+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scrap the group games next time

Re: Scrap the group games next time

I've thoroughly enjoyed the group stages thus far

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    These group games are not living up to expectation. Get 32 teams on the board in a straight knockout, with both teams trying to win. Italy made 8 changes against Wales which devalues the competition. Last night , Belgium were already through, and were trying to walk the ball in, and be too clever. For us fans in our armchairs , it makes you want to change channels. As for kicking off at the same time, the authorities must be very naive if they think the teams don’t know what’s going on in the other group game. It’s about time this competition had a new format in future.
    Both teams trying to win?
    Or both playing for pens?
    Also it would be harsh to ask 16 teams to travel to wherever for 1 game.
    Think I'll stick with the current system as it gives you the chance to see some new teams i.e. North Macedonia in a final tournament

well the group games have been largely excellent, especially today's.
    the format has worked brilliantly and I wasn't a fan of it in 2016.
    in group F anyone could have finished in pretty much any position almost until the final whistle.
    hard luck for the Hungarians

15 of the top ranked teams in the last 16.

Using FIFA rankings.

1 Belgium

2 France

4 England

5 Portugal

6 Spain

7 Italy

10 Denmark

12 Germany

13 Switzerland

14 Croatia

16 Netherlands

17 Wales

18 Sweden

21 Poland (Not Qualified)

23 Austria

24 Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post

Using FIFA rankings.

1 Belgium

2 France

4 England

5 Portugal

6 Spain

7 Italy

10 Denmark

12 Germany

13 Switzerland

14 Croatia

16 Netherlands

17 Wales

18 Sweden

23 Austria

24 Ukraine
    Drink it in. We've come a long way to become one of the 16 best in Europe at this current moment.

We're also heading for transition period at some point in near'ish future, where fans will need to be patient, so even more reason to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Drink it in. We've come a long way to become one of the 16 best in Europe at this current moment.

We're also heading for transition period at some point in near'ish future, where fans will need to be patient, so even more reason to enjoy.
    If this transition period means we see little of Ramsey, Bale not hitting form while we bed in more youngsters, I think we're in one to a certain extent.

At the moment this Welsh team can play poorly and grind out results against most of the better sides. It's never been so good, yet I don't think I know any Welsh fans who are taking anything for granted. I think we could make the next couple of Euros, do well in them and we'll still be grateful for being there. We can play these tournaments with no pressure, unlike our rugby counterparts, where the public generally demand they succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

So much harder than the World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post

Using FIFA rankings.

1 Belgium

2 France

4 England

5 Portugal

6 Spain

7 Italy

10 Denmark

12 Germany

13 Switzerland

14 Croatia

16 Netherlands

17 Wales

18 Sweden

23 Austria

24 Ukraine
    Someone has got it right then , last few games have brought some excitement.

The game format is fine. Spreading it out all over the continent is bullshit. England are the only team hosting a home game in the next round. And the only team that has the possibility of hosting another one in further rounds all the way to final. At least two of the quarter-finals will be played in countries that are no longer in the competition. If we manage to beat Denmark we have to go back to ****ing Baku!