+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No new roads

International

No new roads

The Welsh Government has now stopped all new road building.
    The seem determined to turn Wales into a country park or something. We'll all be riding round on Bullock carts soon, and all the irritating English tourists will be taxed out of the country so there will be no revenue from them either. Then Drakeford will be happy.
    Both the main routes for business and to attract investment in the North and South, both cancelled.

It's insane

Re: No new roads

Have a gander at the cycle lanes in Cardiff City centre though, thousands using them , NOT

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Have a gander at the cycle lanes in Cardiff City centre though, thousands using them , NOT
    Get yourself a bike then and join the revolution 😉

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Get yourself a bike then and join the revolution ��
    I’m a bus man, since I got my pensioners pass

Waiting for a bus on Sunday afternoon, not one cyclist was using the cycle lanes. Not one bike to be seen

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The seem determined to turn Wales into a country park or something. We'll all be riding round on Bullock carts soon, and all the irritating English tourists will be taxed out of the country so there will be no revenue from them either. Then Drakeford will be happy.
    Both the main routes for business and to attract investment in the North and South, both cancelled.

It's insane
    Fields and nature reserves before roads

It's insane
    Makes sense, spend the money on maintaining the current network and public transport instead.

There have also been studies that show that increasing transport links from a poorer area to a more prosperous area just results in more money flowing into the wealthier area. From the industrial revolution onward our transport infrastructure has been designed to extract wealth from the country and whisk it away as quickly as possible. It closely resembles other countries that have been exploited for wealth. Any improvements should be aimed at stimulating the local economy, not helping to boost the English one. I think that public transport probably dos that more effectively than new roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Makes sense, spend the money on maintaining the current network and public transport instead.

There have also been studies that show that increasing transport links from a poorer area to a more prosperous area just results in more money flowing into the wealthier area. From the industrial revolution onward our transport infrastructure has been designed to extract wealth from the country and whisk it away as quickly as possible. It closely resembles other countries that have been exploited for wealth. Any improvements should be aimed at stimulating the local economy, not helping to boost the English one. I think that public transport probably dos that more effectively than new roads.
    Cardiff clearly needs a major rail overhaul , dreadful links from the east of the city into city centre

It could do with a ring road instead of half a one which we have at present

Yesterday, my daughter-in-law was driving back from Bristol, a journey she does 3/4 times a week. It took her 90 minutes to get from the bridge [where the queues had begun], all the way into Cardiff, to pick up the little fella from our house.

This, on the very day [ 21/6/202] the Welsh Assembly has removed the M4 relief Road from the planning register, thus making it almost impossible for the UK Govt. to impose the project upon them for years to come.

Nine ways climate change is going to drastically alter life in Wales: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...going-20832025
    Something to think about, though a lot easier to support if the public transport links are working as they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Yesterday, my daughter-in-law was driving back from Bristol, a journey she does 3/4 times a week. It took her 90 minutes to get from the bridge [where the queues had begun], all the way into Cardiff, to pick up the little fella from our house.

This, on the very day [ 21/6/202] the Welsh Assembly has removed the M4 relief Road from the planning register, thus making it almost impossible for the UK Govt. to impose the project upon them for years to come.
    Teetotal, pub hating, cycle loving Duckford got 5 more years as well (he won’t resign, as he said he would)

What is your opinion about the traffic issue in Bristol ?

Because rush hour there is absolutely dreadful

South East Wales has similar problems

Until we get people out of their cars very little is going to change

You don't seriously think Boris and his mob were going to sort out the M4 relief road do you ?

It was pre assembly election bullshit

Teetotal, pub hating, cycle loving Duckford got 5 more years as well (he won’t resign, as he said he would)
    you daft old tory sod , you sound very bitter

I am glad he won but he can move on ASAP as far as I am concerned

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

You don't seriously think Boris and his mob were going to sort out the M4 relief road do you ?

have you ever tried to drive through Bath as well, total nightmare.

talking of cars Birmingham has just adopted a clean air zone around the city basically meaning if your car doesn't meet the euro 6 emission standard you will have to pay a charge for non compliant cars

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/e...-need-to-know/

think this will be hitting the likes of Cardiff and Bristol in the not so distant future

it will work effectively in Brum as it got good rail and bus transport links in and around the city although heavily congested but I don't think Cardiff or Bristol have the same infrastructure if they plan on taking us off the roads and onto public transport

just look at East Cardiff not 1 rail station in operation yet !

you daft old tory sod , you sound very bitter

I am glad he won but he can move on ASAP as far as I am concerned

Daft, yes, old yes, bitter not really, the man is a dinosaur and should be put out to pasture

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    talking of cars Birmingham has just adopted a clean air zone around the city basically meaning if your car doesn't meet the euro 6 emission standard you will have to pay a charge for non compliant cars

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/e...-need-to-know/

think this will be hitting the likes of Cardiff and Bristol in the not so distant future

it will work effectively in Brum as it got good rail and bus transport links in and around the city although heavily congested but I don't think Cardiff or Bristol have the same infrastructure if they plan on taking us off the roads and onto public transport

just look at East Cardiff not 1 rail station in operation yet !
    That's been Cardiff's problem all along. They should have started the metro years ago and introduced the stations on the eastern side. Now they're left with the equivalent of tapping their head and rubbing their tummy trying to catch up

For years I'd struggle getting across Bristol to meetings - it just doesn't have the road network that Cardiff had, but in recent years I noticed Cardiff's traffic was getting worse and worse, and I'd say from what infrequent visits to Brizzle I nowadays make, Cardiff's traffic congestion is now much worse.

For years I'd struggle getting across Bristol to meetings - it just doesn't have the road network that Cardiff had, but in recent years I noticed Cardiff's traffic was getting worse and worse, and I'd say from what infrequent visits to Brizzle I nowadays make, Cardiff's traffic congestion is now much worse.

I wonder if it got anything to do with the main road through the City and serving the south, has been shut down

It's insane
    You can only wonder how many million have been blown on doing virtually nothing on north rd through Whitchurch…..got an extra bus lane for all the no people getting on buses have we? Meanwhile old schools in cardiff are falling down

Unfortunately, the current road network is shit.

International

so are you suggesting that the poorer areas should be cut off from all the other areas so the stay at the same level of poverty?

so are you suggesting that the poorer areas should be cut off from all the other areas so the stay at the same level of poverty?
    No, that's not what I'm saying. I remember reading an article (I think posted on here) years ago which showed that if you have a prosperous area and a not so prosperous area - building a bigger road between the two actually mostly benefts the prosperous area.

The example given was north Wales, where new roads had just hastened the flow of wealth to places like Liverpool and Chester.

England's road network is incredibly London Centric, and as a result London businesses soak up a lot of additional trade
    Improving infrastructure without directing everything towards the existing bigger centres would actually help some areas more. A bit like the city region stuff I guess.

Daft, yes, old yes, bitter not really, the man is a dinosaur and should be put out to pasture
    Do you think he's the one making all of the decisions?

the man is a dinosaur and should be put out to pasture
    se.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Do you think he's the one making all of the decisions?
    Yes !!!!

Behind the scenes, the man is a tyrant. His troops fear him.

He’s not a nice man to get the wrong side of