+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FT: SCOTLAND 1 - 3 CROATIA.

Re: FT: SCOTLAND 1 - 3 CROATIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    By comparison Wales have reached the finals of 3 major tournaments and on each occasion have made it beyond the group stages. QF in 1958 W/C, SF in the 2016 Euros and the last 16 (at least) in the current competition.
    Not too shabby really, could also add in the ‘76 euro campaign where we were essentially quarter finalists. However, much like that ‘76 team our run of nearly misses to qualify must take some beating as well.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Several thousand Scotland supporters never made it back to Scotland following the 1978 World Cup

https://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/...978-world-cup/

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Several thousand Scotland supporters never made it back to Scotland following the 1978 World Cup

https://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/...978-world-cup/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That was in 1974, when they went out because they didn't beat Zaire by as many as Brazil and Yugoslavia did after are all of the games ended in draws except the ones Zaire were involved in.

Scotland were a joke in 1978 when "Ally's army" went over to Argentina as if they were going to win the thing and their squad, almost all of whom had horrendous perms for the occasion, ended up being stuffed by Peru and embarrassed by Iran - they also had Willie Johnston sent home after failing a drugs test. They did manage to beat the Netherlands in their last game when Archie Gemmill scored that great goal, but as soon as it looked like they might have a chance of qualifying, the Dutch went straight up the pitch and scored to consolidate their position.

Scotland had a good squad in 1982 and were involved in some entertaining games - they best New Zealand 5-2 and drew 2-2 with Russia, but ran into the great Brazilian team that everyone thought was going to win that tournament and were beaten 4-1 after having the temerity to take the lead.
    I remember the 1978 debacle well. A mate of mine was echoing Ally's " we're going to bring the world cup back from over there" mantra, as his father was a Glaswegian. Regardless of Wales failure to even qualify, I gave him some almighty stick when Peru stuffed the Scots. He was almost in tears. Looking back on it, I probably went too far !

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I remember the 1978 debacle well. A mate of mine was echoing Ally's " we're going to bring the world cup back from over there" mantra, as his father was a Glaswegian. Regardless of Wales failure to even qualify, I gave him some almighty stick when Peru stuffed the Scots. He was almost in tears. Looking back on it, I probably went too far !
    McCleod must have been some talker to get the Jocks to believe they were gonna win it!!

That was in 1974, when they went out because they didn't beat Zaire by as many as Brazil and Yugoslavia did after are all of the games ended in draws except the ones Zaire were involved in.

Scotland were a joke in 1978 when "Ally's army" went over to Argentina as if they were going to win the thing and their squad, almost all of whom had horrendous perms for the occasion, ended up being stuffed by Peru and embarrassed by Iran - they also had Willie Johnston sent home after failing a drugs test. They did manage to beat the Netherlands in their last game when Archie Gemmill scored that great goal, but as soon as it looked like they might have a chance of qualifying, the Dutch went straight up the pitch and scored to consolidate their position.

Scotland had a good squad in 1982 and were involved in some entertaining games - they best New Zealand 5-2 and drew 2-2 with Russia, but ran into the great Brazilian team that everyone thought was going to win that tournament and were beaten 4-1 after having the temerity to take the lead.
    And you omit to mention the absolutely laughable open bus top tour around Hamden BEFORE they left for Argentina in 1978…..

This just added to the hilarity of their total implosion when they actually got to the tournament itself, captured so perfectly by the sight of Ally MacLeod with his head in his hands, in the dug out.

I always take great pleasure at Scotland’s continuing misfortune after they cheated us out of WC qualification at Anfield in 1977 and then prevented us from qualifying again in 1985 with a dubious penalty at NP.

Not that I’m in anyway bitter, or anything….

Oh yes "Ally's army". I remember they had a victory parade around Hampden before they'd even left for the world cup in Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    They were really unlucky in two WCs in the 70s -
    74 and 78 I think, haven't looked it up,
    but IIRC they went out on GD in one year and drew their games in the other, becoming the only unbeaten side in the finals - the winners having lost one of the group games.
    Crazy stat
    They weren't unlucky in 78
    They blew it in the opening 2 games by not being good enough

To be honest they only qualified for this tournament via a play off, and even that went to penalties.
    Currently ranked 44th in the world, what did the Scottish fans expect ?
    They are simply not good enough at the moment and should see these Euros as the first building block on the road to recovery.
    I nearly fell off my chair when fans were distract and felt they should have gone onto the QF stages ��