+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Video showing every one of John Charles' 97 goals for Juve

Video showing every one of John Charles' 97 goals for Juve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykvQIsQmpgA

Something to get you into the mood for later

Re: Video showing every one of John Charles' 97 goals for Juve

Thanks for posting that, great stuff. One thing that I've noticed from videos I've seen of him is that he was quick as well and, of course, there are those who say he was a better centre half than centre forward.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks for posting that, great stuff. One thing that I've noticed from videos I've seen of him is that he was quick as well and, of course, there are those who say he was a better centre half than centre forward.
    Yes, he was brilliant in both positions.

171 of his 308 League games at Leeds were as a centre back. And he scored 157 goals!
    42 of his 67 games for Cardiff were at centre back too.

I think in Italy, at Juventus (155 games -108 goals) and Roma (11 games -4 goals ) he just played as a centre forward.

He scored 80+ goals for Hereford too and was still playing up front for Merthyr at over 40 years of age.

What a genius.

I was reading up on John Charles yesterday and about how selfless Giampiero Boniperti had been to accommodate him when he joined Juve. It was a bit bizarre as I did a wiki on Boniperti and discovered he had passed away on Friday.

I remember Charles being at the Wales v Italy game in 2002 and the tears he shed that night. It has to be between him and Bale as our greatest ever player.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Brilliant video and yes, his speed surprised me, too; seemed always to be first to every rebound. Thanks for that.

Superb, enjoyed that.

The one where he got clattered straight after he scored I winced. He got straight up and tried to run it off!
    How times have changed.

Unquestionable legend of the game.

Some nice free kicks in there too.