+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FT: ENGLAND 2 - 0 GERMANY.

Re: FT: ENGLAND 2 - 0 GERMANY.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    This thread is hilarious. I'm looking forward to the meltdown from some of the posters on here if England manage to win the tournament.
    It won’t be a meltdown but it will be seriously depressing, a defeat in the final seems a fitting end.

England fans dressed as crusaders knowing the actual history of their costumes? I'd be surprised if anyone that dressed liked that had read a history book, but rather saw it in The Sun and thought it was funny...

Quote Originally Posted by CopenhagenBlue View Post
    England fans dressed as crusaders knowing the actual history of their costumes? I'd be surprised if anyone that dressed liked that had read a history book, but rather saw it in The Sun and thought it was funny...
    Whereas Welsh people associate themselves with a flag depicting a mythical creature and a patron saint who was canonised after making a hill appear under his feet so that he could address a crowd. And most Welsh people have no idea what all the words mean in the National Anthem. Nationalism is largely based on myth, selective information and historical tosh.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Whereas Welsh people associate themselves with a flag depicting a mythical creature and a patron saint who was canonised after making a hill appear under his feet so that he could address a crowd. And most Welsh people have no idea what all the words mean in the National Anthem. Nationalism is largely based on myth, selective information and historical tosh.
    Spoiler alert

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Spoiler alert

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    It won’t be a meltdown but it will be seriously depressing, a defeat in the final seems a fitting end.
    Why will it be depressing?

The dark cloud is only just lifting from above my head after Geoff Hurst’s hatrick

Because of the constant stream of gloating. My Twitter, FB and texts full of it after yesterday, it’ll be 10x worse if they win it. We’ll get in thrown in our faces at every opportunity, every away game. No thanks. I’ll take their glorious failure as the uplifting option.

Older I’ve gotten I’ve started to think of England just like any other “big” country in the football. 10+ years ago I would have been gunning for them to lose last night, now I just don’t seem to care how they do. I was just looking forward to watching a game of football and hoping for some of the quality and fire works of Monday’s games (a tall order to be fair).

England deserved to win in the second half, but even against a historically average German side (for their standard), it was still fine margins. Phillips (I think?) really should have been shown red and the otherwise dependable Muller missed an almost cert for him. Them’s the breaks.

I don’t watch a lot of competitive England games, yesterday and the Scotland game are the only two I’ve seen since the last WC so I don’t feel I can talk with great knowledge about them. They don’t feel like a team with a lot of flair on those two showings, despite some of the players at their disposal, but look like a dependable, defensively sturdy team that won’t leak many and can pinch a goal or two. Someone mentioned Greece earlier in the thread, these England players are individually better than the Greeks when they won it but there’s something about that functional style that has certain similarities.

There may not have been that much flair in the starting 11 but the England bench certainly has a lot of flair. They have a very strong bench with plenty of options.

We just had what 6 or 7 years of Swansea in the PL. Im sure we can cope with England winning the euros.

Swansea winning the play off final would have been far worse.

😃 Yes, indeed, we could probably go through this with just about every country in the tournament to some degree or other.
    The Danish dannebrog flag apparently miraculously fell from the sky during a battle in the 13th century in Estonia and led them from certain defeat to victory... Make of that what you will.

Got to say thanks to Mrs Merkel trying to ban every British holiday maker from the whole of Europe fully supported by the French and Dutch I was very pleased to see all three knocked out of the tournament and hope England win it just to spite the bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Got to say thanks to Mrs Merkel trying to ban every British holiday maker from the whole of Europe fully supported by the French and Dutch I was very pleased to see all three knocked out of the tournament and hope England win it just to spite the bastards.
    uh?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    No wonder the country is in the state it’s in when the majority of them are as dense as this.

Quote Originally Posted by CopenhagenBlue View Post
    �� Yes, indeed, we could probably go through this with just about every country in the tournament to some degree or other.
    The Danish dannebrog flag apparently miraculously fell from the sky during a battle in the 13th century in Estonia and led them from certain defeat to victory... Make of that what you will.
    I prefer Sidse Babett Knudsen to Dannebrog, Smørrebrød and Håndværkere.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    In the eyes of the English media and indeed a lot of their fans they are among the big boys of world football. In my opinion their record over the years belies this. Switzerland’s win last night was viewed as a giant killing by many, should England’s win this evening be classed as the same? The giants are surely the likes of Germany, France, Italy, Brazil and Argentina yet many English would put themselves in the same bracket. I wonder if any of the press report this evening’s win as a giant killing?
    If any evidence is needed that England are not one of the big boys on either the World or European stage, consider this. There have been 36 World or Euro finals of which England have appeared in just the one, and for that they didn't once have to play away from their spiritual home of Wembley.

The following countries have all appeared in more finals than England: -

Uruguay
    Italy
    Argentina
    Czechoslovakia (or Czech Republic)
    Hungary
    Brazil
    Germany
    Holland
    France
    Spain
    USSR
    Yugoslavia
    Portugal

Big boys my a**e !

Most people know the Glad, Glad bit, that's what matters.

The daffodil hats at the rugby annoy me, and the association that we must all be in a choir, the Welsh media doesn't dispel this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We just had what 6 or 7 years of Swansea in the PL. Im sure we can cope with England winning the euros.

Ain't that the truth!

Thanks for this, that's just cheered me up

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Not a chance. England fans still go on about 1966. If Swansea do well its in the paper for a day, if England do well its everywhere and they'll keep going on. You can avoid the worst of the boasting easily with Swansea, they have about 12 fans and they all live in the same street. You can console yourself with them probably coming back down straight away

Swansea "doing a Leicester", now that would be horrible

We still go on about 1927 that's nearly a hundred years ago so it's not surprising that we are not the media darlings.
    Swansea have had good run in the prem. I think every countries press gloats after a win and most of them are not saying "we don't have a chance" Look at the rugby media coverage in wales...they are more successful hence more gloat.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Most people know the Glad, Glad bit, that's what matters.

The daffodil hats at the rugby annoy me, and the association that we must all be in a choir, the Welsh media doesn't dispel this.
    Most of us buy into nationalist propaganda (me included) but to varying degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    England fans still go on about 1966.
    Spirit of '58 ring any bells?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Spirit of '58 ring any bells?
    What a little englander you are

Hardly any welsh fans go on about 1958

I'm English but my heart is Welsh. Sat in the pub watching the game with my English friends and I cheered but not with the same elation as the rest of the pub. The salty comments in here are helping though 😂