+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would Rob Page make a good Cardiff City manager?

Would Rob Page make a good Cardiff City manager?

Whilst it's fair to say that this is Giggs's Wales team, he has done a great job.

Would you be happy for him to step into the City hotseat, if we changed manager this season?

(I'm not trying to get McCarthy out, just trying to get some Cardiff chat going).

Re: Would Rob Page make a good Cardiff City manager?

It will be interesting to see what happens if Giggs does come back as Page has done his chances of getting a job at club level no harm.

I also can’t imagine he’d be happy reverting back to an assistant role given that this tournament has elevated his profile.

As for city, if we have a poor season and then Giggs does come back in Jan / Feb then Page just may be an option worth considering.

Not sure how most would react though given the success of the Paul Trollope experiment after the last Euros.

Calm down. We’ve had one good performance against the worst team in the tournament.

For all his confidence with the media he’s also been very naive. He reverted back to the false 9 bollox for the Italy game, a system which clearly didn’t work when he tried it in both warm up games. It could have cost us dearly had the Italians had their shooting boots on 1st half.

He certainly didn’t pull up any trees as manager of Port Vale or Northampton.

I think the likelihood of Giggs returning is remote anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Calm down. We’ve had one good performance against the worst team in the tournament.

For all his confidence with the media he’s also been very naive. He reverted back to the false 9 bollox for the Italy game, a system which clearly didn’t work when he tried it in both warm up games. It could have cost us dearly had the Italians had their shooting boots on 1st half.
    Yeah, I hate this 'false 9' bullshit when we have a 'real 9' in the squad.. and also others who can play the 9 role.

'False 9', fecks sake.. who does he think he is, Pep?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    He certainly didn’t pull up any trees as manager of Port Vale or Northampton.

I think the likelihood of Giggs returning is remote anyway.
    Something similar could be said of Chris Coleman. Did an ok job at Fulham but was nothing special at Coventry and was deemed a bit of an uninspiring choice when given the Welsh job. There's clearly a difference between managing at club and at international level.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Yeah, I hate this 'false 9' bullshit when we have a 'real 9' in the squad.. and also others who can play the 9 role.

Why do players playing in the 'false 9' role wear the number 9 shirt?

I've seen more management come from Bale than Page.

It’s a nonsense. Only the very, very best teams in the world can play with a ‘false 9’ and be successful. Teams that have the technical ability to keep and dominate the football. Like a Man City or a Barcelona under Pep. Even Liverpool have been found wanting this season playing a false 9.

By all means a Wales v a side like Italy let’s get everyone behind the ball when we haven’t got it but it showed when Kieffer come on we needed so wine to lead the line, hold the ball up, win free kicks to take the pressure off. We did not have that before he come on and how the **** it was only 1-0 at the break was more luck than judgement.

I get not risking Kiefer from the start but put Tyler Roberts up there, or Bale even. Certainly not Aaron Ramsey. He was meat and drink to the Italian centre half’s when the ball was launched up to him.

It’s a nonsense. Only the very, very best teams in the world can play with a ‘false 9’ and be successful. Teams that have the technical ability to keep and dominate the football. Like a Man City or a Barcelona under Pep. Even Liverpool have been found wanting this season playing a false 9.

By all means a Wales v a side like Italy let’s get everyone behind the ball when we haven’t got it but it showed when Kieffer come on we needed so wine to lead the line, hold the ball up, win free kicks to take the pressure off. We did not have that before he come on and how the **** it was only 1-0 at the break was more luck than judgement.

I get not risking Kiefer from the start but put Tyler Roberts up there, or Bale even. Certainly not Aaron Ramsey. He was meat and drink to the Italian centre half’s when the ball was launched up to him.
    Alternatively, if you're playing with a false 9, don't launch the ball up to the opposition box as there will be nobody there to win it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Alternatively, if you're playing with a false 9, don't launch the ball up to the opposition box as there will be nobody there to win it.
    It seems clear that Giggs wanted to play this way and RP has tried to carry that ethos through.
    Problem was it didn't work and we go back to basics.

I think it has become clear to him that Kieffer has got to start the game against Denmark but this will mean their favoured football style will have to take a back seat.

Hope it works as we will be already using our plan B.

I could manage Wales and look good .
    "pass the ball to Bale or Ramsey" .
    Job done..

Seems like another Mike Flynn type thread. Hey he's Welsh, would he do a good job for us ? Based on his previous record at league level I doubt it.

I can never understand the preoccupation some people have with us as a team promoting Welshness, either on the managerial or playing front.
    Give me quality everytime over where a player or manager hails from.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Whilst it's fair to say that this is Giggs's Wales team, he has done a great job.

Would you be happy for him to step into the City hotseat, if we changed manager this season?

(I'm not trying to get McCarthy out, just trying to get some Cardiff chat going).
    Only if he brings Bale and Ramsey with him.

We’ve had great results under Page in the Nations League, we gave Belgium a scare in March and while were lucky to best the Czech Republic, we still found a way to do it.

Are you saying that qualifying in second place from a group where we had to play two games in sweltering conditions 3,000 miles away and the other against Italy in Rome is just something routine that we should not be impressed by?

I’m far from convinced that Rob Page would be a good City manager, but think he should be given a lot of credit for coming in and doing a good job for Wales under difficult circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Seems like another Mike Flynn type thread...
    The biggest similarity is that we simply don't know whether they would work out here.

Mike Flynn has done relatively well at League 2 at the club he knows better than anyone but no evidence of his work elsewhere.

Rob Page, from what I can remember, didn't do good things as a club boss but hasn't been a club boss since January 2017 which is a very long time ago in the world of football. He has done okay (maybe a bit better than that) in tough circumstances recently but we know international football is very different.

Lack of evidence to make a judgement off.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We’ve had great results under Page in the Nations League, we gave Belgium a scare in March and while were lucky to best the Czech Republic, we still found a way to do it.

Are you saying that qualifying in second place from a group where we had to play two games in sweltering conditions 3,000 miles away and the other against Italy in Rome is just something routine that we should not be impressed by?

I’m far from convinced that Rob Page would be a good City manager, but think he should be given a lot of credit for coming in and doing a good job for Wales under difficult circumstances.
    You’re not seriously giving him the credit for the nations league games?

Since he started putting his own stamp on things Wales have had one victory in 5 against the worst team in the tournament. Only under public pressure has he started with Kieffer Moore this tournament, it was not his intention.

Anyone who thinks playing Chris Gunter a left sided centre half against the Italians needs a good shoeing.

Taking Dan James straight off after we equalised against the Swiss was another diabolical decision.

At least he realised it wasn't working and decided to bring Keiffer on.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Bale probably told him at HT. Bale is running that show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IICt-tGoTtg

Tifo football (think they're part of The Athletic family) talking our tactics against Italy between 33:30-39:30 here.

The comment at 37:30 is relevant for this thread. Though I do think Page is backed up by some really good staff.

Following on from the Flynn suggestion ive been waiting for this one.

No is the answer.

God no.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Why do players playing in the 'false 9' role wear the number 9 shirt?
    They're masquerading as a 9, but its all false!

International

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He said post match that he had had no intention of playing Moore, and when we went down to 10 men he only eventually brought him on because his coaches told him to. He didn't want to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IICt-tGoTtg

Tifo football (think they're part of The Athletic family) talking our tactics against Italy between 33:30-39:30 here.

The comment at 37:30 is relevant for this thread. Though I do think Page is backed up by some really good staff.
    Interesting and mostly intelligent stuff. But I could get past why the bloke who spoke the most sense has his laptop covered in stickers. What's up with that?