+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone watched GB News?

Anyone watched GB News?

Re: Anyone watched GB News?

Apparently there was a cracking Shaun Ryder interview on there last night.

For a channel that nobody claims to watch everyone has an opinion on it

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Isn't it a parody of or tribute to 'Drop the Dead Donkey'?

It's hilarious at the minute but sadly it'll improve

I heard the other day that some of the viewer comments they displayed were by a Mike Oxlong and Cleo Torres.

I'm too busy watching re runs of on the buses

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Apparently there was a cracking Shaun Ryder interview on there last night.

For a channel that nobody claims to watch everyone has an opinion on it
    As I've not got a clue as to how to access it, my opinion is formed by a mixture of what I hear about it and what I would imagine such a channel to be like. What I didn't expect was its apparent Crossroads/Acorn Antiques production values, because I'd assumed there'd be some serious money behind it - as Delmbox says, I'd expect it to improve on that front.

Not aimed at Northern Ireland viewers then.

Not heard of it until now, been on a bit of a news detox in general. Maybe they meant it.

The short time I watched GB News on its opening night the entire set up seemed amateurish. I had expected rather better given the amount of money that has been invested in this venture. I can't imagine the station lasting long unless their production and editorial values improve considerably.

For those who want to give it a try the channel is on 236 (Freeview) and 515 (Sky).

I did wonder if this was a windup to get more exposure

It worked if it did

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I did wonder if this was a windup to get more exposure

It worked if it did
    Well all the advertiser's are now back on board .

Some good presenters in Gloria De Piero,Kirsty Gallacher,Andrew Neil ,Alistair Stewart, Simon McCoy, and Andrew Doyle is a funny lad

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Well all the advertiser's are now back on board .
    are they?

The advertisers may or may not be back on board, but it seems Andrew Neil has cleared off/gone on holiday/arranging world domination as he will not be on GB News for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I really like Stewart Lee but his views on German humour are very ill-informed and much of what he says about it is plain wrong. Most jokes can be directly translated in both directions and be equally funny.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...any.features11

Not watched anything yet, it seems to be a bit like a TV version of Lbc. Pick a controversial topic and chat rubbish about it for an hour. A whole channel based around the world view of people like farage and Morgan is a bit of a nightmare. Although I've always liked Andrew Neil , so would probably watch if he was interviewing anyone decent.

I'm terms of an unfair news agenda, I'm more concerned about nation.cymru, the 'news site ' that the original link is from. Funded by the Welsh government, seemingly as a bit of a propaganda machine for Welsh labour. Not sure how that's even allowed to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Not watched anything yet, it seems to be a bit like a TV version of Lbc. Pick a controversial topic and chat rubbish about it for an hour. A whole channel based around the world view of people like farage and Morgan is a bit of a nightmare. Although I've always liked Andrew Neil , so would probably watch if he was interviewing anyone decent.

I'm terms of an unfair news agenda, I'm more concerned about nation.cymru, the 'news site ' that the original link is from. Funded by the Welsh government, seemingly as a bit of a propaganda machine for Welsh labour. Not sure how that's even allowed to happen.
    it doesn't seem like a propaganda machine to me

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I really like Stewart Lee but his views on German humour are very ill-informed and much of what he says about it is plain wrong. Most jokes can be directly translated in both directions and be equally funny.
    I sometimes read your posts and wonder to myself… “is he just talking to himself?”…

I’m pretty sure I spout some inane drivel on here as well, but by now we all know that you’re a Germanophile, a world traveller who likes things off the beaten track and a supreme linguist.

Having said that I do read a fair bit of what you post, although wanting to understand German humour is stretching it 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    These days, if you say you like German humour they'll throw you in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Far from it. You've obviously not taken a moment to research nation.cymru.

It was set up by Bangor university looking at the view that Wales barely has its own media. Welsh radio stations were being taken over by UK based companies. BBC Wales' own news and current affairs output had been cut. The aim was to provide an English language, Welsh national news service based in Wales, run by people in Wales. There are Welsh language news services in Wales, but not English. Not even the Western Mail can be classed as a Welsh national news service.

I visit Scotland usually twice a year. I love the fact that Scotland has several of its own national newspapers. Most of the British national papers have Scottish varients, such as the Scottish Sun, Scottish Daily Mail etc. BBC Scotland has much more output than BBC Wales. STV (Scottish ITV) broadcasts more local programming than we get from ITV Wales. We get what London sends us.

I quite like nation.cymru and it's certainly not a mouthpiece for Welsh Labour government - if anything it is often critical of this Welsh government. According to their website they are apolitical, bar rejecting far-right politics.

This is their mission statement: We have never had a national English-language news service. The Western Mail and Daily Post are regional news services, while BBC Wales is a regional arm of a British corporation.

The Welsh media has deteriorated even further in the last few years. What remains of Wales’ regional, commercial English-language press is in sad decline.

The print circulation of our English-language papers continues to dwindle, and websites struggle to produce revenue.

As Welsh newspapers are bought by larger companies, editorial decisions are increasingly being made outside of Wales’ borders, with less and less relevance to Wales.

It is no surprise therefore that surveys have consistently shown that the people of Wales do not know what is going on in their country.

Many people do not understand what powers our parliament in Cardiff has or what can be done with them.

Meanwhile, the tectonic plates of the United Kingdom are shifting. Post-Brexit, Wales faces a turbulent economic and political future. Our nation’s very existence could be at stake.

Wales has to decide where its future lies within this new order, and Nation.Cymru can be a platform for that discussion – free from the commercial pressures that drive other newspapers and websites.

We want to include everyone in that discussion. We want to include YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Far from it. You've obviously not taken a moment to research nation.cymru.

It was set up by Bangor university looking at the view that Wales barely has its own media. Welsh radio stations were being taken over by UK based companies. BBC Wales' own news and current affairs output had been cut. The aim was to provide an English language, Welsh national news service based in Wales, run by people in Wales. There are Welsh language news services in Wales, but not English. Not even the Western Mail can be classed as a Welsh national news service.

I visit Scotland usually twice a year. I love the fact that Scotland has several of its own national newspapers. Most of the British national papers have Scottish varients, such as the Scottish Sun, Scottish Daily Mail etc. BBC Scotland has much more output than BBC Wales. STV (Scottish ITV) broadcasts more local programming than we get from ITV Wales. We get what London sends us.

I quite like nation.cymru and it's certainly not a mouthpiece for Welsh Labour government - if anything it is often critical of this Welsh government. According to their website they are apolitical, bar rejecting far-right politics.

This is their mission statement: We have never had a national English-language news service. The Western Mail and Daily Post are regional news services, while BBC Wales is a regional arm of a British corporation.

The Welsh media has deteriorated even further in the last few years. What remains of Wales’ regional, commercial English-language press is in sad decline.

The print circulation of our English-language papers continues to dwindle, and websites struggle to produce revenue.

As Welsh newspapers are bought by larger companies, editorial decisions are increasingly being made outside of Wales’ borders, with less and less relevance to Wales.

It is no surprise therefore that surveys have consistently shown that the people of Wales do not know what is going on in their country.

Many people do not understand what powers our parliament in Cardiff has or what can be done with them.

Meanwhile, the tectonic plates of the United Kingdom are shifting. Post-Brexit, Wales faces a turbulent economic and political future. Our nation’s very existence could be at stake.

Wales has to decide where its future lies within this new order, and Nation.Cymru can be a platform for that discussion – free from the commercial pressures that drive other newspapers and websites.

We want to include everyone in that discussion. We want to include YOU.
    Thanks Eric, I was wondering whether I’d got completely the wrong end of the stick about Nation Cymru for a while.

Why would anyone watch "news" that you know is going to biased before even switching on?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Why would anyone watch "news" that you know is going to biased before even switching on?
    Everyone who watches CNN or Fox