+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: They can **** off with this!

Re: They can **** off with this!

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I don't know whether it's a mixture of me growing older, and a lightning strike illness that made me reassess life, but things like this don't even raise an eyebrow anymore. We're in Britain, it's a British Government building......there's many more important things to turn your energy towards.
    This exactly.
    Nearby is the new BBC building. I guess the first B of that acronym sits fine with everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    This exactly.
    Nearby is the new BBC building. I guess the first B of that acronym sits fine with everyone.
    British is fine, we've got the most legitimate claim to be referred to as 'British' of all the home nations.. That piece of shit symbol though, symbol of oppression to many - that big, at the entrance to the city for most people, a big giant ****ing Jack.. **** off. The only good thing about that crap is that Wales isn't represented on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I'm not sure how that article relates to the comment of mine that you quoted.
    The whole "you were voluntary participants" and "you benefitted from association" strikes me as a colonial mentality.

Despite the fact there are many holes in your argument, none of what you say changes the fact that many bad things have been done in the name of that flag, whether the agents were Welsh or not.

The Union Jack represents military dominance (and everything that involves) and monarchy. That type of attitude is soooo last century.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I don't know whether it's a mixture of me growing older, and a lightning strike illness that made me reassess life, but things like this don't even raise an eyebrow anymore. We're in Britain, it's a British Government building......there's many more important things to turn your energy towards.
    Absolutely agree. As I wrote earlier in this thread, on a scale of 0 - 10 in importance, it would barely rate 1 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    What they don't realise is they are fuelling the independence movement.
    Who is “they?”

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    The whole "you were voluntary participants" and "you benefitted from association" strikes me as a colonial mentality.

Despite the fact there are many holes in your argument, none of what you say changes the fact that many bad things have been done in the name of that flag, whether the agents were Welsh or not.

The Union Jack represents military dominance (and everything that involves) and monarchy. That type of attitude is soooo last century.
    My comment was about economic benefits reaped and nothing at all about perceptions about cultural superiority of any description. In fact, I like to debunk such concepts and do so regularly on here. Many bad things did indeed take place in the name of the British Empire and I have not suggested otherwise and nor am I an apologist for such nationalistic propaganda. I am strongly anti-royalist and detest jingoism and the whitewashing of history so I think you may be on the wrong horse, if I may say. I simply think that Welsh people divorcing themselves from their participation in the British Empire is selective nationalistic cherry-picking in itself. I can accept that you may have a different take on things and I will respect your view, of course.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

It's the same flag they brandished when conquering and plundering half of the globe. Maybe that's the beef (butcher's apron pun intended) some people have with it.

That's like saying " what's the fuss with people walking around with a swastika flag? it's only a piece of material after all"

With any luck it'll get vandalised.

Halfway down the first page and Godwin’s Law makes its appearance

Anybody congregating under a flag or who associates themselves with any nation or country should thing about what it really means - and it usually means being indoctrinated with stereotypical attributes (often built on myth) foisted on common people by those who owned real estate and which they wanted to protect. I would imagine that the average blacksmith cared not about whether his tithes were collected by Norman or Anglo-Saxon overlords and nor did he probably associate himself with any banners they chose to fly.
    I'm boring myself now so I'll shut up

My comment was about economic benefits reaped and nothing at all about perceptions about cultural superiority of any description. In fact, I like to debunk such concepts and do so regularly on here. Many bad things did indeed take place in the name of the British Empire and I have not suggested otherwise and nor am I an apologist for such nationalistic propaganda. I am strongly anti-royalist and detest jingoism and the whitewashing of history so I think you may be on the wrong horse, if I may say. I simply think that Welsh people divorcing themselves from their participation in the British Empire is selective nationalistic cherry-picking in itself. I can accept that you may have a different take on things and I will respect your view, of course.
    'Welsh People' don't you think that is being very general? The same could be said of the English and Scots as well. Some certainly benefited, but the majority probably didn't to a large extent, or not significantly given the sacrifice made by so many in order to establish the empire. It would have been those people who were doing the Establishments bidding, In many situations, the least privileged would have been victims of Empire, which is always the case when poorer people are used in order for the rich and powerful to become even more so. It's an interesting point you make, although in my opinion it has to be broken down in order to see who the real beneficiaries were-are.

On another view of it - Surely this is good for the independence supporters as people would subconsciously associate the Union Jack and Britain with taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    'Welsh People' don't you think that is being very general? The same could be said of the English and Scots as well. Some certainly benefited, but the majority probably didn't to a large extent, or not significantly given the sacrifice made by so many in order to establish the empire. It would have been those people who were doing the Establishments bidding, In many situations, the least privileged would have been victims of Empire, which is always the case when poorer people are used in order for the rich and powerful to become even more so. It's an interesting point you make, although in my opinion it has to be broken down in order to see who the real beneficiaries were-are.
    My original comment was in reply to a specific comment and I hope that I am the last person to engage in lazy stereotypes. Of course the poor benefitted from the Empire far less than the wealthy, whether they lived in Conwy, Cornwall or Corby. However, the UK in general will have benefitted from the revenue from the Empire and some of that wealth will have been passed onto the population to some degree directly or indirectly. I just think it's disingenuous to think that Welsh people were forced to participate in the British Empire and to draw a very neat line of responsibility that absolves them regarding their participation. If that can be done, how should we view the participation of working class Devonians, Cumbrians and Yorkshiremen, all of whom can be accurately described as English?

What I am trying to say is that most of us throughout history are merely cannon fodder for other forces in life. We have more in common with our so-called enemies in the trenches than the people who send us there.

Heres a flag for the tax office at Central Square

Welcome To Hell Wurzel Bastards

I guess some would be happier with the EU flag on the tax office building

funny old world we live in

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

I would , rather than the union jack

Every single day

What I am trying to say is that most of us throughout history are merely cannon fodder for other forces in life. We have more in common with our so-called enemies in the trenches than the people who send us there.
    Completely Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

Matt, how could an EU flag be emblazoned on a Tax Office? It's known as the inland revenue.

It's the same flag they brandished when conquering and plundering half of the globe. Maybe that's the beef (butcher's apron pun intended) some people have with it.

That's like saying " what's the fuss with people walking around with a swastika flag? it's only a piece of material after all"

With any luck it'll get vandalised.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A Welsh MP (Bridgend) could have asked any question in Westminster but this was their priority: to wear a union flag on their tie and face mask and use their time to ask this.

It's not even that unionism is under threat in Wales with 47 out of 60 seats in Senedd held by a Labour party seeking to secure the Union*, a Tory party obsessed with it to distract from other issues and 1 Lib Dem.

*Drakeford's 20 proposals: https://nation.cymru/news/whats-in-d...ave-the-union/

Jamie Wallis (Bridgend MP): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Wallis

Wallis is one of the owners of a company called Fields Holdings Limited, the parent company of Action Direct (UK) Limited, a former claims management company of which Wallis was a director in 2011[5] when the Ministry of Justice banned it from taking on any further employment claims work, following an investigation into the company's conduct.[6]

In July 2010, a Freedom of Information request (2417) was made to Bridgend County Borough Council asking how many complaints or referrals to Trading Standards had been made about a Field House associated company Rapid Data Recovery Ltd, which returned the response that between 1 January 2009 and mid-2010, 37 complaints had been received, a figure which included associated companies. In January 2020, after being elected to Parliament, Wallis threatened to take legal action against BCBC over the matter under the Freedom of Information Act.[7]

An investigation by Buzzfeed in January 2020 found that Wallis had been a co-owner of a 'sugar daddy' dating website, "which offered students financial relationships with wealthy 'sponsors'". Although Wallis initially denied links to the company, Buzzfeed found that he had been a director and shareholder of the site's parent company.[

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Matt, how could an EU flag be emblazoned on a Tax Office? It's known as the inland revenue.
    That just shows that you live in the past tuerto
    The inland revenue ceased to be several years ago. It is now Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.
    you can work out when because it is the same point at which your communication with the Tax Office started to go tits-up.
    As an example despite phone calls in double figures I am still trying to resolve as problem that I first asked them to address in April last year, and have yet to receive one written communication about. Their excuse (And it is fast becoming an excuse for everything being late bad or not at all) has consistently been, "We are too busy with covid and we furloughed all our staff"
    They amalgamated the IR and the Customs Service but neither one would talk to the other or share information and it all went to rat shit. I think it's called progress.
    Oddly enough previously the people who collected our income tax worked for the Inland Revenue and the customs who collected VAT and tried to stop smuggling were historically known as 'Revenue men'
    So I get no satisfaction form then and neither will you if you ask to speak to the 'inland revenue'

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The inland revenue ceased to be several years ago. It is now Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.
    you can work out when because it is the same point at which your communication with the Tax Office started to go tits-up.
    As an example despite phone calls in double figures I am still trying to resolve as problem that I first asked them to address in April last year, and have yet to receive one written communication about. Their excuse (And it is fast becoming an excuse for everything being late bad or not at all) has consistently been, "We are too busy with covid and we furloughed all our staff"
    They amalgamated the IR and the Customs Service but neither one would talk to the other or share information and it all went to rat shit. I think it's called progress.
    Oddly enough previously the people who collected our income tax worked for the Inland Revenue and the customs who collected VAT and tried to stop smuggling were historically known as 'Revenue men'
    So I get no satisfaction form then and neither will you if you ask to speak to the 'inland revenue'
    The emergency shifts in tax collection guidance as a result of covid will have generated a large amount of work for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I'll take your word for it, Although what would the flag of the EU have to do with HMRC? that's the point i was making to Matt.