+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Would Rob Page make a good Cardiff City manager?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Would Rob Page make a good Cardiff City manager?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes i am giving Page credit for making sure we won our Nations League group with its promotion into the top tier and chance of qualifying for the next World Cup which went with it. Bizarrely, I can only ever remember you being supportive of Neil Harris among City and Wales managers of the recent past, but, if a Wales boss you rated had done the same as Page did in the Nations League, I don't think you'd be as quick to write it off.

Scotland's latest failure to qualify from the group stages of a major competitions Finals gives a good opportunity to put some perspective on what Rob Page (and Chris Coleman who also had his critics among Welsh fans) have achieved in the last two Euros. Jock Stein and Alex Ferguson are among the managers who have been unbale to achieve for Scotland what Page and Coleman have done for Wales.

You can have a go at individual decisions (I'm definitely not a fan of Wales playing with a "false" number nine) as much as you like, but the bigger picture is that Page got us through a tough group in which I'm pretty sure we had to do more travelling than any other side in the competition and I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up playing our games at the highest average temperature of the twenty four sides.

Page might not make a good City manager, but he has been an effective and successful one for Wales.
    Wrong. I was supportive of Coleman and Giggs, especially Giggs. What he has done bringing the youngsters through and qualifying at the first attempt is nothing short of remarkable.

As for the comparison to Jock Stein and Alex Ferguson that doesnt deserve a really I am afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Wrong. I was supportive of Coleman and Giggs, especially Giggs. What he has done bringing the youngsters through and qualifying at the first attempt is nothing short of remarkable.

As for the comparison to Jock Stein and Alex Ferguson that doesnt deserve a really I am afraid.
    So Giggs is praised for getting us to the finals of a competition and Page isn't for taking us a stage further?

The only comparison I'm making between Rob Page and Chris Coleman and Jock Stein and Alex Ferguson is that the first two have done something that the other two couldn't with what were arguably stronger squads than the Welsh ones - apart from my voicing an opinion about the relative strengths of those squads, the rest of what I say if factual surely?

So Giggs is praised for getting us to the finals of a competition and Page isn't for taking us a stage further?

The only comparison I'm making between Rob Page and Chris Coleman and Jock Stein and Alex Ferguson is that the first two have done something that the other two couldn't with what were arguably stronger squads than the Welsh ones - apart from my voicing an opinion about the relative strengths of those squads, the rest of what I say if factual surely?
    LOL

When Page qualifys for his own finals and then gets out of the group he will get more credit from me. Its not that difficult to get out of a stage where up to 75% of the group qualify. Not when you have two genuinely world class players in your starting 11. Giggs qualified out of the qualifying group without Ramsey too. Far better achievement.

LOL

When Page qualifys for his own finals and then gets out of the group he will get more credit from me. Its not that difficult to get out of a stage where up to 75% of the group qualify. Not when you have two genuinely world class players in your starting 11. Giggs qualified out of the qualifying group without Ramsey too. Far better achievement.
    That's as may be, but didn't Wales qualify in the top 50%?

Daft comparison. 30-40 years difference. Different game. Squad strength is debatable, opposition strength is open to debate.

Im sure Sir Alex Ferguson wont lose any sleep over it.

Daft comparison. 30-40 years difference. Different game. Squad strength is debatable, opposition strength is open to debate.

Im sure Sir Alex Ferguson wont lose any sleep over it.
    All this because you won’t have a good word said about Rob Page .

That’s all this boils down to.

All this because you won’t have a good word said about Rob Page .

That’s all this boils down to.
    All what? Youre the one who bumped the thread and named me personally.

Page has done OK, but Giggs would have done better.

All what? Youre the one who bumped the thread and named me personally.

Page has done OK, but Giggs would have done better.
    Page has done OK is as good as it’s going to get isn’t it - best leave it there I reckon