+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Following the Coca Cola Incident

Following the Coca Cola Incident

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...hB2kgD3Xt23g8E

Norway threatened with sanctions over Qatar

Another smack in the face really

Re: Following the Coca Cola Incident

Say no to prejudice, no one should be treated worse because of who they're born....except if that creates tension with a large financial backer in which case say no very quietly in a way that doesn't offend the backer and be prepared to look away.

Was it Bendtner a number of years ago who got a larger fine for revealing logo on his boxers (a competitor with sponsor of the tournament) than a club with racist fans a few months before that incident?

Full credit to Christiano Ronaldo for calling for water instead of fizzy pop.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Say no to prejudice, no one should be treated worse because of who they're born....except if that creates tension with a large financial backer in which case say no very quietly in a way that doesn't offend the backer and be prepared to look away.

Was it Bendtner a number of years ago who got a larger fine for revealing logo on his boxers (a competitor with sponsor of the tournament) than a club with racist fans a few months before that incident?

Full credit to Christiano Ronaldo for calling for water instead of fizzy pop.
    Every young person should be shown that video , that fizzy type pop is addictive and in my humble view a health risk and potentially a long term killer

Article suggests on average 12 workers have died a week there. I get health and safety isn't as stringent but that seems extraordinarily high. You would think they were building pyramids.

Continues to show up what an awful decision it was to award to a country with no footballing infrastructure who have to build everything up in the soaring heat double quick.

Imagine all teams just pull out and go and play an unofficial tournament somewhere. Let fifa crown Qatar world champs or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Every young person should be shown that video , that fizzy type pop is addictive and in my humble view a health risk and potentially a long term killer
    It can't be great for you, I enjoy it every now and then, mainly as a mixer but know some who drink at everyday like water. It can't be good.

I guess his opinions have changed as I'm sure like most top players he has appeared in a coke or Pepsi advert at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...hB2kgD3Xt23g8E

Norway threatened with sanctions over Qatar

Another smack in the face really
    I am genuinely surprised that the governing bodies of the main footballing nations haven't already got together to determine that they will not play in Qatar but instead will have their own tournament at the same time, in a country of their choosing. FIFA and UEFA are utterly dreadful. Quatar was a moronic decision even before the human rights issues. It should never have made the shortlist; it should never have been picked; and it should not go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I am genuinely surprised that the governing bodies of the main footballing nations haven't already got together to determine that they will not play in Qatar but instead will have their own tournament at the same time, in a country of their choosing. FIFA and UEFA are utterly dreadful. Quatar was a moronic decision even before the human rights issues. It should never have made the shortlist; it should never have been picked; and it should not go ahead.
    I guess the implications for doing that would be massive.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I guess the implications for doing that would be massive.
    yes it would mean the end of FIFA essentially. Unless they decide to revisit their decision they'd be basically thrown overboard by mutineers.

Am i being too cynical here? It seems Coca Cola have recieved more publicity after the Ronaldo stunt then they ever would've receievd without it?

No publicity is bad publicity and all that

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    yes it would mean the end of FIFA essentially. Unless they decide to revisit their decision they'd be basically thrown overboard by mutineers.
    That would be the nice outcome, but also years of lawsuits from sponsors, stadiums, whoever. One long and unpleasant civil war with probably not much organised football being played while everyone jockeys for a power grab in a vacuum.

I'm not saying this as defence of FIFA, as the Qatar decision was appalling at the time and seems even more so now that so many have died in slavery conditions. It's awful and I'd be amazed if it's not criminal. The oil-rich state didn't win the bid on footballing terms

Glancing at the FIFA council list, I clicked on David Martin who is a member and also the president of the Irish FA. I imagine there is a lot of personnel crossover between FIFA and individual FAs, so it doesn't surprised me that the FAs haven't quit FIFA in protest at it.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ-Q View Post
    Am i being too cynical here? It seems Coca Cola have recieved more publicity after the Ronaldo stunt then they ever would've receievd without it?

An example of this would be the title of this thread.

I don't think Ronaldo was incentivized to spread the name of that fizzy pop brand though so think his actions can be treated genuinely even if outcome has been less pure.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Article suggests on average 12 workers have died a week there. I get health and safety isn't as stringent but that seems extraordinarily high. You would think they were building pyramids.

Continues to show up what an awful decision it was to award to a country with no footballing infrastructure who have to build everything up in the soaring heat double quick.

Imagine all teams just pull out and go and play an unofficial tournament somewhere. Let fifa crown Qatar world champs or whatever.
    That figure is difficult to get your head around, isn't it? You just picture in your mind's eye the makeshift coffins leaving the various sites every week. How could such a thing, in an oil-rich country, that has money to throw at any project, allow that to continue?
    The Qatar government and FIFA have come under constant criticism almost from the start of the building project about workers' working and living conditions and yet it still carries on!

I worked on the Heathrow T5 project back in 2002 - 2005. It was the biggest construction project in Europe at the time (5.5 Billion). We had a safety campaign to aim for 'Zero Lost Hours'. Sadly, we lost a worker on the main site. We were all sent home that day and had a meeting the next day before work resumed. Management were genuinely distraught at the single workers' loss of life, as we all were.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    That would be the nice outcome, but also years of lawsuits from sponsors, stadiums, whoever. One long and unpleasant civil war with probably not much organised football being played while everyone jockeys for a power grab in a vacuum.

I'm not saying this as defence of FIFA, as the Qatar decision was appalling at the time and seems even more so now that so many have died in slavery conditions. It's awful and I'd be amazed if it's not criminal. The oil-rich state didn't win the bid on footballing terms

Glancing at the FIFA council list, I clicked on David Martin who is a member and also the president of the Irish FA. I imagine there is a lot of personnel crossover between FIFA and individual FAs, so it doesn't surprised me that the FAs haven't quit FIFA in protest at it.
    No I agree. On both points. It would effectively be a massive game of chicken. It's a bit like the ESL thing, except there the governing body actually had fans (and doing the right thing) on their side. It is popular opinion that rightly killed the ESL - had people been behind it, I am sure it would have been successful. I've no idea who supports the Qatar world cup but if you were to survey football club season ticket holders in the countries that will compete in the world cup, I imagine that the majority would not be in support. I think football would still go on - national FAs would still continue. FIFA might not like it and might "ban" it, but so what? They don't own football, it's not theirs to take off anyone. They can prevent nations and clubs from entering "their" competitions but that's fine, you just set up mirror ones.

And yes there is too much crossover on these bodies. They should be independent as conflicts of interest could arise. (And the guy you've picked was actually removed from roles of authority in the past for incompetence and was only allowed back in to the Irish FA when the competence rules were dropped.). Doesn't the Welsh FA have a disproportionately large influence at FIFA too- some historic constitutional rule or something?

""Cristiano Ronaldo’s removal of two Coca-Cola bottles during a press conference at the*European Championship*has coincided with a $4bn fall in the share price of the drinks company.""

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Article suggests on average 12 workers have died a week there. I get health and safety isn't as stringent but that seems extraordinarily high. .
    I bet none are locals, my experience is the 90% of “workers” are Indian or Sri Lankan, the locals won’t do the dirty work.

Tell that to Gerald Ratner.

I tend to agree. What made me chuckle was that evidently the owner of the water brand that he held up was ........Coca cola

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I bet none are locals, my experience is the 90% of “workers” are Indian or Sri Lankan, the locals won’t do the dirty work.
    For sure, the locals won't soil their hands. You are right, mostly Indian and Sri Lankan workers. Not even the traditional cheap labour markets of Indonesia and the Philippines would touch this Dickensian project.

It's not like they're short a few quid, why not just make their sites safe? Even if it's just for the sake of avoiding negative PR.

Difficult to get your head around 12 workers dying every week. Any idea how many construction workers there are in Qatar? So sad that these people are so desperate for work that they have to accept such dangerous conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    ""Cristiano Ronaldo’s removal of two Coca-Cola bottles during a press conference at the*European Championship*has coincided with a $4bn fall in the share price of the drinks company.""
    It also coincided with coca cola paying dividends, and people who bought the share just for that will have sold. This is the real reason for the drop, which was only from $56 to $55. In February, the share was $48.

It shows what a problem there is when a guy who is telling people to drink water is being smeared

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    They are all foreign. Also from Nepal, Bangladesh and Pakistan.

In UAE, over 80% of the people 'living' there are foreign.

They should contact Rocnation.