sticking it to the big guns

Onwards

Re: Thanks Wales , Proud Of You

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    tiny nation

Onwards
    A tiny nation that has been sent on a tour of Europe in the last few weeks while some of those big guns you mention have been able to play home game after home game - no complaints today, we were beaten by a much better team, but I hope this is the first and last time we see this format used.

:Wales:

A bridge too far.

Some expect us to be world beaters, we have some quality, but not enough.

tiny nation

Onwards
    What a load of bollocks. We stuck it to no one but Turkey who were ****ing shit.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    What a load of bollocks. We stuck it to no one but Turkey who were ****ing shit.
    Proud of the team , lots of second tier players

Knackered , the boys did their best against sides with far more players to chose from than us

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A tiny nation that has been sent on a tour of Europe in the last few weeks while some of those big guns you mention have been able to play home game after home game - no complaints today, we were beaten by a much better team, but I hope this is the first and last time we see this format used.
    It is a ridiculous format.

Denmark could go all the way. Even Cornelius looked like a world beater tonight ( Pity it is 8 years too late!!)

Proud of the team , lots of second tier players

Knackered , the boys did their best against sides with far more players to chose from than us
    If we had played well, we could have beat the Swiss and won today. We were ****ing shit. We have more talent now than maybe ever. We didn't show up today.

Glad we qualified again, happy we got through the group but unlike 5 years ago we looked happy to make up the numbers today.

No real plan, one way from the first 15 minutes on.

Like with City, we have to move on from the plucky little team. Think we have done enough over the last 5 years to compete with Denmark, but not today.

Did great to get to the tournament , did great to get out of the group

Well done Wales

You can’t fault the effort but our performances will be considered some of the poorest in the competition despite reaching the last 16.

The team was undoubtedly handicapped by the structure of the competition and the policy of countries which meant we basically had near nothing in terms of fans in the stadium.

Rob Page is a good coach but if we had a manager with international nous we could also maximize the talent we have.

My positive take on it is that we are now a nation that qualifies for major tournaments. I’d prefer to be in it with a chance of succeeding than not at all. Brazil got stuffed 7-1 in a world cup in their own country. It doesn’t mean they are a bad side.

It’s the same for this team. On their day, under different circumstances, we can beat Denmark. Just look at Austria against the Italians. Confidence and brilliance are fleeting and fickle but make more of a difference than talent alone.

I love this team and in that sense I’m proud. That said, we can and will do better.

Ramsey didn’t play well today, he seems pivotal to us…..

Brilliant lads
    You can't beat rudy Glockner #2 uefa Var and the Facking eu

We looked poor tonight , think our big hitters such as Bale ,Ramsey and Allen are running on empty, we need to step back and let the youngsters perform , especially Wilson and Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    We looked poor tonight , think our big hitters such as Bale ,Ramsey and Allen are running on empty, we need to step back and let the youngsters perform , especially Wilson and Brooks
    I think Denmark managed to nullify our poorer players, which stopped the likes of Bale having any impact.

Could have been a different game had we taken advantage of the 20 minute spell in the first half where we had them rattled.

We had to score first and had Bale taken his chance like their fella did, it could have been a different outcome albeit a backs to the wall and hit em on the break effort.

No shame in our performance, beaten by the better side who had a bit more quality and tactical nous, with just a little help from the man in the middle.

Yes, we did well to qualify and we did well to get to the last 16, but that shouldn’t mean that they escape from any criticism though. I thought we were shocking today and made Denmark look better than what they are. I felt embarrassed watching that and Page showed his limitations.
    We have a good group of youngsters though, so am quite optimistic about the future. Just need a decent manager to nurture that talent.

We have been totally shafted by UEFA in this competition, Let’s take some pride from the fact this is the fourth time we have reached the knock out stages of a major competition. Scotland haven’t managed it once. How many countries of our size have managed to do this?
    I am very proud to support Wales. Our supporters are as passionate and compassionate as any in the world. Today was a bad day. So what? It does not undo the fabulous memories we have all shared over the past six or seven years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We have been totally shafted by UEFA in this competition, Let’s take some pride from the fact this is the fourth time we have reached the knock out stages of a major competition. Scotland haven’t managed it once. How many countries of our size have managed to do this?
    I am very proud to support Wales. Our supporters are as passionate and compassionate as any in the world. Today was a bad day. So what? It does not undo the fabulous memories we have all shared over the past six or seven years.
    I couldn't agree more

BBC News - Euro 2020 Wales v Denmark: Expats in Amsterdam form Red Army
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57621196

Wales , innit

Proud of these lot, can’t fault the effort. We’ve waited a long time to qualify for tournaments, I’ll take this type of disappointment over Bodin penalty near misses every day of the week.

We’ve been living through a halcyon period for us the last 8 years or so. Consistent top 20 in the world with a foray into the top 10 at points. I’ve tried to savour it whilst it lasts. The anomaly of Uruguay aside, not many countries our size get to this place let alone maintain it.

Few things conspired against us for this tournament. The Giggs situation couldn’t have helped in terms of our preparation. I do think a savvier tactician would have gotten more out of this squad for these games but we’ve limited resources and that was sadly the hand we got dealt.

The obscene imbalance where we had to criss cross Europe and travel the equivalent distance of Wales to Argentina whilst the Danes, for example, only had to contend with a comparatively short hop from Copenhagen to Amsterdam. This tournament and the time we’re living through condemned us to playing “away” games the entire time, a situation worse than our non-tournament away games over the last few years as we’ve regularly taken thousands.

And frustratingly, in a tournament where I think generally the refereeing has been of a good standard, we didn’t get the rub of the green with some decisions not going our way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Proud of these lot, can’t fault the effort. We’ve waited a long time to qualify for tournaments, I’ll take this type of disappointment over Bodin penalty near misses every day of the week.

We’ve been living through a halcyon period for us the last 8 years or so. Consistent top 20 in the world with a foray into the top 10 at points. I’ve tried to savour it whilst it lasts. The anomaly of Uruguay aside, not many countries our size get to this place let alone maintain it.

Few things conspired against us for this tournament. The Giggs situation couldn’t have helped in terms of our preparation. I do think a savvier tactician would have gotten more out of this squad for these games but we’ve limited resources and that was sadly the hand we got dealt.

The obscene imbalance where we had to criss cross Europe and travel the equivalent distance of Wales to Argentina whilst the Danes, for example, only had to contend with a comparatively short hop from Copenhagen to Amsterdam. This tournament and the time we’re living through condemned us to playing “away” games the entire time, a situation worse than our non-tournament away games over the last few years as we’ve regularly taken thousands.

And frustratingly, in a tournament where I think generally the refereeing has been of a good standard, we didn’t get the rub of the green with some decisions not going our way.

I don't think many would have had to deal with as much as we did both in the build-up and duration of the tournament:

- CEO departs
    - Manager temporarily steps away due to front-page circumstances in his personal life
    - 30 plus degrees in Baku, an away game in Baku, an away game in Rome, an away game in Amsterdam.
    - Arguably a harsh sending off of Ampadu
    - A ref who harshly books Moore and Rodon then takes no action when Moore fouled before they score their second. Harshly sends off Wilson too.

Despite this, and recognising we were second best yesterday and disappointingly let our frustrations show, we achieved with qualification from the group and the FAW did their best to make sure the whole of Wales was reached out to in order to again use a tournament to build future success.

Even in tough circumstances we might have been expected to beat Turkey, lose to Italy (currently 7th in the world) and Denmark (currently 10th in the world) so when looking back on the tournament I'll be focusing on the Switzerland game as a marker of our time in Euros 2020. Drawing against a side like Switzerland (13th in the world, reached tournament football in 7 of last 8 tournaments before this and qualified from group stages in 4 of those) shows how well we did and also sets out maybe not the the direct next step but the future goal to work to.

We come out of this tournament at a bit of a crossroads knowing that the squad has a higher floor than 2016 but a lower ceiling and not knowing which players will push that ceiling up again. Will need patience and good supportive crowd to help us knowing there is so much to play for over the next 9 months plus 2 day but yes, definitely proud of this team

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I don't think many would have had to deal with as much as we did both in the build-up and duration of the tournament:

- CEO departs
    - Manager temporarily steps away due to front-page circumstances in his personal life
    - 30 plus degrees in Baku, an away game in Baku, an away game in Rome, an away game in Amsterdam.
    - Arguably a harsh sending off of Ampadu
    - A ref who harshly books Moore and Rodon then takes no action when Moore fouled before they score their second. Harshly sends off Wilson too.

Despite this, and recognising we were second best yesterday and disappointingly let our frustrations show, we achieved with qualification from the group and the FAW did their best to make sure the whole of Wales was reached out to in order to again use a tournament to build future success.

Even in tough circumstances we might have been expected to beat Turkey, lose to Italy (currently 7th in the world) and Denmark (currently 10th in the world) so when looking back on the tournament I'll be focusing on the Switzerland game as a marker of our time in Euros 2020. Drawing against a side like Switzerland (13th in the world, reached tournament football in 7 of last 8 tournaments before this and qualified from group stages in 4 of those) shows how well we did and also sets out maybe not the the direct next step but the future goal to work to.

We come out of this tournament at a bit of a crossroads knowing that the squad has a higher floor than 2016 but a lower ceiling and not knowing which players will push that ceiling up again. Will need patience and good supportive crowd to help us knowing there is so much to play for over the next 9 months plus 2 day but yes, definitely proud of this team

Well said.
    Spedger

Well said, that man.