+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would Rob Page make a good Cardiff City manager?

Re: Would Rob Page make a good Cardiff City manager?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    That's as may be, but didn't Wales qualify in the top 50%?
    Bore off Jirga

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    It is an achievement what hes done. But lets be honest. We were fortunate to get a point against Switzerland and very fortunate not to be totally hammered v Italy.

We are so reliant on Bale and Ramsey being on the top of their game.

Im concerned with a manager who picks Chris Gunter , selects a Luton reserve and thinks Rodon/Mepham is a superb partnership.

Saying that ive no idea really how good Page is.

City had stick off some for our 2nd half display v Swansea despite restricting them to 1 short on target and creating the best chance. Whereas Wales get a free pass being dominated by Italy in 3rd gear and even subbing their keeper.
    Bit or irony when MM leaves Wilson on the bench there is accusations of not playing flair , when Page leaves Brookes and Wilson out first eleven not so 🤔.

And retrospectively Vaulks should have gone instead of Jonny Williams??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Bit or irony when MM leaves Wilson on the bench there is accusations of not playing flair , when Page leaves Brookes and Wilson out first eleven not so 🤔.

And retrospectively Vaulks should have gone instead of Jonny Williams??
    Erm, bit of a difference in levels and quality of team mates?!?!?. There’s players being selected for Wales ahead of Wilson who are far superior.

That comparison ranks as more ridiculous on this thread than TOBWs Page to Fergie / Stein

As for Vaulks he’s not an international player in a million years.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Bore off Jirga
    Ouch! 🤣

No.

I’d have the Danish coach over him.

Seems clueless to make any changes to the formation to counter Denmark's threat.

So it's a No from me.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    Seems clueless to make any changes to the formation to counter Denmark's threat.

So it's a No from me.
    Not sure what tactical change to the formation would have made any difference today Denmark were just so much better than us. Needed Bale and Ramsey to have good games for us today and they were ordinary verging on poor.

More chance of him making a good Cardiff one than a Wales one

Having seen our perfromance today, I'm beginning to regret starting this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Whilst it's fair to say that this is Giggs's Wales team, he has done a great job.

Would you be happy for him to step into the City hotseat, if we changed manager this season?

(I'm not trying to get McCarthy out, just trying to get some Cardiff chat going).
    No.

Page hasn't got a clue. Giggsys team and Page only had Plan A, no no no no.

Quote Originally Posted by mbatte View Post
    No.

Page hasn't got a clue. Giggsys team and Page only had Plan A, no no no no.
    I'm with you there. He was out thought by the Danish manager today. he knew had how to shackle Bale, Ramsey and James. Page didn't have a clue, nor a clue and has been found out. No doubt he'll stay on in the job though.....

Beats the worst team in the tournament and apparently he’s a good manager.

Page had a free shot at it, comes across as one of the boys, Manager?

NO!

No!!!

Poor bugger hasn’t got a clue. Wouldn’t want to kick him when he’s down but since it arises his total lack of strategy is the main reason why this talented team didn’t do more.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    No!!!

Poor bugger hasn’t got a clue. Wouldn’t want to kick him when he’s down but since it arises his total lack of strategy is the main reason why this talented team didn’t do more.
    Prey tell, what should he have done?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think he should have got Brooks or Wilson into the starting line up. Played Ramsey as one of the cms and left one of Allen or Morrell out.

I think Cabango should have been in the line up as well and Nico should be starting.

I dont think we would have gone any further though. For that we need Ramsey and Bale on top of their games and it wasnt to be.

I really hope that Morrell/Allen partnership is finished.

The exit isnt Pages fault though we just werent good enough.

Well, played to his strengths, foreseen and tried to nullify the strengths of opponents, reacted when tactics were failing.
    Everything really. Nothing clever about anything he did truthfully.
    The most obvious thing is that once they were two nil down in a knockout competition he should have chucked the sink at them.

People including Cardiff City pay a lot for managers and coaches who’ll make the most of what they’ve got to work with and that’s an essential factor. For example remember how MM quickly changed from 4 at the back to a flat 3 at half time when we were getting hammered ?

The coach can’t usually win games with poor players but any competent coach should have been able to do more with the players he had at his disposal, not to mention the ones he chose not to take.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Give it up Bob. He’s had a stinker of a tournament when you break it all down.

We we’re lucky not to have had a hiding like yesterday when we played Italy and the draw against the Swiss was fortunate. One victory against arguably the worst team in the tournament and you are trying to liken his achievements to that of Coleman in Euro 2016.

As soon as the side was named yesterday with Allen and Morrell in midfield again I knew we were out.

Hopefully it’s the last we see of him in the hot seat.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Well, played to his strengths, foreseen and tried to nullify the strengths of opponents, reacted when tactics were failing.
    Everything really. Nothing clever about anything he did truthfully.
    The most obvious thing is that once they were two nil down in a knockout competition he should have chucked the sink at them.

People including Cardiff City pay a lot for managers and coaches who’ll make the most of what they’ve got to work with and that’s an essential factor. For example remember how MM quickly changed from 4 at the back to a flat 3 at half time when we were getting hammered ?

The coach can’t usually win games with poor players but any competent coach should have been able to do more with the players he had at his disposal, not to mention the ones he chose not to take.
    I was expecting some sort of tactical discussion here, not just "he should have done everything better".

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Give it up Bob. He’s had a stinker of a tournament when you break it all down.

We we’re lucky not to have had a hiding like yesterday when we played Italy and the draw against the Swiss was fortunate. One victory against arguably the worst team in the tournament and you are trying to liken his achievements to that of Coleman in Euro 2016.

As soon as the side was named yesterday with Allen and Morrell in midfield again I knew we were out.

Hopefully it’s the last we see of him in the hot seat.
    I've said in my first post that "I’m far from convinced that Rob Page would be a good City manager" which was the question the OP asked. I just think that, all things considered, he did a pretty good job for Wales in difficult circumstances. At least you were giving your opinion on Page before yesterday's match, but it seems to me that there's far more who don't rate after last night.

I've not read through this thread, but international management is massively different to Club management. I don't think that i'd want page as city manager, and i wouldn't have wanted Coleman either.

My thought was the squad was too inexperienced and leaving out Chester, Vaulks and Robson kanu was a huge error.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    My thought was the squad was too inexperienced and leaving out Chester, Vaulks and Robson kanu was a huge error.
    I think the idea is that giving younger players as much experience as possible they're better prepared when it's their turn to be first names on the team sheet and, possibly because not enough get game time at club level, it helps their footballing skills develop as well.

It's similar to the Toshack model which has served us well without being able to give them 50 caps by age of 25 because we're now in competitive games.

I'm not here to pick out individuals who are currently with us, and have done well in vast majority of games, but suggestion on twitter being that we were missing a Joe Ledley (who I would characterise as being a good engine, bigger body in CM, good passer of the ball, does his job efficiently without mistake, experienced at highest level) which I think is a fair one.

With Wales Page has Arsenal assistant by his side but that's not going to happen if he became first team manager at club football. Not only do we have a lack of evidence, outdated evidence, as Page as a club boss but we can't even say he'd be as good as he currently is because he'd be missing a big part of backroom staff. There really is a lack of evidence to judge on.