+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: FT: SWEDEN 1 - 2 UKRAINE. AET

FT: SWEDEN 1 - 2 UKRAINE. AET

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• This will be the fifth meeting between Sweden and Ukraine.
    • Sweden's only victory over Ukraine came in a 1-0 friendly win in August 2011 (D1, L2).
    • The last encounter between the sides was at Euro 2012, when Ukraine won 2-1 thanks to a brace from current boss Andriy Shevchenko.

Sweden

• Sweden have reached the knockout stage of a European Championship for just the third time.
    • Janne Andersson's side are yet to lose in 2021, winning seven of their eight matches.
    • The Swedes' 591 successful passes in the group stage was the fewest of any team.
    • Their passing accuracy of 69.9% was also the lowest in the tournament's opening phase, as was their overall possession (29.6%).
    • Sweden scored with 44% of their shots on target in the group stage - only Portugal had a higher ratio (50%).
    • Forsberg's opening goal against Poland came after one minute and 22 seconds - the second-fastest scored at a Euros.
    • Viktor Claesson's late winner against Poland was his 10th goal for Sweden and his first at a major tournament.
    • Claesson's next international cap will be his 50th.

Ukraine

• Ukraine have reached the knockout stage of a European Championship for the first time in their history.
    • That is despite losing seven of their last eight games played at the tournament.
    • They have never kept a clean sheet in a European Championship match.
    • No side who reached the last 16 faced more shots on target in the group stage than Ukraine - they allowed 16, a joint high with Wales.
    • Andriy Yarmolenko and Roman Yaremchuk have both scored two goals and assisted one of Ukraine's four at Euro 2020. No player has ever been involved in more goals for them at a major tournament.

Re: SWEDEN v UKRAINE. ko 8pm

Sweden, Belgium and France were the only sides to top their group without being a "host nation".

One of those is already out and the other already through - potentially with enough injuries that their tournament is finished in realistic terms - so really interesting to see who Sweden follow and whether they can continue to defy the odds.

Ukraine were picked by a few before it started as a dark horse but they don't look defensively good enough at the moment. An exciting side going forward though.

It took 12 secs after kick off for one of the commentators to mention England 😂😂

Great finish - Man City players have a great night so far.

It’s HT in this game and instead of discussing this game they sre talking about the england progressing.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    It’s HT in this game and instead of discussing this game they sre talking about the england progressing.
    are you surprised?

I guess most countries would be the same

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    are you surprised?

I guess most countries would be the same
    I agree completely. Not really sure what the issue is

I note that on the other side, Belgium play Italy. The two stand- out teams so far, easily better than anything on England’s side of the draw. It’s bonkers how the quality is all on one side (England aside, who are a legitimately good team)

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post

I note that on the other side, Belgium play Italy. The two stand- out teams so far, easily better than anything on England’s side of the draw. It’s bonkers how the quality is all on one side (England aside, who are a legitimately good team)
    Denmark ain't bad either, finished above England in their Nations League group

Czechs are decent as well, solid spine of Prague players supplemented by quality operators in the big 5 leagues. Unfortunately it becomes even more apparent that Wales were the odd one out in the Round of 16, Morrell and Allen certainly aren't getting into anyone else's midfied

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post

You say the quality is all on one side? I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the quality overall of the tournament, I’m not sure there are any mugs left.

The games in London, Rome, Amsterdam and Seville have all been quite boring but rest of the games have all been worth a watch. To hammer home a point, at times it's been a bit Djokovic playing Wimbledon against opponents wearing an eye-patch for certain sides.

These look like two good sides who might be at a contest one too soon. If they keep progressing they could be worth a watch at Qatar 2022 or, more likely, Germany 2024.

Well that one was worse than Ampadus.

Just turned it on, how much has the capacity been limited in this game. Looks a really poor turn out from the locals and very poor atmosphere compared to others in the last 16. Brings into question the decision making of allocations games if it’s well below what’s allowed.

Watching on ESPN with American commentary. They think it’s Ice Hockey, top of the box, employed substitutes, service ( not a cross ) aargh

What a complete contrast in entertainment, last night's compared to this.

These are two awful teams serving up a crock of shite.

If catching a guy after volleying the ball away is a red why is kneeing a guy in the head after playing the ball not even yellow?

Both caused painful injury being out of control

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    You say the quality is all on one side? I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the quality overall of the tournament, I’m not sure there are any mugs left.
    Surely you jest Splotty. This game is ****ing dire!!
    Like a Div 2 slugfest!!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Surely you jest Splotty. This game is ****ing dire!!
    Like a Div 2 slugfest!!
    I love Division 2 slugfests But I stand by my statement that I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the tournament overall, I’ve really enjoyed it. That Ukraine winner was a fantastic goal, great cross and a top finish.

Re: FT: SWEDEN 1 - 2 UKRAINE. AET

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    If catching a guy after volleying the ball away is a red why is kneeing a guy in the head after playing the ball not even yellow?

Both caused painful injury being out of control
    Totally agree. If you're going to give the first how the hell can you not even give a freekick for the other. Beats me.

Shevchenko takes Ukraine (not the Soviet Union) further than they've ever gone before in the Euros and at a minimum matches their best World Cup performance - Group C's third best team has outlasted the first and second best in that group. Shevchenko's also won the most caps as a captain for Ukraine, second most caps in total and their top goal-scorer of all time.

Sweden go out and now there is only one team left who topped their group despite not being a "host nation".

There are now more third placed teams than second placed teams left in the contest. We should have let Italy tank us!!

For 60 minutes this was quite an enjoyable game with two teams apparently trying to score/win. For some unknown reason they then both decided to start passing backwards and play for penalties. Surely the managers and players aren't so stupid that they don't realise that, if it goes to penalties, one team has to lose. After the sending off Swedens attitude was more understandable in extra time. The England v Ukraine game is going to be real borefest. All Zinchenko did in extra time was stand still on the touchline and pass it back - I suppose he will think his tactic worked though in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    For 60 minutes this was quite an enjoyable game with two teams apparently trying to score/win. For some unknown reason they then both decided to start passing backwards and play for penalties. Surely the managers and players aren't so stupid that they don't realise that, if it goes to penalties, one team has to lose. After the sending off Swedens attitude was more understandable in extra time. The England v Ukraine game is going to be real borefest. All Zinchenko did in extra time was stand still on the touchline and pass it back - I suppose he will think his tactic worked though in the end.
    Weren't the tactics spot on though?

Ukraine lulled Sweden into a false sense of security and punished them clinically in the end. Can't really argue that Shevchenko got it wrong.

The boring stalemate tactic may even see them be fresher for the QF.