+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tories get a leathering

Re: Tories get a leathering

I make it Wilson in the lead by a nose, cheers for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    If you look back through the previous elections though 2017 is very much an anomaly. I would have thought that was likely to have been far more about Brexit than an endorsement of Corbyn's labour.

In every other election there Labour haven't finished higher than third.
    Probably, although Corbyn wasn't exactly pro Brexit. The reality is that he hates the EU (as i do) Because of EU Austerity, the rise in unemployment and the formation of far right groups has boomed, although i think that we've had that conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I make it Wilson in the lead by a nose, cheers for that.
    The Tories had never got less than 50% of the vote previously. Suddenly it's in the mid 30s. If the Tory vote holds then it doesn't matter what labour or the lib dems do

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I keep waiting for the backlash against the Tories, who are in my opinion, the most corrupt, inadequate and useless bunch of grifters ever to govern.

And yes we keep waiting, and waiting.

Maybe this is a slight blip or the start of the english middle classes finally having enough of tory lies and uselessness.
    Could well be. Then they'll ditch the conservatives and go and vote for ... oh, hang on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    In 2017, Corbyn received 20.6% of the vote in this constituency, under starmer, 1.6%.
    Wow left leaning Chesham and Amersham , who would have thought that ,does this confirm Starmer is a Tory ?

Still doesn't totally explain the big swing to Liberals though ?

It’s funny, all of the news outlets that I’ve heard, seen or read think the main story from this by election is that the Conservatives lost a seat that has always been theirs, but on a Cardiff City messageboard they’ve decided the issue worth talking about is what happened to the Labour Party

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It’s funny, all of the news outlets that I’ve heard, seen or read think the main story from this by election is that the Conservatives lost a seat that has always been theirs, but on a Cardiff City messageboard they’ve decided the issue worth talking about is what happened to the Labour Party
    some of the Tory press have predictably tried to frame this story as a labour one

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Fair point, although i only added to it!

No credible alternative to the Conservatives

This was a one off , whatever the liberals think

Unless a I don't vote tory alliance is formed sharpish then that's it , curtains

Regarding this latest MP, has anyone mentioned she's from Harry Wilson's Corwen?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    No credible alternative to the Conservatives

This was a one off , whatever the liberals think

Unless a I don't vote tory alliance is formed sharpish then that's it , curtains
    We are at the point where, to get rid of the Tories, we need an alliance of Plaid, Greens, SNP, Labour and the LibDems

Plaid and SNP would want a committment to a referendum on independence. Labour and the LibDems would never agree.

However surely even independence can be parked for a few years just to get rid of the Tories.

We are at the point where, to get rid of the Tories, we need an alliance of Plaid, Greens, SNP, Labour and the LibDems

Plaid and SNP would want a committment to a referendum on independence. Labour and the LibDems would never agree.

However surely even independence can be parked for a few years just to get rid of the Tories.
    Why would Plaid, Lib Dems, Greens and SNP want to form an alliance with the bunch of has beens called Labour. Not everyone wants to get rid of the Tories anyway - including the nearly 14 million people who voted for them in the election just 18 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Why would Plaid, Lib Dems, Greens and SNP want to form an alliance with the bunch of has beens called Labour. Not everyone wants to get rid of the Tories anyway - including the nearly 14 million people who voted for them in the election just 18 months ago.
    The majority of those who voted , by a large margin , want to get rid of the tories

They are too stubborn to realise though that in order to do so they need to merge

The UK has been a two party state for many many years

The sensible approach for those who don't vote tory and thats most of the country would be to form a anti tory alliance

Its the only way forward now the Scots have turned their back on Labour and its going the same way in England

Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in a cloud of mushrooms

The Labour Party and Liberals need to fold and form a third way and mop up other parties , plaid are a waste of time , SNP have killed off Labour in Scotland

Vote Third Way

The Labour Party and Liberals need to fold and form a third way and mop up other parties , plaid are a waste of time , SNP have killed off Labour in Scotland
    Don't you mean killed ?

Agreed.

I'm pro-independence, but first and foremost, we have to get rid of the Tories.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Ed Davey's reaction to the victory reminded me of David Steel's 'Go back to your constituencies and prepare for Government' speech years ago.

We're still waiting.
    That did cross my mind , I wonder if the Bucks NIMBY voters will seek clarity from Ed Davey on his view on his housing strategy especially those adversely effected in the wonderful leafy /wealthy suburban areas .

Affordable housing , new trains yes , but not near us .

Agreed.

I'm pro-independence, but first and foremost, we have to get rid of the Tories.
    Less of the ‘we’ please. Its your personal opinion only.

Less of the ‘we’ please. Its your personal opinion only.
    Its the majority opinion of those who vote and has been for years

You are clearly a tory thats up to you , but most of the country are not

He's the only Tory in the Village.

International

And even more of the country definitely are not labour, specially in Amersham.

A new inclusive party for those .....most .....that don't vote for the blue nasty mob would clean up . As it is the opposition is split as it always has been .

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I understand that Labour effecively stood aside to let the Libs have a clear run.
    I think these sort of informal arrangements may be the only way to unseat this awful Tory Government.
    The words ‘clutching at straws’ comes to mind.
    In a sign of greater cooperation between the Liberal Democrats and Labour, the Lib Dem leader, Ed Davey, gave a broad hint that his voters should back Labour in next month’s Batley byelection. “Political parties campaign where they can win,” he told the Observer.

“We thought we could win in Chesham and Amersham. Labour didn’t campaign very much. In Batley and Spen, we will have a presence – we’ve got councillors there. But we’re not going to be able to, frankly, pour in the resources that we put into Chesham and Amersham.

“Voters are far smarter than people give them credit for. Liberal Democrat voters may well notice that this is a Labour-held seat with the Tories in a close second, and they’ll draw their own conclusions. But that shouldn’t be stitched up in a back room by party leaders.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ack-on-johnson

This is the sort of informal pact that has been seen for decades - especially in by-elections. Labour stood but barely campaigned in Chesham and Amersham. The LibDems making clear they will stand but barely campaign in Batley and Spen. It may even be enough to prevent the Tories winning the seat.... or maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    In a sign of greater cooperation between the Liberal Democrats and Labour, the Lib Dem leader, Ed Davey, gave a broad hint that his voters should back Labour in next month’s Batley byelection. “Political parties campaign where they can win,” he told the Observer.

“We thought we could win in Chesham and Amersham. Labour didn’t campaign very much. In Batley and Spen, we will have a presence – we’ve got councillors there. But we’re not going to be able to, frankly, pour in the resources that we put into Chesham and Amersham.

“Voters are far smarter than people give them credit for. Liberal Democrat voters may well notice that this is a Labour-held seat with the Tories in a close second, and they’ll draw their own conclusions. But that shouldn’t be stitched up in a back room by party leaders.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ack-on-johnson

This is the sort of informal pact that has been seen for decades - especially in by-elections. Labour stood but barely campaigned in Chesham and Amersham. The LibDems making clear they will stand but barely campaign in Batley and Spen. It may even be enough to prevent the Tories winning the seat.... or maybe not.
    Isn't Galloway standing?