+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The John Hartson School Of Commentary

Re: The John Hartson School Of Commentary

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Earnie was fine.

Hughes (even when a miserable git) and Taylor are OK. Savage and Ashley Williams are very good. Bellers was always good. Coleman is good.

Unfortunately Hartson is usually poor. Ledley and Robson-Kanu are uncomfortable and wooden - and add almost nothing as pundits. So ITV had three duds out of four, made worse by Mark Pougatch who must be the dullest of BBC/ITV/Sky main presenters.

Still, who cares. Wales second in group and all is well with the world!
    ITV don't particularly care about football any more. Since they lost live Champions' League rights, they no longer have a team of good commentators to rely on.

Back in the day, a trio of Tyldesley, Drury and Champion was very good indeed, certainly compared to Matterface, Speight and Hutchinson. When they lost the Champions' League coverage, only Tyldesley was kept on as a contracted commentator. He lost his position last year and ITV now no longer have any contracted football presenters (as far as I am aware). Pougatch is freelance. Matterface (as their main commentator) is freelance. My understanding, from what I've read elsewhere, is that they're the main presenter and commentator for ITV as they were happy to do it for the price. ITV have a bit of a history of poaching presenters and commentators from elsewhere (usually the Beeb) and paying them handsomely. That is no longer the case.

It's sad as ITV's football coverage for many years has generally been very good, if not excellent. Names like Hugh Johns, Brian Moore, Alan Parry etc. Most of ITV's other sporting output borrows from other freelance commentators.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Years ago, when Jazz Richards was just starting at Swansea I heard him being interviewed on Radio Wales. He was one of the most articulate footballers that I have ever heard.
    Comes from years of constant talking to physios and medical staff.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Do you really need someone to tell you how the games going? Most of them spout nonsense anyway. Some geezer from a boozer with no legs would do for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    He said early on that if Wales didn’t concede then Switzerland would have to win by 5 to overtake us. He isn’t the brightest is he.
    I noticed this. It’s like the other commentator didn’t want to correct him..

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    I thought Ernie was very good.
    HRK speaks well too…..

Weird accent.

Hartson was just about as bad as it gets

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Earnie was fine.

Hughes (even when a miserable git) and Taylor are OK. Savage and Ashley Williams are very good. Bellers was always good. Coleman is good.

Unfortunately Hartson is usually poor. Ledley and Robson-Kanu are uncomfortable and wooden - and add almost nothing as pundits. So ITV had three duds out of four, made worse by Mark Pougatch who must be the dullest of BBC/ITV/Sky main presenters.

Still, who cares. Wales second in group and all is well with the world!
    I watched the game with my mother, so punditry was in full flow( not from her) Earnie was attempting to make some good points, and he wasn't cosying up to the Welsh team. Was critical of morell for switching off on the goal and explained that bale had got under the ball for that chance. Also made a good point about trying to get on the ball before giving it to the game changers like bale and Ramsey. I thought that he did well.

Punditry is shit on the whole, although I'd add that plenty of football fans do miss certain points from pundits as they just don't understand what they're saying, even when it is informative.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Who should we have
    John Inverdale. He can keep us focused on what England are going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    John Inverdale. He can keep us focused on what England are going to do.
    The biggest plum in the history of sporting media

Gabby Yorath is close mind

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Lets be fair. Hartson’s lucky to still be with us after his cancer scare, so as far as i’m concerned, he can say what he wants.
    There aren’t many decent commentators out there any way. At least you can have a chuckle at some of his ramblings 
    Yeah, I tend to agree with you. He deserves a free pass for what he has been through.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Yeah, I tend to agree with you. He deserves a free pass for what he has been through.
    He deserves to be treated in exactly the same way as any other football commentator, in relation to his performance and ability in that respect. I am sure he would not want it any other way. It is rather patronising to suggest he should be given special treatment because he has been ill in the past. As a footballer he obviously had ability and as a man he has done well to recover from his health setbacks but as a football commentator, in my opinion, he is useless.

Hartson is terrible. There was one point during his commentary where it reminded me of watching football with a slightly p!ssed elderly Uncle pointing out things we've clearly all seen - but sounding like he was sharing some secret everyone else had missed.

It was when Roberts blocked an Italian shot and stumbled backwards from the power. Hartson "look, look at this, Roberts has almost fell down. Here it is look! He's almost fell down. That's the power of the shot that it. See, he almost went"

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Hartson, earnshaws, ledely, robson-kanu I know people say footballers aren't the brightest but don't couldn't have picked many worse.
    I thought Hal spoke quite well, sadly the rest were poor.

Harston was terrible.

I liked the one where (I think it was Ampadu) passed it across field and it went straight out to touch for an Italian throw in.

Hartsons commentary: 'Well thats not a particularly good pass for me'.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    He deserves to be treated in exactly the same way as any other football commentator, in relation to his performance and ability in that respect. I am sure he would not want it any other way. It is rather patronising to suggest he should be given special treatment because he has been ill in the past. As a footballer he obviously had ability and as a man he has done well to recover from his health setbacks but as a football commentator, in my opinion, he is useless.
    Harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Harsh.
    Harsh but fair. Last year my mate was blinded by some white sh!te and regardless of the hardship he's been through - I still think Cardiff Busses were soft letting him carry on driving the Ely route - even if his guide dog is on his lap. Judge on ability not sympathy.

Jobs for the boys it appears. He talks s load of garbage. Didn’t speak any sense all game. Hope he’s ditched in future.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Harsh but fair. Last year my mate was blinded by some white sh!te and regardless of the hardship he's been through - I still think Cardiff Busses were soft letting him carry on driving the Ely route - even if his guide dog is on his lap. Judge on ability not sympathy.
    I hope the dog is on a lead, Don't want any accidents.

I find Earnie's speaking quite irritating.
    It's like he is putting on a posh "phone voice".

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I find Earnie's speaking quite irritating.
    It's like he is putting on a posh "phone voice".
    Could morph into the new Garth Crooks.

Garth Crooks he makes Hartson sound like Motson, he his by far the worst of the worst followed by Chris Sutton

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    Garth Crooks he makes Hartson sound like Motson, he his by far the worst of the worst followed by Chris Sutton
    Garth Crooks could make a commentary on a kids party sound like Panorama. He needs a serious chill pill.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Garth Crooks could make a commentary on a kids party sound like Panorama. He needs a serious chill pill.
    Evertime he finishes his point you can see him catching air , trying to calm down

He's a box of frogs

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Comes from years of constant talking to physios and medical staff.
    It didn't he was very young at the time, when he was just breaking in to the Swansea first team.

Danny Murphy had a few John Hartson moments in the Denmark-Russia game tonight.

As Denmark scored their third (maybe fourth goal - can't remember now) he claimed that would be enough whatever happened in the Belgium-Finland game. Belgium were 1-0 up at the time and a Finland equaliser would have put them 2nd above Denmark.

He was also one of many BBC pundits tonight who bemoaned the fact that Denmark will not play their next game (against Wales!) at home in front of their own fans. Right....