+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hungary

Hungary

Are they heading down the road to ‘South Africa’ like ostracisation? The attitude of their government and their fans towards both the LGBT community and racism seem to tally with no condemnation. Could it be that if drawn against a fairly liberal country in competition that fairly liberal country could refuse to play them? They seem to believe that they’re untouchable and can behave how they like, surely they need taking down a peg or two.

Re: Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Are they heading down the road to ‘South Africa’ like ostracisation? The attitude of their government and their fans towards both the LGBT community and racism seem to tally with no condemnation. Could it be that if drawn against a fairly liberal country in competition that fairly liberal country could refuse to play them? They seem to believe that they’re untouchable and can behave how they like, surely they need taking down a peg or two.
    Haven't they just played a 'fairly liberal country' in Germany?

Rainbow armbands (incurring EUFA wrath) worn by German players and lots of German stadia doing a rainbow light show during the match. Germany has its populist right and sections of its society are clearly conservative, but it also appears to be as socially liberal as any other northern (maybe southern too these days despite the hold of Catholicism) and western European country.

(I read somewhere that Victor Orban has pumped a lot of money into Hungarian football in a deliberate attempt to use sport to bolster his political project).

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Haven't they just played a 'fairly liberal country' in Germany?

Rainbow armbands (incurring EUFA wrath) worn by German players and lots of German stadia doing a rainbow light show during the match. Germany has its populist right and sections of its society are clearly conservative, but it also appears to be as socially liberal as any other northern (maybe southern too these days despite the hold of Catholicism) and western European country.

(I read somewhere that Victor Orban has pumped a lot of money into Hungarian football in a deliberate attempt to use sport to bolster his political project).
    I know they’ve just played the Germans but this tournament is an ongoing event, a bit too late for action. I’m on about forthcoming fixtures, fixtures in the future when a lot more may be known about the Hungarian attitude and way of life. Surely UEFA and other sporting bodies, indeed non sporting bodies too, can’t bury their heads in the sand.

Are they any different to USA under Trump or many of the southern States.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Or the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    yes

How?

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Or the UK?
    The UK is one of the most liberal places in the world, especially where LGBT is concerned

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The UK is one of the most liberal places in the world, especially where LGBT is concerned
    Not according to some on here.
    We are the most racist homophobic country in the world.
    Not sure where they live but it's not at all like that where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I know they’ve just played the Germans but this tournament is an ongoing event, a bit too late for action. I’m on about forthcoming fixtures, fixtures in the future when a lot more may be known about the Hungarian attitude and way of life. Surely UEFA and other sporting bodies, indeed non sporting bodies too, can’t bury their heads in the sand.
    Nevermind at least the World Cup is being played in a wonderful Liberal, free fair minded country , those teams or players who have very strong objections may boycott the event .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Nevermind at least the World Cup is being played in a wonderful Liberal, free fair minded country , those teams or players who have very strong objections may boycott the event .
    I would've thought that Qatar would be right up your street.

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    Not like that where i live either.

International

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Not like that where i live either.
    Nor I.

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    Who are these "some" you speak of?

I know you don't know where they live but what evidence can you point to that they think the UK/Wales is the most racist homophobic country in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I'm not sure this is how we should think about it. It's a race to become non-homophobic rather than a race to become less homophobic than other nations.

UEFA bans rainbow flag of Orange fans in fan zone and stadium in Budapest: https://www.nu.nl/algemeen/6142062/u...tml?redirect=1
    It's political legislation that determines how LGBTQ+ people are treated in a nation and UEFA are looking to hide away any support for LGBTQ+ people. How is that not a political statement about how seriously to take LGBTQ+ rights?