+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No new roads

Re: No new roads

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    No, that's not what I'm saying. I remember reading an article (I think posted on here) years ago which showed that if you have a prosperous area and a not so prosperous area - building a bigger road between the two actually mostly benefts the prosperous area.

The example given was north Wales, where new roads had just hastened the flow of wealth to places like Liverpool and Chester.

England's road network is incredibly London Centric, and as a result London businesses soak up a lot of additional trade
    Improving infrastructure without directing everything towards the existing bigger centres would actually help some areas more. A bit like the city region stuff I guess.
    But Wales only gets offered a city region if it can be connected to Bristol whereas infrastructure investment into Wales - whether that's trains or green energy - doesn't get backing.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    What is your opinion about the traffic issue in Bristol ?

Because rush hour there is absolutely dreadful

South East Wales has similar problems

Until we get people out of their cars very little is going to change

You don't seriously think Boris and his mob were going to sort out the M4 relief road do you ?

It was pre assembly election bullshit
    It is absolutely abysmal in Bristol. It takes me a good 45 minutes to get out of the city whenever I am there.

Hopefully, as companies start to treat workers as adults and get them working from home as much as possible, it will have the effect that roads can be less congested for those who prefer life like it was 1976. And no to more roads. More roads are not the solution. Better public transport is.

No, that's not what I'm saying. I remember reading an article (I think posted on here) years ago which showed that if you have a prosperous area and a not so prosperous area - building a bigger road between the two actually mostly benefts the prosperous area.

The example given was north Wales, where new roads had just hastened the flow of wealth to places like Liverpool and Chester.

England's road network is incredibly London Centric, and as a result London businesses soak up a lot of additional trade
    Improving infrastructure without directing everything towards the existing bigger centres would actually help some areas more. A bit like the city region stuff I guess.

It makes sense really. Improvement of the HotV has seen people from the poorer towns of Tredegar and Brynmawr head to Merthyr and beyond to do their shopping. Brynmawr doesn't have a Next, or Curry's or Pandora. Merthyr does.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Do you think he's the one making all of the decisions?
    He absolutely does. Fair play to Drakeford if he is, he must be working 120 hour weeks.

I'm pretty sure I did a study like this in university and I remember the outcome being that both improved but the bigger cities more quickly and economically. However not building the road would mean the opposite.

The valleys are basically 1 road in 1 road out communities and as such are strangling themselves.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Do you think he's the one making all of the decisions?
    Definitely!! total dictator.

International

I agree with your basic point, but you have to have some kind of quality road system to encourage enterprise to set up in these regions. Imagine company wanting to set up in south wales, they may look for a good area but do you think they would seriously look much further than the end on the M4. north Wales doesn't even have that and if this proposal takes root the road to address that problem will not be built for many years to come. That cannot be good.
    The Road system is deliberately London centric, it is the hub of all road numbering in the whole of mainland Britain. But it has been so since long before motorways and dual carriageways and much as we'd like we will never change it

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    talking of cars Birmingham has just adopted a clean air zone around the city basically meaning if your car doesn't meet the euro 6 emission standard you will have to pay a charge for non compliant cars

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/e...-need-to-know/

think this will be hitting the likes of Cardiff and Bristol in the not so distant future

it will work effectively in Brum as it got good rail and bus transport links in and around the city although heavily congested but I don't think Cardiff or Bristol have the same infrastructure if they plan on taking us off the roads and onto public transport

just look at East Cardiff not 1 rail station in operation yet !
    Think Clean Air Zone's will be the future of charging motorists. From the council's perspective they should've followed Nottingham's lead and introduced a Workplace Parking Levy, they paid for their tram system with theirs, increased public transport usage and reduced emissions. With covid being in our lives and the almost certain change to peoples working habits and office usage, a WPL wouldn't work as well anymore I imagine.

Many of the schemes the council are trying to implement are the right idea, just being pushed about by one too many bluetits.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I'm pretty sure I did a study like this in university and I remember the outcome being that both improved but the bigger cities more quickly and economically. However not building the road would mean the opposite.

The valleys are basically 1 road in 1 road out communities and as such are strangling themselves.
    Speaking of economics, its been proved cycle routes improve trade in shopping areas but there's a lot of people in this country who don't like listening to experts, so that would fall on deaf ears. They just think the council are trying to kill the city centre.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Have a gander at the cycle lanes in Cardiff City centre though, thousands using them , NOT
    ..so the cars are all forced onto other roads which would therefore be more congested, driving slower, emitting CO2 for longer as they stand idle. The good news is in a few years time your car probably won't be able to fill up with diesel or the new E10 petrol, so you can use the cycle lane to keep warm in winter because the £10k you've just had to spiff out on an air source heat pump [because your gas boiler is now illegal] barely warms your house because you couldn't afford 20ft wide radiators or underfloor heating.

Happy days !!

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    ..so the cars are all forced onto other roads which would therefore be more congested, driving slower, emitting CO2 for longer as they stand idle. The good news is in a few years time your car probably won't be able to fill up with diesel or the new E10 petrol, so you can use the cycle lane to keep warm in winter because the £10k you've just had to spiff out on an air source heat pump [because your gas boiler is now illegal] barely warms your house because you couldn't afford 20ft wide radiators or underfloor heating.

Happy days !!
    READ THE THREAD !!!!!

I use all buses now as they are free for old gits like me .

WHATS THE POINT WE CANT MANTAIN THE ONES WE GOT, BESIDE WHAT THEY SAVE WILL MORE THAN PAY FOR THE 40 EXTRA BODS IN GOVERNMENT...

This is a farcical decision, and is typical of the Welsh Government. They hate motorists.
    Apart from anything else, the figures clearly state that transport provides 17% of carbon emissions. SO WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER 83%? What are they planning to do about that? After 2030, the law will prevent you buying a petrol or diesel car, so in theory, emissions will reduce, albeit gradually. In the meantime, they could replace all busses with electric (easy to charge them overnight at the terminus) and insist all taxis go electric by 2030.

But apart from all that, let's not beat around the bush here - Wales is already a backwater, and this will just make it worse. The biggest reason for a lack of investment is the state of the M4, and everyone knows it. When the UK Government threatened to build it, the WAG should have jumped at the chance. But no, they're all short-sighted nitwits, and would rather that we all suffer than be seen to take anything from a Tory government. They're pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post

Happy days !!

FACTCHECK

Gas boilers are not illegal. Gas boilers will be banned from new homes from 2025 but there is no plan to make them illegal altogether.

Yes !!!!

Behind the scenes, the man is a tyrant. His troops fear him.

He’s not a nice man to get the wrong side of
    Do nice blokes make good leaders? I don’t mix with him so his demeanour doesn’t affect me but his decisions do and, on the whole, they’re ok, I’m above ground and breathing after a 16 month or so pandemic. Most leaders have to have a ruthless, nasty streak I’d imagine, Johnson certainly has but I reckon he’s more for himself than Mark is. I’m glad we’ve got Mark rather than the buffoon Johnson.

In my experiences dealing with Mark Drakeford he's certainly not come across as a tyrant. May not have been that many times, but I'm pretty sure you're talking absolute bollocks Bluetit

I’m a bus man, since I got my pensioners pass

Waiting for a bus on Sunday afternoon, not one cyclist was using the cycle lanes. Not one bike to be seen
    No
    They are too busy clogging up the roads
    Really irritating when they dawdle along having a nice chat while there's a traffic jam behind them

I’m a bus man, since I got my pensioners pass

Waiting for a bus on Sunday afternoon, not one cyclist was using the cycle lanes. Not one bike to be seen
    Guess there's not too many cars around at that time either.

Anyway, here's another £330k well spent

BBC News - Planned Cardiff £330,000 bus lane trims 40 seconds off travel time
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57571881

International

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Speaking of economics, its been proved cycle routes improve trade in shopping areas but there's a lot of people in this country who don't like listening to experts, so that would fall on deaf ears. They just think the council are trying to kill the city centre.
    Expert = An ex is a has-been and a spurt is a drip under pressure. Experts generally are only interested in trying to demonstrate how clever they are. In actual real time work they are less than useless

International

Quote Originally Posted by FungoFurore View Post
    In my experiences dealing with Mark Drakeford he's certainly not come across as a tyrant. May not have been that many times, but I'm pretty sure you're talking absolute bollocks Bluetit
    I know 3 people who have either worked for or close to him, and they would agree with blue tit 100%. The words used describing him were dictatorial uninterested in opinions stubborn and the like. Needless to say none of them work near him any more.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post

FACTCHECK

Gas boilers are not illegal. Gas boilers will be banned from new homes from 2025 but there is no plan to make them illegal altogether.
    You are quite right but the gas boiler in your house will be useless when there is no gas to fire it and the change to hydrogen hasn't happened because the welsh government won't do anything westminster does.

P.S. Why the monster letters, why shouting?

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Guess there's not too many cars around at that time either.

Anyway, here's another £330k well spent

BBC News - Planned Cardiff £330,000 bus lane trims 40 seconds off travel time
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57571881
    Its introduction only vital when it suits them. It's vital that they improve the public transport system massively before they deny cars access to the city completely, but that doesn't suit their agenda.

Welsh Gov trying to do 100 years worth of work in 10, all the road/train networks put in place were by Westminster and were provided no funding once they had made their money from the industrial industries, that's why Wales has piss weak infrastructure and transport options in every corner of the country. I hope the Metro really works out so Welsh money came be re-invested in Welsh infrastructure because it sure as hell won't come from Westminster, whoever is in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    You are quite right but the gas boiler in your house will be useless when there is no gas to fire it and the change to hydrogen hasn't happened because the welsh government won't do anything westminster does.

P.S. Why the monster letters, why shouting?
    It's a modern managerial technique apparently.

So when does my petrol driven Ford c max become illegal ?

Its only done 50 k , I want another 100 out of it 😫