+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would Rob Page make a good Cardiff City manager?

Re: Would Rob Page make a good Cardiff City manager?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Interesting and mostly intelligent stuff. But I could get past why the bloke who spoke the most sense has his laptop covered in stickers. What's up with that?
    Actually, that's inaccurate. I could get past it. I just thought it was strange.

[QUOTE='False 9', fecks sake.. who does he think he is, Pep?[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    You’re not seriously giving him the credit for the nations league games?

Since he started putting his own stamp on things Wales have had one victory in 5 against the worst team in the tournament. Only under public pressure has he started with Kieffer Moore this tournament, it was not his intention.

Anyone who thinks playing Chris Gunter a left sided centre half against the Italians needs a good shoeing.

Taking Dan James straight off after we equalised against the Swiss was another diabolical decision.
    Yes i am giving Page credit for making sure we won our Nations League group with its promotion into the top tier and chance of qualifying for the next World Cup which went with it. Bizarrely, I can only ever remember you being supportive of Neil Harris among City and Wales managers of the recent past, but, if a Wales boss you rated had done the same as Page did in the Nations League, I don't think you'd be as quick to write it off.

Scotland's latest failure to qualify from the group stages of a major competitions Finals gives a good opportunity to put some perspective on what Rob Page (and Chris Coleman who also had his critics among Welsh fans) have achieved in the last two Euros. Jock Stein and Alex Ferguson are among the managers who have been unbale to achieve for Scotland what Page and Coleman have done for Wales.

You can have a go at individual decisions (I'm definitely not a fan of Wales playing with a "false" number nine) as much as you like, but the bigger picture is that Page got us through a tough group in which I'm pretty sure we had to do more travelling than any other side in the competition and I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up playing our games at the highest average temperature of the twenty four sides.

Page might not make a good City manager, but he has been an effective and successful one for Wales.

It is an achievement what hes done. But lets be honest. We were fortunate to get a point against Switzerland and very fortunate not to be totally hammered v Italy.

We are so reliant on Bale and Ramsey being on the top of their game.

Im concerned with a manager who picks Chris Gunter , selects a Luton reserve and thinks Rodon/Mepham is a superb partnership.

Saying that ive no idea really how good Page is.

City had stick off some for our 2nd half display v Swansea despite restricting them to 1 short on target and creating the best chance. Whereas Wales get a free pass being dominated by Italy in 3rd gear and even subbing their keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    It is an achievement what hes done. But lets be honest. We were fortunate to get a point against Switzerland and very fortunate not to be totally hammered v Italy.

Im concerned with a manager who picks Chris Gunter , selects a Luton reserve and thinks Rodon/Mepham is a superb partnership.

City had stick off some for our 2nd half display v Swansea despite restricting them to 1 short on target and creating the best chance. Whereas Wales get a free pass being dominated by Italy in 3rd gear and even subbing their keeper.
    Isn't the point that, once the decision to exclude Davies and Mepham had been made, you only had a choice out of Gunter and Cobango - I would have gone with the latter, but Gunter has not got one hundred and two caps for no reason, he's one of those players who seems able to make the jump to international football easier than you would think and I think you can count the number of really poor games he's had for Wales on the fingers of one hand. As for the Luton reserve, once it had been decided Ampadu was going to start in defence and Ramsey in a more advanced position, his selection makes more sense when you consider that the realistic alternatives were someone who played for Doncaster Rovers last season or someone who couldn't get in the Istra 1961 first team.

Finally, is your Italy/Swansea comparison a fair one? Italy, even with all of those changes, were better than virtually anyone else in the tournament , Swansea are a good Championship side with a few limitations - City were booting the ball up the pitch to no one in the second half at the Liberty despite, unlike wales, having eleven players on the pitch for the last thirty five minutes of the match.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

The Swiss had a tough travel itinerary, Baku, Rome then back to Baku, some air miles there. The Turks although later having two ‘home’ games were unfortunate to have the dubious honour of opening the tournament in Rome, seemed to knock the stuffing() out
    of them immediately. Great achievement to qualify though given we were most probably the 4th fancied team in our group.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Isn't the point that, once the decision to exclude Davies and Mepham had been made, you only had a choice out of Gunter and Cobango - I would have gone with the latter, but Gunter has not got one hundred and two caps for no reason, he's one of those players who seems able to make the jump to international football easier than you would think and I think you can count the number of really poor games he's had for Wales on the fingers of one hand. As for the Luton reserve, once it had been decided Ampadu was going to start in defence and Ramsey in a more advanced position, his selection makes more sense when you consider that the realistic alternatives were someone who played for Doncaster Rovers last season or someone who couldn't get in the Istra 1961 first team.

Finally, is your Italy/Swansea comparison a fair one? Italy, even with all of those changes, were better than virtually anyone else in the tournament , Swansea are a good Championship side with a few limitations - City were booting the ball up the pitch to no one in the second half at the Liberty despite, unlike wales, having eleven players on the pitch for the last thirty five minutes of the match.
    Yes the Swansea comparison isnt really fair ability wise. However they were going all out for the equaliser im not convinced Italy broke sweat.

My point is City get stick for that 2nd half performance when really it was a superb defensive effort in a game we should have wrapped up in the 1st.

Not really. He hasn’t achieved very much yet. Got away with it against the Swiss, if Turkey had a decent centre forward, they would have won. Then, got beaten by Italy’s reserve team, who also should have scored more. This Saturday at 7pm Wales will be on the plane back to Rhodes airport and Denmark will be in to the last 8. That’s the difference.Anyone who thinks Wales are favourites for this one, better think again.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Interesting and mostly intelligent stuff. But I could get past why the bloke who spoke the most sense has his laptop covered in stickers. What's up with that?
    Thank you for having a look. I noticed us having a flat four instead of a striker until Moore came on but caught up in the emotion of it too much to see what our defensive strategy behind this might be.

Regarding stickers, maybe trying to access the youth market?

UEFA seeded Denmark 15th before the draw which in theory makes it our easiest game so far with Turkey seeded 14th, but I think FIFA's current rank of Denmark at 10th in the world and 7th in Europe is probably more accurate. It's a tough game on the weekend but hopefully we win and I can watch it back unscathed to see what our strategy is for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Not really. He hasn’t achieved very much yet. Got away with it against the Swiss, if Turkey had a decent centre forward, they would have won. Then, got beaten by Italy’s reserve team, who also should have scored more. This Saturday at 7pm Wales will be on the plane back to Rhodes airport and Denmark will be in to the last 8. That’s the difference.Anyone who thinks Wales are favourites for this one, better think again.
    Italy’s reserve team, bit dismissive, doubt there’s much between a football nation like Italy’s 11 best footballers and the next best 11 footballers. Hardly the ragged arse rovers.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Thank you for having a look. I noticed us having a flat four instead of a striker until Moore came on but caught up in the emotion of it too much to see what our defensive strategy behind this might be.

Regarding stickers, maybe trying to access the youth market?

UEFA seeded Denmark 15th before the draw which in theory makes it our easiest game so far with Turkey seeded 14th, but I think FIFA's current rank of Denmark at 10th in the world and 7th in Europe is probably more accurate. It's a tough game on the weekend but hopefully we win and I can watch it back unscathed to see what our strategy is for this game.
    Thanks for posting it. I'll watch them again.

Wonder what Mr Hartley would make of that remark from "the bloke who spoke the most sense" about Rob Page being "really smart"?

Thought the bloke who described himself as a smart arse was bang on about English refs.

Wonder what Mr Hartley would make of that remark from "the bloke who spoke the most sense" about Rob Page being "really smart"?

Thought the bloke who described himself as a smart arse was bang on about English refs.
    Eh?

Yes i am giving Page credit for making sure we won our Nations League group with its promotion into the top tier and chance of qualifying for the next World Cup which went with it. Bizarrely, I can only ever remember you being supportive of Neil Harris among City and Wales managers of the recent past, but, if a Wales boss you rated had done the same as Page did in the Nations League, I don't think you'd be as quick to write it off.

Scotland's latest failure to qualify from the group stages of a major competitions Finals gives a good opportunity to put some perspective on what Rob Page (and Chris Coleman who also had his critics among Welsh fans) have achieved in the last two Euros. Jock Stein and Alex Ferguson are among the managers who have been unbale to achieve for Scotland what Page and Coleman have done for Wales.

You can have a go at individual decisions (I'm definitely not a fan of Wales playing with a "false" number nine) as much as you like, but the bigger picture is that Page got us through a tough group in which I'm pretty sure we had to do more travelling than any other side in the competition and I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up playing our games at the highest average temperature of the twenty four sides.

Page might not make a good City manager, but he has been an effective and successful one for Wales.
    Wrong. I was supportive of Coleman and Giggs, especially Giggs. What he has done bringing the youngsters through and qualifying at the first attempt is nothing short of remarkable.

As for the comparison to Jock Stein and Alex Ferguson that doesnt deserve a really I am afraid.

Wrong. I was supportive of Coleman and Giggs, especially Giggs. What he has done bringing the youngsters through and qualifying at the first attempt is nothing short of remarkable.

As for the comparison to Jock Stein and Alex Ferguson that doesnt deserve a really I am afraid.
    So Giggs is praised for getting us to the finals of a competition and Page isn't for taking us a stage further?

The only comparison I'm making between Rob Page and Chris Coleman and Jock Stein and Alex Ferguson is that the first two have done something that the other two couldn't with what were arguably stronger squads than the Welsh ones - apart from my voicing an opinion about the relative strengths of those squads, the rest of what I say if factual surely?

Eh?
    I was talking about the video which Surge posted a link to;-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IICt-tGoTtg

So Giggs is praised for getting us to the finals of a competition and Page isn't for taking us a stage further?

The only comparison I'm making between Rob Page and Chris Coleman and Jock Stein and Alex Ferguson is that the first two have done something that the other two couldn't with what were arguably stronger squads than the Welsh ones - apart from my voicing an opinion about the relative strengths of those squads, the rest of what I say if factual surely?
    LOL

When Page qualifys for his own finals and then gets out of the group he will get more credit from me. Its not that difficult to get out of a stage where up to 75% of the group qualify. Not when you have two genuinely world class players in your starting 11. Giggs qualified out of the qualifying group without Ramsey too. Far better achievement.

Bale probably told him at HT. Bale is running that show.
    Think your right if you look at the last team huddle it spoke volumes

I should imagine Page is lot like Paul Trollope very decent number 2 or development coach .

Its horses for courses , can imagine managing and motivating people in the modern era is a very difficult skill .

Daft comparison. 30-40 years difference. Different game. Squad strength is debatable, opposition strength is open to debate.

Im sure Sir Alex Ferguson wont lose any sleep over it.

Daft comparison. 30-40 years difference. Different game. Squad strength is debatable, opposition strength is open to debate.

Im sure Sir Alex Ferguson wont lose any sleep over it.
    All this because you won’t have a good word said about Rob Page .

That’s all this boils down to.

All this because you won’t have a good word said about Rob Page .

That’s all this boils down to.
    All what? Youre the one who bumped the thread and named me personally.

Page has done OK, but Giggs would have done better.

All what? Youre the one who bumped the thread and named me personally.

Page has done OK, but Giggs would have done better.
    Page has done OK is as good as it’s going to get isn’t it - best leave it there I reckon

LOL

When Page qualifys for his own finals and then gets out of the group he will get more credit from me. Its not that difficult to get out of a stage where up to 75% of the group qualify. Not when you have two genuinely world class players in your starting 11. Giggs qualified out of the qualifying group without Ramsey too. Far better achievement.
    That's as may be, but didn't Wales qualify in the top 50%?

You have to judge him mainly on his record as a league manager and he was completely indifferent as a manager at Port Vale and Northampton where he lost more games than he won at both clubs.For Wales he has been a bit better but one win one lucky draw and one defeat isn't exactly great paticularly when the win was against crap Turkey.

Beat Denmark and there is a case for him staying on as Wales manager but I would not even consider him for Cardiff. Might be one of these types who is a better number two like Trollope.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    You have to judge him mainly on his record as a league manager and he was completely indifferent as a manager at Port Vale and Northampton where he lost more games than he won at both clubs.For Wales he has been a bit better but one win one lucky draw and one defeat isn't exactly great paticularly when the win was against crap Turkey.

Beat Denmark and there is a case for him staying on as Wales manager but I would not even consider him for Cardiff. Might be one of these types who is a better number two like Trollope.
    What I will say in his defence the jobs at Northampton and Port Vale are going to be difficult for most managers.

A manager is only as good as the players at his disposal and that’s probably why he’s done better with the national side than he has at club level. He’s certainly benefited, like Coleman, in having 2 genuine world class players fit and ready.

Also, he’s a caretaker manager in unique circumstances so certainly the first few games the tactics were Ryan Giggs picking the team and tactics, he said as much himself afterwards. That’s not to say Giggs should take all the credit, it was an annoyance of mine that Gary Speed was / is still taking most of the credit for Chris Coleman’s achievements.

If we get to the QF I think Page can take credit, but if we get knocked out Saturday it will be a lucky draw and a win against the worst team in the tournament in 4 games. Nothing to get too excited about, or give too much credit for. Seeing as we are ranked in the top 16 teams in Europe then getting to the last 16 should be par for the course.