+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Building Materials-Prices Rising.

Building Materials-Prices Rising.

Visited Travis Perkins today and the manager there said that Timber prices are rising 30% from tomorrow. Sand and cement have gone up slightly as well. There have been shortages of building materials since Covid kicked in, some quite severe, and prices are rising quickly, in some cases, drastically. One theory from some people at the purchasing end of building stock is that the USA are blowing competitors out of the water in terms of what they will pay for raw materials. I can't see that myself.

Is it just a case of a worldwide travel ban which has led to people investing in their properties, hence the shortage in supply, or is it Brexit related in this country? It's certainly causing problems and the cost is being passed on to the customer. Any ideas anyone?

Re: Building Materials-Prices Rising.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Thankyou for that, Seems there is a shortage in the states after all, and the lack of travel has whipped up demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Visited Travis Perkins today and the manager there said that Timber prices are rising 30% from tomorrow. Sand and cement have gone up slightly as well. There have been shortages of building materials since Covid kicked in, some quite severe, and prices are rising quickly, in some cases, drastically. One theory from some people at the purchasing end of building stock is that the USA are blowing competitors out of the water in terms of what they will pay for raw materials. I can't see that myself.

Is it just a case of a worldwide travel ban which has led to people investing in their properties, hence the shortage in supply, or is it Brexit related in this country? It's certainly causing problems and the cost is being passed on to the customer. Any ideas anyone?
    Last weekend I had some fencing put up in the garden, had a quote that was reasonable enough and was similar to others for the same job. The guy said when he gave the quote that he wouldn't be able to do it for the same price if we waited a week.

It’s not just building material. The price of a pallet has gone up from £5 to £12, cardboard packaging prices doubled, steel up 25%

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Last weekend I had some fencing put up in the garden, had a quote that was reasonable enough and was similar to others for the same job. The guy said when he gave the quote that he wouldn't be able to do it for the same price if we waited a week.
    Classic sales technique.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Classic sales technique.
    I did check.

IMO a simple case of profiteering. I know for a fact that at least one of our local builders merchants has increased the price of timber that they already had in stock well before this sudden "shortage" business arose. I am old enough to remember the potato "shortage" in the mid 1970's. The price of a bag of chips doubled practically overnight and guess what happened after the "shortage" came to an end? Surprise, surprise - nothing and the inflated price never went down again. It'll be interesting to see what happens with timber prices.

Currently have 2 projects on the go ( 3 M X 4 M shed and a 13 M X 5 M mancave / home gym / games room ), the Price of Wood just doesnt seem to stop rising, roofing batten is rare as hell and almost £2 a M infact today i popped into Wickes for something else and spotted some 2.4 M roofing batten, a pack of 8 lengths for £20 each, i grabbed all 4 packs as i need alot of them

I ordered and paid for £3 K of laplop cladding, lead time of 8 weeks, turned into 11 weeks, price increased after 3 weeks by £150, i said i would cancel the order then, they didnt care said they could sell the cladding 5 times over and for a increased price

Starting cladding the Shed on Friday then its just the insulation and board the insides

Phew!
    I bought £400 worth of fencing timber last week.

We had a garden room built recently and there was quite a bit of 4x2 left over so I thought I'd use it to build the frame for a log store. I built it and then priced the cost of timber of cladding it. It would have come to around £100. I looked online and I could buy one for that so I dismantled the frame again. Madness.

The cost of Oak has held steady though such that softwood and oak prices are reaching parity......but do expect 4 week lead in time. That's according to a guy who builds Oak framed buildings.

Be very careful with reinforcement and structural steel. More than doubled in price between the middle of May and the middle of June. I sent 3 tenders back this week because of the reinforcement quantities, not prepared to take the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    The cost of Oak has held steady though such that softwood and oak prices are reaching parity......but do expect 4 week lead in time. That's according to a guy who builds Oak framed buildings.
    which is crazy