+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wimbledon New Star

Wimbledon New Star

18 year old Emma Raducanu.

Total prize money before the tournament 37K.
    Now gets a minimum 115K as she just beat Czech girl in straight sets to reach the third round.

With the Williams sisters seemingly now finished are they any women about to dominate as much as they (well Serena) have?

Wimbledon champion in 5 years, you heard it here first

Re: Wimbledon New Star

Coco guff

International

Not bad earnings for an 18 year old.
    Good luck to her.

Superb win for her today. Into the 4th rd now.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Superb win for her today. Into the 4th rd now.
    Wasn't it just, only sorry I'm not a betting man!

What bit of her is British, I read something that was headlined "British Tennis something or other" but this was in the article..'18-year-old, born in Canada to a Chinese mother and Romanian father'...
    Good luck to her, feel sorry for her if she is British as she'll soon be sucked in, chewed up and spat out.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    What bit of her is British, I read something that was headlined "British Tennis something or other" but this was in the article..'18-year-old, born in Canada to a Chinese mother and Romanian father'...
    Good luck to her, feel sorry for her if she is British as she'll soon be sucked in, chewed up and spat out.
    Family moved to the Uk when she was 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Yep, feel it's quite possible to feel British if Britain is all you have ever known.

To be fair to her she seemed to embrace the support and enjoy it. Great to see someone just enjoying themselves, was no negativity about her.

What nationality do you think she is then - Canadian, Chinese, Romanian or British, where she has spent the last 16 years of her life, been educated and brought up with British values, speaks the language perfectly and obviously feels British. She has the perfect right to choose her nationality out of that lot and thats good enough for me and most rational thinking people in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Yep, feel it's quite possible to feel British if Britain is all you have ever known.

To be fair to her she seemed to embrace the support and enjoy it. Great to see someone just enjoying themselves, was no negativity about her.
    But also important to recognise those Romanian and Chinese routes might be important to her as well?

Chris Froome is African and also British (or vice-versa) and I don't think being aware of that diminishes how British he is. Isn't that the story of modern-day Britain?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    But also important to recognise those Romanian and Chinese routes might be important to her as well?

Chris Froome is African and also British (or vice-versa) and I don't think being aware of that diminishes how British he is. Isn't that the story of modern-day Britain?
    Of course, wouldn't think otherwise.

I'm sure her family will have exposed her to their own values and traditions.

Fair enough, it had mentioned her a-levels just wasn't sure if she'd moved to train here or living naturally.

Raducano is British. Froome is a fraud.. Nothing British about him.

Raducano is playing at the moment.

Had 3 or 4 break points in the 9th game at 4-4 but couldn't take them and ultimately lost her serve having looked pretty comfortable.

Played really well against a much higher ranked and more experienced opponent.

Having been broken in the second set, currently taking a medical time out but she looks in trouble.

If she goes out now there will be no shame.

Definitely one for the future.

Raducano has retired through illness/injury.

Sad way to go out.
    Feel for her and the crowd who were loving it.

I see John McEnroe has got himself in trouble with his comments on Raducanu's retirement, but I must admit to thinking something similar while I was watching it live. I'd not seen her play before, so she may be like she was last night all of the time, but she seemed to be a little bit manic with her running back into position after breaks and over elaborate celebrations of every point she won. I'm not being critical there because she's gone from being someone barely anybody had heard of this time last week to carrying the nation's hopes in a few days - when you consider that she's still a teenager, she's hardly going to react like a seasoned pro and having to wait until a time when they would be close to packing up for the day on the outside courts could hardly have helped her;-

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...anu-withdrawal

I didn't watch last night but having seen a bit of her previous match she seemed to really enjoy being on court 1 and bounced off the crowd well.

That's obviously harder to do when things aren't going well.

Maybe she did start to put too much pressure on herself, who knows.

Good luck to her, I'm sure she will grow from the experience of it all. What a massive week it has been in her life.

To me it simply looked like she was hyperventilating and could not get control of it

Emma Raducanu has said she had to pull out of Wimbledon because the “whole experience caught up with me,” as Judy Murray hit out at “middle-aged men commenting on the mental wellbeing of teenage girls”.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...r-match-tennis

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Emma Raducanu has said she had to pull out of Wimbledon because the “whole experience caught up with me,” as Judy Murray hit out at “middle-aged men commenting on the mental wellbeing of teenage girls”.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...r-match-tennis
    Is it OK for middle aged women to comment on her mental well-being? What about old men? Middle-aged men tarnished again.

The occasion clearly got the better of her, she’s pretty much said as much as far as I can tell.

There’s no massive shame in that but pundits should be able to say so.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

I think I read several years ago that Chris Froome has never lived in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    What nationality do you think she is then - Canadian, Chinese, Romanian or British, where she has spent the last 16 years of her life, been educated and brought up with British values, speaks the language perfectly and obviously feels British. She has the perfect right to choose her nationality out of that lot and thats good enough for me and most rational thinking people in this country.
    There's an excellent article in the "i Weekend" paper last Saturday by Shappi Khorsandi on this very subject.
    Her family left Iran during the islamic revolution in the 70s so she feels very much British, (English) and people used to tell her "you can't support England - you're not from here!" she goes on about 'taking the knee' and stuff.
    Wish I could post it - Can't find it online though.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Is it OK for middle aged women to comment on her mental well-being? What about old men? Middle-aged men tarnished again.

The occasion clearly got the better of her, she’s pretty much said as much as far as I can tell.

There’s no massive shame in that but pundits should be able to say so.
    Especially ones who have lived though EXACTLY the same experience (and come through it)! McEnroe just compared his own experience as an 18 year old unknown at Wimbledon (who got to the semi finals) to hers. Which seems highly relevant, unlike his gender.

(Wasn't Boris Becker 17 and unseeded when he won Wimbledon for the first time?)