps
    Mark Hughes 72 caps

Does the same apply to these also?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree, time was Giggs supporters could point to his medal collection as proof of being the better of the two, but I heard Nathan Blake reading out what Bale had won at Real Madrid and it no longer applies - he's won four Champions League winners medals and with at least of them, he had a major influence in deciding the outcome of the Final. Given Bale's attitude to his home country as well, he has to be, possibly, the best Wales player ever and definitely above Giggs.
    An overhead kick goal no less….incredible really.

Giggs v Bale. Both world class players.

I think at his absolute best Bale with his power and pace was the more complete player hes even brilliant in the air.

If it comes to early career the younger Giggs was a far better player than the younger version of Bale.

The older version of Giggs is also better than the older Bale.

There is no way at 30 there would be talk of Giggs going to China.

Bale at his absolute best was almost unplayable. I think at his best he edges it.

Giggs though throughout his career and longevity was a better player at different ages.

Off the pitch its not a discussion.

Excluding Internationals, when he retired at 31 Giggs had played 672 'league matches'.
    At 31 Bales has played 377.

Those stats represent 15yr periods for both players, so Giggs has played on average nearly 20 more games a season than Bale.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Excluding Internationals, when he retired at 31 Giggs had played 672 'league matches'.
    At 31 Bales has played 377.

Those stats represent 15yr periods for both players, so Giggs has played on average nearly 20 more games a season than Bale.
    Giggs retired at 40. Your 20 games a season more is way off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Playing devils advocate, would you say the same about Craig Bellamy?
    Has Bellamy abused women? Nothing has been said or written regarding that, he supposedly bullied youngsters, but that was brought against him apparently by parent who didn’t like his son being dropped from the team. Nothing actually proved.