+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: UEFA scrap away goals rule

UEFA scrap away goals rule

The away goals rule in European club football is to be abolished from the start of next season, governing body Uefa has confirmed.

The rule, used since 1965, decided drawn two-legged games by favouring the team that scored the most away goals.

All ties level on aggregate at the end of the second leg will instead go to extra time and potentially penalties.

"It is no longer appropriate for an away goal to carry more weight," said Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin.

Uefa's club competitions committee made the proposal in May and it has now been approved by the body's executive committee.

It means games in the Champions League, Europa League, Europa Conference League and Women's Champions League will no longer use the rule.

Uefa says there is now a smaller gap between the number of home and away wins as well as home and away goals scored in European competitions compared to when the rule was introduced, reducing home advantage.

It says that is down to a number of factors including pitch quality, improved stadium infrastructure and new technology such as the video assistant referee.

"The impact of the rule now runs counter to its original purpose as, in fact, it now dissuades home teams - especially in first legs - from attacking, because they fear conceding a goal that would give their opponents a crucial advantage," Ceferin added.

"There is also criticism of the unfairness, especially in extra-time, of obliging the home team to score twice when the away team has scored.

"It is fair to say that home advantage is now no longer as significant as it once was."

Re: UEFA scrap away goals rule

Good. Never liked that rule. It's always seemed a bit daft.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

"It is fair to say that home advantage is now no longer as significant as it once was."
    This is interesting. I assume there are statistics to back this up, but I wonder what is driving the change?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Good. Never liked that rule. It's always seemed a bit daft.
    Lost count of how many times I've seen a first leg finish a score draw then watched the home side park the bus in the second leg knowing that if they kept a clean sheet they were through.

They should have abolished extra time as well and gone straight to pens.
    Why should the home team get an extra half hr in front of their own fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    This is interesting. I assume there are statistics to back this up, but I wonder what is driving the change?
    Could it be just another in a long line of alterations to football rules, another change for changes sake?

Although it is probably to do with the fact there will be more drama with an increase in pelanty shoot-outs.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Could it be just another in a long line of alterations to football rules, another change for changes sake?

Although it is probably to do with the fact there will be more drama with an increase in pelanty shoot-outs.
    Is there not a chance that it's been changed simply because it was a stupid rule to begin with?

I’d like it if they went back to the old format of two legs from the start instead of the group system which affords the big guns second, even third chances of progressing should they bugger up in one or two of their games.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’d like it if they went back to the old format of two legs from the start instead of the group system which affords the big guns second, even third chances of progressing should they bugger up in one or two of their games.
    It’d make it very exciting if they took an FA Cup approach to it with no seeding. Big guns come in for the 3rd or even 2nd round with names in a hat, but the 3 best things about the FA Cup when it really mattered to all, was that

1. Top teams could come up against each other early
    2. Lower league teams could pull out a dream tie at home
    3. Lower league teams could progress a long way by being repeatedly drawn against teams outside the top division

Sadly money would override it as an option

International

Perhaps they'll play one half of extra time in each stadium. That'll put their revenue up, greedy bastards

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    They should have abolished extra time as well and gone straight to pens.
    Why should the home team get an extra half hr in front of their own fans?
    Couldn't agree more.