+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FT: RUSSIA 1 - 4 DENMARK.

FT: RUSSIA 1 - 4 DENMARK.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• The sides have met just once since the dissolution of the Soviet Union, with Russia winning 2-0 in a friendly at the Parken Stadium in Copenhagen in February 2012. Roman Shirokov and Andrei Arshavin scored the goals for the visitors.

Russia

• Russia are vying to win back-to-back games at the European Championship for the first time since they won three in a row at Euro 2008.
    • They have lost their final group stage match in three of their last four appearances at a major tournament, last winning against Sweden at Euro 2008.
    • The Russians ended a run of nine European Championship matches without a clean sheet by beating Finland 1-0 in their last game.
    • Artem Dzyuba has been involved in 22 goals in his last 21 appearances for Russia, with 14 goals and eight assists.
    • Dzyuba has 29 international goals and is one shy of equalling Aleksandr Kerzhakov as Russia's all-time top scorer (this excludes the Soviet Union, for whom Oleg Blokhin netted 42 times).

Denmark

• Denmark have lost both group matches so far and could lose all three for the third time at a European Championship, having previously done so in 1988 and 2000.
    • They had lost just one of their previous 12 games (W9, D2) before suffering back-to-back defeats.
    • The Danes have missed three of their last four penalties in major tournaments.
    • Martin Braithwaite had seven shots against Belgium without scoring, only hitting the target once.

Re: RUSSIA v DENMARK. ko 8pm

Russia win best for Wales ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    unless finland can get something

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I would prefer to see us play Finland but it would be a long shot.

I'd take Russia all day long.

Don’t think Belgium would fancy playing us.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Don’t think Belgium would fancy playing us.
    Nor Russia

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Nor Russia
    Very true

Russians look pretty good - creating lots woth no end product

Goal Denmark

… and now they pay for those misses

In order of preference Finland, Russia, Denmark.
    I think we could beat the first two but the Danes would be very tough.

There’s very little between them.

Enjoying the Denmark Russia game and the Russians can consider themselves a little unlucky to be behind.

So how does this work then? It's currently 0-0 in the Finland game and 1-0 to Russia. So if Belgium score, you have three teams on 3 points and they cannot use the head-to-head results as they've obvously beaten one another. So then what - go to GD? If Belgium and Denmark each win 1-0, Denmark and Finland each have -1 GD. So then what - back to the head to head between those two, meaning Finland finish second? But if Belgium score 2 then Denmark finish 2nd on GD? ANd if Belgium score 3, then Finland and Russia have the same GD and so Finland finish bottom (because they lose to Russia on head for head) and Russia have a chance to qualify?

I think Denmark will move in to second place if they score again and Finland concede.

Denmark have to win though. A goal for Russia to earn a draw would send the Danes home (you know what I mean)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I think Denmark will move in to second place if they score again and Finland concede.

Denmark have to win though. A goal for Russia to earn a draw would send the Danes home (you know what I mean)
    I thought it went on head to head before GD

Aren't Denmark playing for one of the best third places?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I thought it went on head to head before GD

Aren't Denmark playing for one of the best third places?
    Yeah but if you have 3 teams on three points: team 1 beat team 2; team 2 beat team 3; and team 3 beat team 1. So if that happens (which it will when Finland concede)- head to head doesn't help you. So I think you then revert to GD. But if that is level as between say team 1 and 2 (with team 3 on worse gd) then I think you have to look again at the head to head between team 1 and 2 to determine 2nd Vs 3rd.

So if Finland lose and Denmark overturn the goal difference- I think Denmark finish second. Doing this from logic tho and not having done any actual research.

And if Finland win- we play Belgium presumably

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Yeah but if you have 3 teams on three points: team 1 beat team 2; team 2 beat team 3; and team 3 beat team 1. So if that happens (which it will when Finland concede)- head to head doesn't help you. So I think you then revert to GD. But if that is level as between say team 1 and 2 (with team 3 on worse gd) then I think you have to look again at the head to head between team 1 and 2 to determine 2nd Vs 3rd.

So if Finland lose and Denmark overturn the goal difference- I think Denmark finish second. Doing this from logic tho and not having done any actual research
    Yes, I think you are right, although my head hurts!

What was that? ! Chances of us facing Russia are dwindling
    So we just need there to be no goals in the Belgium game now

Denmark two up

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    What was that? ! Chances of us facing Russia are dwindling
    So we just need there to be no goals in the Belgium game now
    Exactly. Another long night

2-1 Denmark Russia