+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wales claim new Euros record

Wales claim new Euros record

Since Euro 1980, when the tournament began in its current group format in one host country (or more), Wales are the only country to have qualified from the group stage in both of its first two Euro campaigns.

Re: Wales claim new Euros record

That is an impressive stat

Considering it's times of covid and we're one of the smaller associations it should also be recognised what it means financially for us to have progressed:

Final tournament: €9.25m
    Group stage win: €1.5m
    Group stage draw: €750,000
    Round of 16: €2m

We're playing for so much more but from purely financial side of things the next game is worth €3.25m.

*all figures according to wiki.

Impressive, but the current format only started in 2016.
    We didnt qualify when 16 teams were in the finals.

[QUOTE=Eric the Half a Bee;5199643]Since Euro 1980, when the tournament began in its current group format in one host country (or more), Wales are the only country to have qualified from the group stage in both of its first two Euro campaigns.[/QUOT

I'm not a great follower of International footy , but you can't be effected by the Welsh lads efforts , they give their all .

Great effort to get out of this group.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Since Euro 1980, when the tournament began in its current group format in one host country (or more), Wales are the only country to have qualified from the group stage in both of its first two Euro campaigns.
    Another match stat for us:

Match stats - Ampadu's record-breaking red card
    Aged 20 years and 279 days, Wales' Ethan Ampadu became the second-youngest player to be sent off in a European Championship match after John Heitinga (20 years 217 days) for the Netherlands against the Czech Republic in 2004, while Ampadu is the outright youngest to be shown a straight red.

Up until today Wales that the highest win ratio of sides playing in Euros finals competitions at 63% with 5 wins from 8 games

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Impressive, but the current format only started in 2016.
    We didnt qualify when 16 teams were in the finals.
    I didn't say we did. Prior to 1980 there was no Euros like this tournament, albeit there were only 8 teams, which was increased to 16 and then 24. It still stands that, if you consider the Euros as a hosted tournament (which it wasn't before 1980), Wales are still the only side to have made the finals and qualified from the group in both of their first two Euro campaigns. Not even the likes of Germany, Italy, France etc managed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I didn't say we did. Prior to 1980 there was no Euros like this tournament, albeit there were only 8 teams, which was increased to 16 and then 24. It still stands that, if you consider the Euros as a hosted tournament (which it wasn't before 1980), Wales are still the only side to have made the finals and qualified from the group in both of their first two Euro campaigns. Not even the likes of Germany, Italy, France etc managed it.
    Point taken, but I just dont think it's a fair comparison.
    As a follow up question, as weve managed it as we're in Group A, are there any teams who can join the list over the next few days?

PS I think Portugal managed it before us (84 & 96) and have got through every time since aswell (7 in total), unless I've misread it 🙂