+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FT: ITALY 1 - 0 WALES. Wales qualify in 2nd place

Re: FT: ITALY 1 - 0 WALES.

Hartson's gibberish is rubbing off on the commentator

That it really. Job done.

Finland or Russia wont be anywhere near that standard.

I thought we did well after Ampadu’s sending off. Lots of blocks and organised. Joe Rodon was immense

Got what we all would have been pre tournament and are now happy with.

Week to look ahead, plan and get some rest

Hopefully bale saving his goals.

We had a better defensive shape down to 10 men with Moore on the pitch than we did before the red card.

Jesus Christ that was 90 minutes of torture - defeat, red card, Switzerland winning, worry about injuries and suspensions and having to listen to Hartson!

Phew! Well done Wales!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I thought we did well after Ampadu’s sending off. Lots of blocks and organised. Joe Rodon was immense
    The sending off of Williams against France was part of the grand plan

I understand why Moore didn't start today, but playing with a false number nine against a team far more comfortable on the ball than us wasn't a great idea in hindsight.

It was about getting the job done today and 2nd place as 4th seeds in the group is a fine achievement.

There are obviously some talking points - we should take heed from some of more sensible voices in the English press about recognising it's a long tournament and being supportive through the slightly more difficult moments - but 2nd place as 4th seeds is the conclusion of any review, imo.

Well done team. And time to remember the famous BBC Wales commentary from a few years ago: "what's wrong with showing a bit of leg? We're in Amsterdam."

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    We had a better defensive shape down to 10 men with Moore on the pitch than we did before the red card.
    Yep, thought Page was crazy for bringing him on but was a lot more comfortable after that.

Great, battling display, certainly can’t be downhearted after that. If we’d been told we’d be down to ten men for nigh on forty minutes when one down and not concede again we’d have bitten their hands off. Don’t care that Italy had made changes there’s not many teams in this tournament who’d have kept them at bay in those circumstances.

Re: ITALY v WALES. ko 5pm

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    It will be a miracle if we don't end up 3rd in this group.
    No miracle. Just some very gutsy defending from Wales (helped by bringing Kieffer on) and the hint of some effort and quality (but not much) from the Turks.

Well done Wales! May be the best finishing position in the group too.

Re: ITALY v WALES. ko 5pm

Tremendous achievement.
    Second place, couldn't have been better.

Now for a well deserved rest and watch the drama unfold safe in the knowledge we are in the last sixteen.

Well done Robert Page and all the squad

Just a quick comment on Switzerland: I think 4 points and negative goal difference in 2020 could easily be 3 points and negative goal difference in 2016. They're definitely not through yet whereas we can relax a little for a few days.

Incredible achievement from everyone involved, I really feared the worse after the Swiss performance but we've dug in and finished 2nd. We have a very favourable RO16 draw

I think we need to avoid Denmark who are a good side. We have a great chance v either Russia or Finland.

We can’t afford to start Morrell again. He was very poor. I would drop Allen into CDM and bring in Brooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Incredible achievement from everyone involved, I really feared the worse after the Swiss performance but we've dug in and finished 2nd. We have a very favourable RO16 draw
    Every international game presents it's own challenges. And I've just spent a very tense 90minutes having heard "Wales are almost definitely through" so you can p off with this favourable draw lark. One game at a time and see where it takes us for me.

Landed to go through and finishing second to boot. Great achievement.

Strange feel to the game, felt closer to a friendly from the off to me (before we got to subbing the keeper and red card aside, although we’ve got history there with friendlies!). Felt we went into that with damage limitation in mind, didn’t seem that interested (or able) to go toe to toe a little more, although there’s no shame there, and a very stubborn defensive performance in the end. Had three decent chances too ourselves.

Amsterdam on a Saturday night, against Russia or Denmark more than likely. Lovely stuff.

The selection of Gunter was odd. They just cant rate Cabango.

Class player

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The selection of Gunter was odd. They just cant rate Cabango.
    I was surprised, maybe the "experienced" factor

Awesome result, only losing 1-0 to Italy at home, their form and considering the red card (poor tackle but yellow for me especially as the ref was happy to keep his cards in his pocket for the italians).

Also fairly happy considering we managed to avoid too many bookings despite being down to 10 (is Ampadu out for 1 or 3 games in a tournament?).

2nd as 4th seeds is great, even after our last euros how are we 4th seeds? Will this finish at least improve our seed if we qualify for 2024?

I think we need to avoid Denmark who are a good side. We have a great chance v either Russia or Finland.
    agreed

Speaking of Gunter, how gutting is it that his header didn't sneak in? That would have been a fine first ever goal for Wales.

I'll say it one more time: we were the 4th seeds in the group and finished in the top 2. A huge achievement.