+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark Cavendish stage win #31

Re: Mark Cavendish stage win #31

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I’m a grown man in my 60s and I have tears in my eyes over a bloke riding a push bike.

Cav was in a very dark place 18 months ago. 1 stage was amazing, 2 is beyond, the Green jersey would be a dream.

The moral here is keep believing.
    Anyone who hasn’t been reduced to tears this week watching him considering the back story isn’t human imho.

He does it again 33 career stage just 1 short of equalling record.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LeTour?re...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

He’s a beast. But what a team he has around him.

That team lead out for him was textbook, incredible from all of them.

I've watched all of his tour wins, it's an incredible achievement and a great comeback story. The teams he has had nursing him to to the line have largely been second to none and deserve almost as much credit.

I wish I liked him a bit more though. He seems like a bit of a tw@t

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Harry he’s a friend of my wife’s family & I know him as he trains with motorcycle guys. He’s just mentally on the edge & lacks self belief. He’s very quiet in public. I think fragile would be a good description.

Anyway 33, unbebloodylievable.

Harry he’s a friend of my wife’s family & I know him as he trains with motorcycle guys. He’s just mentally on the edge & lacks self belief. He’s very quiet in public. I think fragile would be a good description.

Anyway 33, unbebloodylievable.
    Fair enough Des. I'm basing my impression on press conferences and post stage interviews when he's probably in the zone as they say. Not taking anything away from his achievement, 33 stage wins is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    I've watched all of his tour wins, it's an incredible achievement and a great comeback story. The teams he has had nursing him to to the line have largely been second to none and deserve almost as much credit.

He was certainly dislikeable when he was younger, and he has admitted that he was a bit of a cock years ago. However, he comes over very well these days in interviews, just look at the post stage win interviews and he is clearly very grounded these days and his respect for Le Tour and appreciation of his team mates is obvious. Hopefully he’ll equal the record tomorrow, and break it in Paris, if not before.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    He was certainly dislikeable when he was younger, and he has admitted that he was a bit of a cock years ago. However, he comes over very well these days in interviews, just look at the post stage win interviews and he is clearly very grounded these days and his respect for Le Tour and appreciation of his team mates is obvious. Hopefully he’ll equal the record tomorrow, and break it in Paris, if not before.
    I would love to see him equal the record, looks like it won't be today unfortunately.

Couldn't believe what I was seeing yesterday with Van Aert. After being beaten by half a wheel by Cav in a sprint the day before, he goes and wins after a double trip up the Ventoux. Super human

Should be nailed on for SPOTY, but he’ll be beaten by an English diver, and I don’t mean Tom Daley!

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Chapeau Cav, as already said i also had a tear when he won Tuesday, favourite for green now and in with a shout at the cannibals record, absolute legend in my eyes and what resolve to come back from what could have been a career ending illness. i rate him the greatest ever british cyclist above Froome, G and Wiggins and without doubt the best ever road sprinter,
    dream scenario would to win the sprint in green on the Champs-Elysees to equal or surpass Merckx
    we can but dream
    I think he might actually beat the record on stage19 before Paris, but to do it Paris would be so good! He seems so grounded these days and has so much respect for the race, and seems genuinely surprised at his success this year, but, and it’s a big but, I wonder if he might just back himself to win in Paris and not try to beat the record before. Altho having said that I just think he loves winning at Le Tour so expect him to go for 36!

He was shattered today but another great effort by quick step team and Cav.

Surely nobody will want to be the party pooper and stop number 35 ?

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    He was shattered today but another great effort by quick step team and Cav.

Surely nobody will want to be the party pooper and stop number 35 ?
    I had a dream a month ago. He’s coming into the final 1km in Paris, he’s on 34 wins. They round the last bend being led out by 2 DQS riders, Cav launches for the sprint and all the other sprinters sit up and let him sprint to the line unopposed for the record!

What a job by DQS, equal to HTCs efforts. They’d lost that but still pulled it back.

34, unbe****inglievable.

I think he might actually beat the record on stage19 before Paris, but to do it Paris would be so good! He seems so grounded these days and has so much respect for the race, and seems genuinely surprised at his success this year, but, and it’s a big but, I wonder if he might just back himself to win in Paris and not try to beat the record before. Altho having said that I just think he loves winning at Le Tour so expect him to go for 36!
    That would be special , you can't help being amazed at the fitness and durability of these cyclists , it's astonishing to watch them apply such endurance and speed day after day .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    That would be special , you can't help being amazed at the fitness and durability of these cyclists , it's astonishing to watch them apply such endurance and speed day after day .
    Puts the antics of footballers into perspective, today there was a crash at 70kmh, rudest went off the edge of the road into a ravine, their fall stopped only by hitting a tree. They just hit back on their bikes and carried on,no fuss. A few years ago Geraint Thomas hit a telegraph pole at speed and fractured his pelvis, 3 weeks later he was riding into Paris having competed the tour. These guys are phenomenal beings.

What a job by DQS, equal to HTCs efforts. They’d lost that but still pulled it back.

34, unbe****inglievable.
    CJP, I've been watching TDF since the 70's. Its man on man. Cav is the best is, the best was, and the best there ever will be.

Cav is up there is up there with the best athletes of all time. Chapeau

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny London View Post
    CJP, I've been watching TDF since the 70's. Its man on man. Cav is the best is, the best was, and the best there ever will be.

Cav is up there is up there with the best athletes of all time. Chapeau
    If he hadn’t crashed on first day in 2014, been elbowed out by Sagan and suffered ill health he’d have put the record out of site years ago. Merckx was a beast, and there will always be suspicions, but he could win any type or race, which fir me makes what Cav has done even better, he only has one weapon in his armoury.

If he hadn’t crashed on first day in 2014, been elbowed out by Sagan and suffered ill health he’d have put the record out of site years ago. Merckx was a beast, and there will always be suspicions, but he could win any type or race, which fir me makes what Cav has done even better, he only has one weapon in his armoury.
    There is no one even close. Sagan 12 wins. Greipel 11 wins. Even 5 times TDF winner, Miguel Indurain only had 12 wins. Cav's achievements are monumental.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny London View Post
    There is no one even close. Sagan 12 wins. Greipel 11 wins. Even 5 times TDF winner, Miguel Indurain only had 12 wins. Cav's achievements are monumental.
    Agreed. He’s up there with The greatest sports names of all time imo.,

He’s beaten not just 1,but 3 generations of sprinters, there are world class sprinters whose careers started after his first win and who retired before his most recent.

Chapeau

He has won around 1 in 6 of the stages he has riden in the Tour. Nobody else comes remotely close. Be particularly nice if he breaks the record in Paris.