.unbeaten in 29..
    what price a goal for little Wales?

Re: Italy..last 10 games...

All runs come to an end sometime.

Harry Wilson to score

Scenario
    Our reserves are found wanting and after an hour we're 3 down..
    at the same time the Swiss have gone 2 up..
    do we bring Bale..Ramsey on to try and get an important goal?

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    All runs come to an end sometime.
    Exactly. This is the best time to play them!

The players will want to play in Rome.
    Expect changes at half time if it's all going well. No way will we rest our best players.

We all want to win. The team will want to win. We will be complete underdogs. But wouldn't a score draw be the best result?

Second place looks like the way to an 'easier' last 16 match than group winners.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    We all want to win. The team will want to win. We will be complete underdogs. But wouldn't a score draw be the best result?

Second place looks like the way to an 'easier' last 16 match than group winners.
    Absolutely this, yes.

Italy keep their record intact, we get to five points with a decent chance of progressing to the quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Absolutely this, yes.

Italy keep their record intact, we get to five points with a decent chance of progressing to the quarters.
    They'd lose their clean sheet record.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    They'd lose their clean sheet record.
    This is true.

They would be unbeaten in thirty though.

Nil nil would suit too.

An early Turkey goal would be nice to settle the nerves a bit.

If nothing else I want to come 2nd because it means we play at 5pm on a Saturday, with another game to follow at 8pm

Teams on unbeaten runs tend to get more paranoid as the run goes on. Italy will be shitting themselves at the thought of playing us, I’m convinced of it, I noticed loads of things that we can exploit, they’re liable to implode.......... oh, hang on that was 1966 against North Korea.

I'm hoping for Rambo to have a word with a few of his club mates and agree a mutually beneficial 0-0 with no bookings for either side

Bizarre but true that finishing 2nd would give us a better path ( no easy sides etc.)

Wales #WAL most likely opponents in Round of 16:

Denmark - 43.0%
    Russia - 27.1%
    Finland - 8.6%
    Ukraine - 8.4%
    Austria - 5.1%
    Belgium - 4.9%

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Teams on unbeaten runs tend to get more paranoid as the run goes on. Italy will be shitting themselves at the thought of playing us, I’m convinced of it, I noticed loads of things that we can exploit, they’re liable to implode.......... oh, hang on that was 1966 against North Korea.

Trying to work through the permutations earlier. A second place finish with Russia finishing 2nd in their group would probably be the best result for us on balance.

Winning the group would probably see us play Austria or Ukraine, not daunting in itself but stronger than Russia on paper I’d argue, but I think this would be played at Wembley which is the closest we’d get to a “home” tie. Saying that, I’d rather this route should we finish 2nd and Denmark finish second in their group.

3rd place permutations, if I’ve understood correctly, would see us play either Belgium, the winners of the France/Germany/Portugal (gulp) group or the winners of Poland/Slovakia/Spain/Sweden group. Still a lot of football to be played in these groups though and all depends which combination of third placed teams qualify in determining their opponents. If we’d finish third then the best we could hope for would be playing one of probably Poland/Slovakia/Spain/Sweden, which would be at Hampden - so I guess the second closest thing we’d get to a “home” tie.

International

Wales's recent form isn't too shoddy if you look at it.
    and what about this 'clean sheet'? I read yesterday somewhere that in their winning run they've had 3 goals scored against them..
    Another point was that they haven't played any of the really top teams in those 29 matches. They're very good with the ball but no one knows what they are like for extended periods without it. (Not that that should be an issue with Wales )

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Wales's recent form isn't too shoddy if you look at it.
    and what about this 'clean sheet'? I read yesterday somewhere that in their winning run they've had 3 goals scored against them..
    Another point was that they haven't played any of the really top teams in those 29 matches. They're very good with the ball but no one knows what they are like for extended periods without it. (Not that that should be an issue with Wales )
    They've had 10 clean sheets in a row.

https://uk.soccerway.com/teams/italy.../1318/matches/

International

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    They've had 10 clean sheets in a row.

https://uk.soccerway.com/teams/italy.../1318/matches/
    It's only 10!!! Pah!!!!

Think it depends on how Bale and Ramsey feel, as to whether they can play a 3rd match in 8 days. If rested I'd expect even a 2nd string Italy to be too much, though I don't think they will rest many either, all about momentum for them surely.

Assuming we are through as either 2nd or 3rd, it's at least a nice week break to the next match.

Likes of Kieffer and Davies may well get a rest due to the bookings.

Think we will score though.

How they quite comfortably dealt with Switzerland who caused us plenty of problems is a worry.