+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No new roads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    International

No new roads

The Welsh Government has now stopped all new road building.
    The seem determined to turn Wales into a country park or something. We'll all be riding round on Bullock carts soon, and all the irritating English tourists will be taxed out of the country so there will be no revenue from them either. Then Drakeford will be happy.
    Both the main routes for business and to attract investment in the North and South, both cancelled.

It's insane

Re: No new roads

Have a gander at the cycle lanes in Cardiff City centre though, thousands using them , NOT

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Have a gander at the cycle lanes in Cardiff City centre though, thousands using them , NOT
    ..so the cars are all forced onto other roads which would therefore be more congested, driving slower, emitting CO2 for longer as they stand idle. The good news is in a few years time your car probably won't be able to fill up with diesel or the new E10 petrol, so you can use the cycle lane to keep warm in winter because the £10k you've just had to spiff out on an air source heat pump [because your gas boiler is now illegal] barely warms your house because you couldn't afford 20ft wide radiators or underfloor heating.

Happy days !!

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    ..so the cars are all forced onto other roads which would therefore be more congested, driving slower, emitting CO2 for longer as they stand idle. The good news is in a few years time your car probably won't be able to fill up with diesel or the new E10 petrol, so you can use the cycle lane to keep warm in winter because the £10k you've just had to spiff out on an air source heat pump [because your gas boiler is now illegal] barely warms your house because you couldn't afford 20ft wide radiators or underfloor heating.

Happy days !!
    READ THE THREAD !!!!!

I use all buses now as they are free for old gits like me .

Happy days !!

FACTCHECK

Gas boilers are not illegal. Gas boilers will be banned from new homes from 2025 but there is no plan to make them illegal altogether.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post

FACTCHECK

Gas boilers are not illegal. Gas boilers will be banned from new homes from 2025 but there is no plan to make them illegal altogether.
    You are quite right but the gas boiler in your house will be useless when there is no gas to fire it and the change to hydrogen hasn't happened because the welsh government won't do anything westminster does.

P.S. Why the monster letters, why shouting?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    You are quite right but the gas boiler in your house will be useless when there is no gas to fire it and the change to hydrogen hasn't happened because the welsh government won't do anything westminster does.

P.S. Why the monster letters, why shouting?
    It's a modern managerial technique apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Get yourself a bike then and join the revolution 😉

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Get yourself a bike then and join the revolution ��
    I’m a bus man, since I got my pensioners pass

Waiting for a bus on Sunday afternoon, not one cyclist was using the cycle lanes. Not one bike to be seen

The seem determined to turn Wales into a country park or something. We'll all be riding round on Bullock carts soon, and all the irritating English tourists will be taxed out of the country so there will be no revenue from them either. Then Drakeford will be happy.
    Both the main routes for business and to attract investment in the North and South, both cancelled.

It's insane
    Fields and nature reserves before roads

It's insane
    Makes sense, spend the money on maintaining the current network and public transport instead.

There have also been studies that show that increasing transport links from a poorer area to a more prosperous area just results in more money flowing into the wealthier area. From the industrial revolution onward our transport infrastructure has been designed to extract wealth from the country and whisk it away as quickly as possible. It closely resembles other countries that have been exploited for wealth. Any improvements should be aimed at stimulating the local economy, not helping to boost the English one. I think that public transport probably dos that more effectively than new roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Makes sense, spend the money on maintaining the current network and public transport instead.
    Unfortunately, the current road network is shit.

WHATS THE POINT WE CANT MANTAIN THE ONES WE GOT, BESIDE WHAT THEY SAVE WILL MORE THAN PAY FOR THE 40 EXTRA BODS IN GOVERNMENT...

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Unfortunately, the current road network is shit.
    Been in Cornwall for nearly three weeks on holiday. I so miss the Cardiff speeds bumps. Found one speed bump in Truro and have to keep going over it time and again to make me feel more at home.

Never mind, next week back home and looking forward to the 14 bumps/ cushions between the house and the local retail park 1 mile or so away.

International

There have also been studies that show that increasing transport links from a poorer area to a more prosperous area just results in more money flowing into the wealthier area. From the industrial revolution onward our transport infrastructure has been designed to extract wealth from the country and whisk it away as quickly as possible. It closely resembles other countries that have been exploited for wealth. Any improvements should be aimed at stimulating the local economy, not helping to boost the English one. I think that public transport probably dos that more effectively than new roads.
    so are you suggesting that the poorer areas should be cut off from all the other areas so the stay at the same level of poverty?

so are you suggesting that the poorer areas should be cut off from all the other areas so the stay at the same level of poverty?
    No, that's not what I'm saying. I remember reading an article (I think posted on here) years ago which showed that if you have a prosperous area and a not so prosperous area - building a bigger road between the two actually mostly benefts the prosperous area.

The example given was north Wales, where new roads had just hastened the flow of wealth to places like Liverpool and Chester.

England's road network is incredibly London Centric, and as a result London businesses soak up a lot of additional trade
    Improving infrastructure without directing everything towards the existing bigger centres would actually help some areas more. A bit like the city region stuff I guess.

No, that's not what I'm saying. I remember reading an article (I think posted on here) years ago which showed that if you have a prosperous area and a not so prosperous area - building a bigger road between the two actually mostly benefts the prosperous area.

The example given was north Wales, where new roads had just hastened the flow of wealth to places like Liverpool and Chester.

England's road network is incredibly London Centric, and as a result London businesses soak up a lot of additional trade
    Improving infrastructure without directing everything towards the existing bigger centres would actually help some areas more. A bit like the city region stuff I guess.
    But Wales only gets offered a city region if it can be connected to Bristol whereas infrastructure investment into Wales - whether that's trains or green energy - doesn't get backing.

It makes sense really. Improvement of the HotV has seen people from the poorer towns of Tredegar and Brynmawr head to Merthyr and beyond to do their shopping. Brynmawr doesn't have a Next, or Curry's or Pandora. Merthyr does.

I'm pretty sure I did a study like this in university and I remember the outcome being that both improved but the bigger cities more quickly and economically. However not building the road would mean the opposite.

The valleys are basically 1 road in 1 road out communities and as such are strangling themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I'm pretty sure I did a study like this in university and I remember the outcome being that both improved but the bigger cities more quickly and economically. However not building the road would mean the opposite.

The valleys are basically 1 road in 1 road out communities and as such are strangling themselves.
    Speaking of economics, its been proved cycle routes improve trade in shopping areas but there's a lot of people in this country who don't like listening to experts, so that would fall on deaf ears. They just think the council are trying to kill the city centre.

International

I agree with your basic point, but you have to have some kind of quality road system to encourage enterprise to set up in these regions. Imagine company wanting to set up in south wales, they may look for a good area but do you think they would seriously look much further than the end on the M4. north Wales doesn't even have that and if this proposal takes root the road to address that problem will not be built for many years to come. That cannot be good.
    The Road system is deliberately London centric, it is the hub of all road numbering in the whole of mainland Britain. But it has been so since long before motorways and dual carriageways and much as we'd like we will never change it

Cardiff clearly needs a major rail overhaul , dreadful links from the east of the city into city centre

It could do with a ring road instead of half a one which we have at present

Yesterday, my daughter-in-law was driving back from Bristol, a journey she does 3/4 times a week. It took her 90 minutes to get from the bridge [where the queues had begun], all the way into Cardiff, to pick up the little fella from our house.

This, on the very day [ 21/6/202] the Welsh Assembly has removed the M4 relief Road from the planning register, thus making it almost impossible for the UK Govt. to impose the project upon them for years to come.

Yesterday, my daughter-in-law was driving back from Bristol, a journey she does 3/4 times a week. It took her 90 minutes to get from the bridge [where the queues had begun], all the way into Cardiff, to pick up the little fella from our house.

This, on the very day [ 21/6/202] the Welsh Assembly has removed the M4 relief Road from the planning register, thus making it almost impossible for the UK Govt. to impose the project upon them for years to come.
    Teetotal, pub hating, cycle loving Duckford got 5 more years as well (he won’t resign, as he said he would)

Nine ways climate change is going to drastically alter life in Wales: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...going-20832025
    Something to think about, though a lot easier to support if the public transport links are working as they should be.