+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Team to play Italy?

Team to play Italy?

stick with the starting eleven in an attempt to get the best result or risk changes to give some players a rest.

Re: Team to play Italy?

If we lose heavily Sunday and finish third, there are still plenty of teams who could finish on 4 points and knock us out, so I'm not sure it's going to be a game to rotate so much.

I would be more concerned with yellow cards and risk of suspensions.

I think yellows only get wiped off after the quarter finals, and two yellows is an automatic one game suspension.

The problem with protecting Kieffer (on a yellow) is that there is no one else in the squad to play No 9. If he is 'rested' then Page will have to go back to the other formation - with a false 9 and wing backs.

I also wonder how much the score in the other match will affect decisions on substitutions and whether to risk players later in the game. If Turkey are well ahead at half time and second place looks secure, Page may become very risk averse.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I would be more concerned with YELLOW CARDS and risk of suspensions.

I think yellows only get wiped off after the quarter finals, and two yellows is an automatic one game suspension.

The problem with protecting Kieffer (on a yellow) is that there is no one else in the squad to play No 9. If he is 'rested' then Page will have to go back to the other formation - with a false 9 and wing backs.

I also wonder how much the score in the other match will affect decisions on substitutions and whether to risk players later in the game. If Turkey are well ahead at half time and second place looks secure, Page may become very risk averse.

49.04 Exceptionally, all yellow cards and pending yellow-card suspensions expire on completion of the play-offs. They are not carried forward to the group stage. In addition, all yellow cards expire on completion of the quarter-finals. They are not carried forward to the semi-finals.19 Apr 2018
    https://www.uefa.com › news
    Are yellow cards wiped out ahead of semi-finals? | UEFA Champions ...

We could do with Portugal besting Germany tomorrow. If that were to happen and Belgium beat Finland we are through to the next stage.
    We need to play our best team to avoid a tonking. A 1-0 defeat would be ok.

Can’t see him changing anything unless someone has picked up an injury. Need to make sure that we concede less than 3.

Defeatist talk here, why not beat Italy and top the group. Italy always have a bad game in them.

Lots of things to consider on basis of not wanting to lose momentum, that we're Group A so we don't fully know what's happening in other groups yet and that 3 games in just over a week/the threat of suspension to key players meaning we'll probably want to rest a few as much as possible.

Italy's midfield has been dominant so far which has allowed control of the ball and creation of many chances but 6pm local time in Rome in June is going to be another hot one.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    49.04 Exceptionally, all yellow cards and pending yellow-card suspensions expire on completion of the play-offs. They are not carried forward to the group stage. In addition, all yellow cards expire on completion of the quarter-finals. They are not carried forward to the semi-finals.19 Apr 2018
    https://www.uefa.com › news
    Are yellow cards wiped out ahead of semi-finals? | UEFA Champions ...
    It's a ridiculous system. A player who receives a yellow card in the first group game and the quarter-finals (two yellow cards in five games) is banned for the semi-finals, but a player who receives a yellow card in the quarter-finals and the semi-finals (two yellow cards in two games) can play in the final.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    It's a ridiculous system. A player who receives a yellow card in the first group game and the quarter-finals (two yellow cards in five games) is banned for the semi-finals, but a player who receives a yellow card in the quarter-finals and the semi-finals (two yellow cards in two games) can play in the final.
    Are you sure? I thought both yellows would be wiped after the quarters?

I read it as, "cards do NOT carry on after the group stages" So your scenario can't happen, but am I reading it right

Plus, I'm not a lover of changing winning teams, but I wouldn't play anyone on a yellow

That's not what the rules say for 2020.

I read it as, "cards do NOT carry on after the group stages" So your scenario can't happen, but am I reading it right

Plus, I'm not a lover of changing winning teams, but I wouldn't play anyone on a yellow
    I don't think you are reading it right. Playoffs and groups are different stages.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I don't think you are reading it right. Playoffs and groups are different stages.
    So you're saying cards carry over after all group games finish ?

From this site https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...rules-24263836

"UEFA also clarify that picking up four bookings in four separate games will result in a second suspension for players.

This means a booking in the opening two games followed by a booking in the round of 16 and quarter-finals would see you miss the semi-final."

and also it says this

"
    The rules for the tournament do however state that yellow cards have a reset button also, just like the Premier League. After completion of the quarter-final round, single cautions will be wiped from the record meaning you can't pick up a suspension for the final for a yellow card in the semi-final. "

So you're saying cards carry over after all group games finish ?
    I'm just reading your link. Yes, that's what it says.

Although it doesn't help that Bluetit appears to have copied Champions League information...

Although it doesn't help that Bluetit appears to have copied Champions League information...
    I was thinking that, as it didn't read right

Just pumped in Euro 2020 and that's what came up .

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Are you sure? I thought both yellows would be wiped after the quarters?
    Single yellow cards are wiped after the quarter-finals.

That's not what the rules say for 2020.
    Are you sure?

Are you sure?
    No, as said above the info is for Champions League.