+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seems Mainly UK Sides Taking The Knee

Re: Seems Mainly UK Sides Taking The Knee

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Still think more sides would adopt the position of taking the knee , shocked to read today it was just a few sides still adopting it mainly the UK sides, pointing out that doesn't make anyone a racist or right winger.

Neither does it make anyone a racist who they vote for albeit racism exists both the left and right side of politics and its voters .

If some feel taking the knee is now slowly losing its impact , it doesn't make them racists.

It's reported decent genuine and even black players and sides think the action has perhaps had its day, and perhaps should now end ,still doesn't make them racists .
    You're painfully transparent.

Still think more sides would adopt the position of taking the knee , shocked to read today it was just a few sides still adopting it mainly the UK sides, pointing out that doesn't make anyone a racist or right winger.

Neither does it make anyone a racist who they vote for albeit racism exists both the left and right side of politics and its voters .

If some feel taking the knee is now slowly losing its impact , it doesn't make them racists.

It's reported decent genuine and even black players and sides think the action has perhaps had its day, and perhaps should now end ,still doesn't make them racists .
    I would agree with you that it shouldn't make a difference regarding voting intention and what papers you read but its definitely a factor

Let's be honest here if someone gets their news from The Sun or The Daily Mail they are going to be fed some right nasty stuff regarding race and immigration .

And when the tory party openly courts the immigration card then its going to attract people of a racist persuasion to vote for them .

Having said that there are lots of people from white working class backgrounds who read The Sun and vote Labour and some of the attitudes on building sites towards black people and some of the racially offensive terms used wouldn't go down well with the Islington Labour Party .

I think the tories are very clever in attracting the white working class who are right wing in thinking regarding race

Thats why Labour are fecked.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I would agree with you that it shouldn't make a difference regarding voting intention and what papers you read but its definitely a factor

Let's be honest here if someone gets their news from The Sun or The Daily Mail they are going to be fed some right nasty stuff regarding race and immigration .

And when the tory party openly courts the immigration card then its going to attract people of a racist persuasion to vote for them .

Having said that there are lots of people from white working class backgrounds who read The Sun and vote Labour and some of the attitudes on building sites towards black people and some of the racially offensive terms used wouldn't go down well with the Islington Labour Party .

I think the tories are very clever in attracting the white working class who are right wing in thinking regarding race

Thats why Labour are fecked.
    Spot on , not sure about clever Tories lol , I just wonder if they were Tory voters in the beginning ,seemed that way in the Brexit vote

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    It looks as if the Wales team either encouraged or shamed the Turkey team and half the Italy team into taking the knee too.

Good on them!
    indeed , especially the Turks as their countries history on human rights is one of the worst .

I'm guessing their players see a fairer broader life playing in England , Germany etc , than in their own country .

I agree that if some feel taking the knee is now slowly losing its impact it doesn't make them racist. But if "some" decried it from the outset and regularly posted updates each time some player or team stopped to argue everyone should stop as it has had its day then it probably does. Here is your back copy on the subject if it helps others form a view on which side of the line you fall.

1. If black lives matter so much why do they kill each other .
    2. with regards to black lives matter I get it ,support it,fed up with it dictating every media narrative .
    3. I'm on one knee as we speak ,I'm sure nothing bad was going on perfect driving ,no etc
    4. before all this , ,people were asking why black youths were knifing each other in London
    5. It's been politically highjacked, wait for the onslaught .
    6. Well done QPR and Matt Le Tissier
    7. Its about the overall injustices in the world which all deserve the same empathy and respect of lives ,its strange how certain injustices are recognised over others , for example I cant recall a simalir demonstrsting in the same as BLM , hope its not political.
    8. Need to move on now , lots of folk irritated , lots of things wrong in the world.
    9. society problem is about populism subject matter such as BLM or Eco issues ,its like the brand new thing to follow ,
    10. The only interest I ever had in 'taking the knee ' was when I was involved in parks football
    11. I'd never boo , however I do think taking the knee needs to have an end date
    12. Where have all the BLM riots /Demo's gone in the USA and to some extent UK, loads of statues left standing we need rid off ?
    13. With the latest onset of abusive via ocial media sites , from racism to death threats and homephobic insults to wards Black and white people, isn't it time that footballers as a unit now make a similar stance as tthd yaking the knee protest and simply stop using these abusive platforms that generate such nastiness .
    14. Great decision well, done the brave Bees , when you consider they in particular have developed and have a lot of good young black players .Think it all as to end , before crowds return .Iwonder if the 6 nation Rugby players divided response provide a catalyst to change ?
    15. Rumours Brentford will not be taking the knee in the Premiership. Croatia are saying the same for the Euro's , both refer to the alleged no politics rules in football , and its long-term ineffectiveness , as per Zaha point and decision ?
    16. Lets prey the new football role models of society behaviour in the appropriate for all manner of things not just race .
    17. Appears Scotland will not be Taking The Knee ,it will intresting to see how this plays out over the tournament .I believe England and NZ cricketers didn't partake today .

How can you be 'shocked' when you also state 'It's reported decent genuine and even black players and sides think the action has perhaps had its day'?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    How can you be 'shocked' when you also state 'It's reported decent genuine and even black players and sides think the action has perhaps had its day'?
    Two different reported events the black players like Zaha and those lets say at Brentford have this view and were reported as saying this well before Euros , the sides not taking the knee was reported separately and recently, perhaps shocked is wrong terminology I just thought as this was global event the very big European sides would continue to taking the knee, whilst countries like Hungry , Croatia , Czech , North Macedonia , Russia would not ..

Two different reported events the black players like Zaha and those lets say at Brentford have this view and were reported as saying this well before Euros , the sides not taking the knee was reported separately and recently, perhaps shocked is wrong terminology I just thought as this was global event the very big European sides would continue to taking the knee, whilst countries like Hungry , Croatia , Czech , North Macedonia , Russia would not ..
    Hungry Croatia? Where’s Bob Geldof & Midge Ure when you need ‘em!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Hungry Croatia? Where’s Bob Geldof & Midge Ure when you need ‘em!!!!
    To busy becoming rich capitalist of the backs of music fans

To busy becoming rich capitalist of the backs of music fans
    O

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    O
    f

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    f
    s

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    And it really pisses off the racists.
    It may piss off racists, but a lot of Black folk aren’t too enamoured with it either.
    I personally know at least a dozen people of all ethnicities, that i’ve grown up around, and aren’t racist, but find it a bit of a hollow gesture.
    I think it would have had more clout, if it had been originated by a white sportsman.
    You can’t beat racism out of a person. Until we can look each at each other and see another person and not a colour, racism will thrive.
    Instead of players feeling emotionally forced into taking the knee, the real racists in the crowds, and on the pitch should be emptied for ever from the game.
    There are plenty of racists who attend sporting events, but keep it to themselves, but the ones who are vociferous about it have to be immediately identified and bombed out.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    It may piss off racists, but a lot of Black folk aren’t too enamoured with it either.
    I personally know at least a dozen people of all ethnicities, that i’ve grown up around, and aren’t racist, but find it a bit of a hollow gesture.
    I think it would have had more clout, if it had been originated by a white sportsman.
    You can’t beat racism out of a person. Until we can look each at each other and see another person and not a colour, racism will thrive.
    Instead of players feeling emotionally forced into taking the knee, the real racists in the crowds, and on the pitch should be emptied for ever from the game.
    There are plenty of racists who attend sporting events, but keep it to themselves, but the ones who are vociferous about it have to be immediately identified and bombed out.
    Its not as simple as that . I will shop a racist but not everyone can and many people feel extremely intimidated by a big lump and his mate using racist language .

This was never about changing committed racists, that cannot be achieved short of putting a bullet in them. This campaign was designed to reduce and eventually eradicate racism in younger generations. Rome wasn't built in a day

Its not as simple as that . I will shop a racist but not everyone can and many people feel extremely intimidated by a big lump and his mate using racist language .
    And there in lies one of the problems. If a fellow white person feels intimidated by a racist, then imagine how the intended victim/victims feel?
    I’m not expecting a small guy to tackle a couple of brutes. There will be many others in the vicinity who will hear it. Self policing is the only way to get the ball rolling.

I don't know if the end point is to get to somewhere where we don't see colour but if we jump to that now, and to use really simplistic and therefore probably somewhat inaccurate terms, it means that people who have been abused are treated with no more empathy than the abusers. There are people who have definitely progressed their standings in life by promoting racism and people who have definitely been held back because of racism so we cannot jump to not seeing colour. On the flips side, some people abused will not want to be defined by being abused at all and would be insulted if you impose that on them.

Taking the knee seems to go on for less than 30 seconds. It's a flawed gesture for how little it achieves in itself and yet here we are again speaking about racism and, for some of us, being encouraged to become more aware of how people not like ourselves have experienced the world. The gesture has had some effect, though it has also meant others have closed themselves off from becoming more aware.

I would agree that on basis of probability it's likely there are some who have taken the knee who haven't thought about racism at all and some who have done it who cling to racist viewpoints. As I said, flawed gesture.

One of the statements we hear is no one is born a racist. To me, that means any of us are capable of it and need to be on guard to challenge the behaviour whether that's in others or ourselves and that the most dangerous people are the ones intelligent enough to know it's wrong, and may or may not honestly hold those views themselves, but chose to promote/amplify it/spread it because of how it advances them personally: the teachers of racism.

And there in lies one of the problems. If a fellow white person feels intimidated by a racist, then imagine how the intended victim/victims feel?
    I’m not expecting a small guy to tackle a couple of brutes. There will be many others in the vicinity who will hear it. Self policing is the only way to get the ball rolling.
    It takes a lot of bollocks to walk up to a bone head spouting racist abuse

I have done it several times and its squeaky bum and butterflies time

Is this muppet going to back down or is he going to have a swing , I don't need that

I nowadays go to the stewards who get the cctv on them and have a quiet word as its often your word against theirs but if several people have pointed out the offender the stewards and police normally go in

It takes a lot of bollocks to walk up to a bone head spouting racist abuse

I have done it several times and its squeaky bum and butterflies time

Is this muppet going to back down or is he going to have a swing , I don't need that

I nowadays go to the stewards who get the cctv on them and have a quiet word as its often your word against theirs but if several people have pointed out the offender the stewards and police normally go in
    Good on you Sludge. There should be more folk willing to do that.

Good on you Sludge. There should be more folk willing to do that.
    Its quite scary though

I mean its all very well being anti racist but there are racist cowards who shut up when you confront them and lunatics who are convinced they are right , are active racists and happy to stick one on you if you question them

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    This was never about changing committed racists, that cannot be achieved short of putting a bullet in them. This campaign was designed to reduce and eventually eradicate racism in younger generations. Rome wasn't built in a day
    Agreed. It's a long-run issue.

Perversely, the anti-knee gang are actually raising the profile of BLM. Clever racists would have ignored taking the knee but then they're as rare as elm tunnels.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Agreed. It's a long-run issue.

Perversely, the anti-knee gang are actually raising the profile of BLM. Clever racists would have ignored taking the knee but then they're as rare as elm tunnels.
    I would say that Black folk continually killing other black folk on the streets of Britain and the USA for no other reason than rag colour is lowering the profile of BLM.