+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is There A Difference?

Is There A Difference?

Listening to the wireless today re. England fans being allowed to go to the game in Rome, it’s being said that home based fans won’t be allowed but ex pats will. Is it only British people living abroad who are referred to as this? Surely they’re immigrants, the same as incomers to this country are labelled? Or does ex pat sound like a nicer description? As far as I’m concerned a bloke and his wife living on a caravan park just outside Benidorm is an immigrant but watching some of those ‘Brits in the Sun’ programmes they throw the phrase ‘ex Pat’ around like some badge of honour.

Re: Is There A Difference?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Listening to the wireless today re. England fans being allowed to go to the game in Rome, it’s being said that home based fans won’t be allowed but ex pats will. Is it only British people living abroad who are referred to as this? Surely they’re immigrants, the same as incomers to this country are labelled? Or does ex pat sound like a nicer description? As far as I’m concerned a bloke and his wife living on a caravan park just outside Benidorm is an immigrant but watching some of those ‘Brits in the Sun’ programmes they throw the phrase ‘ex Pat’ around like some badge of honour.
    The wireless?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The wireless?
    Refuse to use the words ‘steam radio’

You can always use the stereogram...

Dear Splott (birthplace of my Gran) am I an ex-pat, immigrant, exile or Brexit deportee?

International

my understand has always been that an immigrant is someone who has moved to another country and made it their permanent or primary place of abode, and an ex pat is someone from one country who is in another country purely for the purpose of work and intends to return to his country of origin when the work ends,

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    my understand has always been that an immigrant is someone who has moved to another country and made it their permanent or primary place of abode, and an ex pat is someone from one country who is in another country purely for the purpose of work and intends to return to his country of origin when the work ends,
    Which, rightly or wrongly, is the way I've always viewed it.

Funnily enough, a third of a million people in the US are currently assigned 'Temporary Immigration Status'.

Anyone moving from one place to another is a migrant, especially in the case of work.

Nah that just means their ex wife's are called Pat

There are many people who move to this country for work and intend to return eventually and they never get called ex-pats.
    Usually just immigrants or occasionally "economic migrants".

I've only ever heard british people abroad referred to as ex-pats - some working and some retired.

I've always thought of those UK citizens who retire abroad as ex pats as well.

Steam radio? Now that must be an old device!