+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: roaming charges

roaming charges

looks like they are on the way back.

it was nice while it lasted

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57595913.amp

Re: roaming charges

Yes that is a pain in the arse I have to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

BREXIT, the con that keeps on costing.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    BREXIT, the con that keeps on costing.
    on the plus side though we will soon be able to buy hormone fed Australian beef that had been raised in conditions that wouldn't be allowed here because they are too cruel.

I’ve been with them since 1996, when it was Orange and I still have the same answering machine message.
    This sort of thing is going to make me think twice about staying.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I’ve been with them since 1996, when it was Orange and I still have the same answering machine message.
    This sort of thing is going to make me think twice about staying.
    It seems likely that the other operators will very quickly follow suit

And massively increased credit card processing fees for uk-eu payments. Got a UK business with an EU customer base? Your processing costs go up five-fold. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    And massively increased credit card processing fees for uk-eu payments. Got a UK business with an EU customer base? Your processing costs go up five-fold. Yay!
    In the Telegraph and on GB News there was a piece "5 things remainers got wrong". The article outlined some of the more extreme doomsday scenarios that people had made and debunked them..

The problem is that the pandemic has prolonged the delay in the inevitable negative consequences of BREXIT.

The Government has essentially been given a bit of a BREXIT free-pass as economies, movement etc has all been affected by the pandemic.

Also, those affected are shouting that they are affected but no one is really listening because the media is so biased in favour of 'not rocking the boat'.

When we start to get back to normal, pandemic-wise, then we will start to realise (after a little positive blip caused by post-pandemic energy and money being spent) the delayed negative consequences of BREXIT on our economy, academia and movement, and it is going to be bad. That's why the government are in constant PR mode.

Roaming tariffs is the start.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    In the Telegraph and on GB News there was a piece "5 things remainers got wrong". The article outlined some of the more extreme doomsday scenarios that people had made and debunked them..

The problem is that the pandemic has prolonged the delay in the inevitable negative consequences of BREXIT.

The Government has essentially been given a bit of a BREXIT free-pass as economies, movement etc has all been affected by the pandemic.

Also, those affected are shouting that they are affected but no one is really listening because the media is so biased in favour of 'not rocking the boat'.

When we start to get back to normal, pandemic-wise, then we will start to realise (after a little positive blip caused by post-pandemic energy and money being spent) the delayed negative consequences of BREXIT on our economy, academia and movement, and it is going to be bad. That's why the government are in constant PR mode.

Roaming tariffs is the start.
    To be fair on roaming tariffs- its only EE doing it so far. So the consumer does have a choice.

On credit card payments this isn't the case. You cannot really sell B2C without accepting Visa or mastercard.

I don’t think we can really make educated statements until we have been out of the EU for10 years.
    To be fair both sides (remain and leave) lied through their teeth

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I don’t think we can really make educated statements until we have been out of the EU for10 years.
    what lies did remain make?

what lies did remain make?
    Pensions would fall through the floor, house prices would do the same. Cameron even wheeled in Obama to try to make his case.
    It is what really lost them the vote in the end as remain continually ramped up the doom and gloom until the people didn’t give them any credibility

Pensions would fall through the floor, house prices would do the same. Cameron even wheeled in Obama to try to make his case.
    It is what really lost them the vote in the end as remain continually ramped up the doom and gloom until the people didn’t give them any credibility
    What lies from the Leave side have you spotted?

What do you mean? There are clear and specific down sides like this; like speed of goods through ports etc that are very clearly downsides. I think what is missing is clear and specific upsides.

Bit of a 1st World doomsday then.

I'd blame EE (bt) more than brexit, didn't they all say they had no intention of returning to them, don't they already make enough profit to be able to cover this.

The scrapping of roaming charges was one of the relatively few things the EU got right. Seems poor from the UK government to allow the phone companies to row back on this.
    Surely we could have updated UK law to include this protection against roaming fees

when we say its roaming charges, its not like the old days with silly costs

its £2 a day to have roaming ( as you were in the UK with your home allowances / costs etc )

So a 7 day break to Europe, would cost you a extra £14 to use your phone as you would at home

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    The scrapping of roaming charges was one of the relatively few things the EU got right. Seems poor from the UK government to allow the phone companies to row back on this.
    Surely we could have updated UK law to include this protection against roaming fees
    You surely are not serious? One of the few things? Literally, OMG.

Perhaps you can explain how the UK government can tell phone companies to keep scrapping roaming charges when we are no longer in the EU?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Perhaps you can explain how the UK government can tell phone companies to keep scrapping roaming charges when we are no longer in the EU?
    By legislating. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    You surely are not serious? One of the few things? Literally, OMG.
    It's like being at a lib dem meeting !

First Team

It's like being at a lib dem meeting !
    Have a gander at this:

https://what-europe-does-for-me.eu/en/portal

Quite a lot of admirable things on there, no?

Tell me what Westminster has done for Wales in the last 1,000 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    By updating UK law was my suggestion. It appears that has been done in terms of limiting roaming charges to £45 a month, seems like quite a high figure to me.

The other option of course, would have been for both sets of negotiators to look after their citizens and include it in the trade deal.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    when we say its roaming charges, its not like the old days with silly costs

its £2 a day to have roaming ( as you were in the UK with your home allowances / costs etc )

So a 7 day break to Europe, would cost you a extra £14 to use your phone as you would at home
    Isn't it a tenner for 30 days as well , which seems very reasonable ??

Back in the old day wi fi wasn't as far reaching as it is now abroad , or any good, I'm guessing whatt's App via wi fit will be used more to avoid roaming costs and other free sites ?

There is not evidence this wouldn't have happened anyway via discreet increase in monthly plans anyway , those costs were just not exposed as a standalone charge they were sucked into monthly traffic increases.

Its for new customers and perhaps renewals , it would only take one of the operators to brake ranks and not charge and we could see a bidding war .

If the roaming costs were really channelled back in to improving infrastructures within the UK including 5g masts most would accept the £2 , just a beer less a day out of 15

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Isn't it a tenner for 30 days as well , which seems very reasonable ??

Back in the old day wi fi wasn't as far reaching as it is now abroad , or any good, I'm guessing whatt's App via wi fit will be used more to avoid roaming costs and other free sites ?

There is not evidence this wouldn't have happened anyway via discreet increase in monthly plans anyway , those costs were just not exposed as a standalone charge they were sucked into monthly traffic increases.

Its for new customers and perhaps renewals , it would only take one of the operators to brake ranks and not charge and we could see a bidding war .

If the roaming costs were really channelled back in to improving infrastructures within the UK including 5g masts most would accept the £2 , just a beer less a day out of 15
    Brake ranks! That’ll stop it