+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: James Collins - England

James Collins - England

https://nation.cymru/news/welsh-fans...james-collins/

He’s let us down here Grangetown Blue!

Re: James Collins - England

I think there's an element of truth in this though. I watched the Germany game in the Church Inn in Llanishen and the cheers that went up for England goals and the end of the game were pretty loud! There was nearly a fight between two guys over why the one was supporting Germany.

Don't get me wrong the last thing I want to see is them winning the thing, but it's mainly because how over the top the "British" media will be

Jonathan Davies tweeted similar to what Collins said here, and took a leathering for being anti-English rugby but pro-English football which is about as classic a Welsh rugby fan move as possible. At least be consistent.

Btw Welsh people who don't like England at football or rugby but will happily cheer them on in cricket, give your heads a wobble. The blatant disrespect they show wales, is a joke.

Well I'm with James here, and I know some who have supported them, particularly when Wales never made these tournaments. I also know plenty that seem almost pre occupied by them wanting nothing but failure for England.

I also know many people who couldn't give a monkeys either way.

Probably the most bizarre kind are those who say we and us whilst declaring their love for Liverpool and co but then say they hate England and want them to lose.

Collins and Davies (I think to a lesser extent) have lived and worked in England for years so there's bound to be some attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Collins and Davies (I think to a lesser extent) have lived and worked in England for years so there's bound to be some attachment.
    I'm not sure that follows. I have lived and worked in England most of my life and I have never supported England. In most sports I am neutral when England play, but when it comes to football (and to a lesser extent rugby union) I have got so sick of many of their fans and media that I slip into the ABE camp. It is usually light-hearted and based on banter at work and with my partner's family (Coventry), but constant exposure to 'Little Engerlanders' can produce anything but attachment. They are also the source of the rare but real examples of ant-Welsh abuse or prejudice I have experienced on this side of the border.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I'm not sure that follows. I have lived and worked in England most of my life and I have never supported England. In most sports I am neutral when England play, but when it comes to football (and to a lesser extent rugby union) I have got so sick of many of their fans and media that I slip into the ABE camp. It is usually light-hearted and based on banter at work and with my partner's family (Coventry), but constant exposure to 'Little Engerlanders' can produce anything but attachment. They are also the source of the rare but real examples of ant-Welsh abuse or prejudice I have experienced on this side of the border.
    Okay, not "bound to be" then, but I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to get swept along by their adopted nation, even against the evidence you highlight. Perhaps Collins and Davies are little Britishers?

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney Phil View Post
    I think there's an element of truth in this though. I watched the Germany game in the Church Inn in Llanishen and the cheers that went up for England goals and the end of the game were pretty loud! There was nearly a fight between two guys over why the one was supporting Germany.

Don't get me wrong the last thing I want to see is them winning the thing, but it's mainly because how over the top the "British" media will be
    I remember a similar experience during the 86 World Cup. England were in danger of going out in the group stages and had to beat Poland in their final game. Went to the Church Inn hoping to be amongst plenty of people wishing Poland well. Lineker scores a hat-trick and more than 90% of the punters were euphoric.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Jonathan Davies tweeted similar to what Collins said here, and took a leathering for being anti-English rugby but pro-English football which is about as classic a Welsh rugby fan move as possible. At least be consistent.

Btw Welsh people who don't like England at football or rugby but will happily cheer them on in cricket, give your heads a wobble. The blatant disrespect they show wales, is a joke.
    I wan't them to lose at everything.

Rugby, football, cricket, the Olympics, British Lions.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Well I'm with James here, and I know some who have supported them, particularly when Wales never made these tournaments. I also know plenty that seem almost pre occupied by them wanting nothing but failure for England.

I also know many people who couldn't give a monkeys either way.

Probably the most bizarre kind are those who say we and us whilst declaring their love for Liverpool and co but then say they hate England and want them to lose.
    And me .

I watched Wales triumphs in 2016 via the English media and was well impressed with their commitment to our cause , and when it comes to Rugby they are equally complementary.

I also know a lot of folk in England who always cheer Wales on .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    And me .

I watched Wales triumphs in 2016 via the English media and was well impressed with their commitment to our cause , and when it comes to Rugby they are equally complementary.

I also know a lot of folk in England who always cheer Wales on .
    My English colleagues were genuinely shocked when I told them I was supporting whoever England was playing as they were cheering Wales on.

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney Phil View Post

That would be opposed to the calm measured almost indifferent approach the media in Brazil Germany Italy etc take to their national team winning tournaments.

Ive said it before, move out of / away from Wales and the " chip on your shoulder " appears to diminish

Ive also said before when We ( Wales ) were doing well in the Euro 16's, alot of people i knew were supporting Wales

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Ive said it before, move out of / away from Wales and the " chip on your shoulder " appears to diminish

Ive also said before when We ( Wales ) were doing well in the Euro 16's, alot of people i knew were supporting Wales
    Why does not supporting England equate to having a chip on your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    He probably means when you go out of your way to support whoever they play. In your case in any sport including tiddly winks and dwarf wrestling.

I get if someone isn't English, has no connection there and doesn't care either way, but the commitment to want nothing but failure for them I've never understood.

Sport, particularly football, very often has a tradition of not wanting your closest neighbours to succeed whether your side are involved or not. We see that in the local derbies and indeed if your local rival is playing anyone else. Like it or not the majority of us have got a deep, ingrained dislike of Swansea and Bristol City (Rovers seems to get a free pass). The success of these rivals though isn’t rammed down your throat 24/7, the media, who are the real villains, go overboard with any glimmer of English success and we can’t escape it given the papers we buy and the television we watch. A lot of us have most probably admired many English players over the years but it’s difficult not to gloat when it inevitably goes tits up and the media goes into meltdown. Turn the tables though and they win this thing are we going to face an avalanche of back slapping and self congratulation on a scale we’ve never seen before? I reckon we will, much bigger than immediately after 1966 when things were a touch more reserved. I can’t f*cking wait......

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Like you, I have spent more of my life in England than in Wales but my England football-supporting colleagues, neighbours and acquaintances are very pleasant people and I am happy for them if their team does well - and the vast majority of them want Wales to do well.

He probably means when you go out of your way to support whoever they play. In your case in any sport including tiddly winks and dwarf wrestling.

I get if someone isn't English, has no connection there and doesn't care either way, but the commitment to want nothing but failure for them I've never understood.
    I suppose for me it’s deeper than just sport, I dislike Englands impact on the world and wish nothing but misery for their ruling classes. Regular Joe’s are no different than the rest of us. But then losing at sport is one in the eye for the pricks.

I’m apathetic about any football team other than Cardiff City. I don’t care who wins the premier league, champions league etc.

But for National English sports teams and their fans, media coverage it may as well be Brexit distilled into 90 mins.

The way they get portrayed as being the worlds best, founders of sport or it coming home just makes me think they are all *****.

Trigger has replied in a way i couldnt add anything

Indeed, if you are not English and dont support them, fair enough, but the idea to support the team they are playing in anything and wishing England fail in everything, if thats not a chip on your shoulder, then i am not sure what is

I suppose for me it’s deeper than just sport, I dislike Englands impact on the world and wish nothing but misery for their ruling classes. Regular Joe’s are no different than the rest of us. But then losing at sport is one in the eye for the pricks.

I’m apathetic about any football team other than Cardiff City. I don’t care who wins the premier league, champions league etc.

But for National English sports teams and their fans, media coverage it may as well be Brexit distilled into 90 mins.

The way they get portrayed as being the worlds best, founders of sport or it coming home just makes me think they are all *****.
    losing in sports hardly effect the " ruling classes " but it does effect the average Joe imho

anyway, your post does look like the example of my example of the chip on the shoulder

Wales' run at Euro 16 was a rare joy ride with little or none of the pompous posturing that often comes with a good England run, so it's not really a fair comparison. There were some snippy comments about the parade afterwards though.

With regard to Collins and Davies, it's likely they didn't have a chip in the first place - they're mercenaries who would rock up anywhere that would pay them. They've also travelled all over the country hearing the same attitudes wherever they go.

Perhaps when we look at (part of) England's support people are reminded just how ridiculous football supporting can be. All that pent up anger and swagger about others' achievements. Why take it so seriously? It takes away the joy and sullies the party, and, unfortunately for those who just want to have fun, what's highlighted with England is the boorish arse who thinks it's all about him.

And of course it's not just a small country chip - a lot of English people aren't so keen on their national team because of it.

Wales' run at Euro 16 was a rare joy ride with little or none of the pompous posturing that often comes with a good England run, so it's not really a fair comparison. There were some snippy comments about the parade afterwards though.

With regard to Collins and Davies, it's likely they didn't have a chip in the first place - they're mercenaries who would rock up anywhere that would pay them. They've also travelled all over the country hearing the same attitudes wherever they go.

Perhaps when we look at (part of) England's support people are reminded just how ridiculous football supporting can be. All that pent up anger and swagger about others' achievements. Why take it so seriously? It takes away the joy and sullies the party, and, unfortunately for those who just want to have fun, what's highlighted with England is the boorish arse who thinks it's all about him.

And of course it's not just a small country chip - a lot of English people aren't so keen on their national team because of it.
    By Matts logic the whole world must have a chip on its shoulder.

**** England.

If you dislike England because of their impact on the world. Surely there is a bit of a conflict when they play Portugal, France, Spain, Germany, Russia etc. They've all got histories that are quite colourful

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Like you, I have spent more of my life in England than in Wales but my England football-supporting colleagues, neighbours and acquaintances are very pleasant people and I am happy for them if their team does well - and the vast majority of them want Wales to do well.
    Well said. I watched the Wales v Portugal semi final of euro 16 on a cruise ship and the support for Wales was incredible. The cruise company had Welsh banners everywhere and made a big thing of the fact that a British team had gone so far in the competition. I'm fairly confident the vast majority of passengers were English.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Well said. I watched the Wales v Portugal semi final of euro 16 on a cruise ship and the support for Wales was incredible. The cruise company had Welsh banners everywhere and made a big thing of the fact that a British team had gone so far in the competition. I'm fairly confident the vast majority of passengers were English.
    Ive relayed a few stories about wearing my Welsh shirt ( especially during the euro 16 ) and People have said " hope you win / your lot are having a great tournament / good luck / etc etc " which is strange and many on here would have you believe English people are supporting whoever Wales are playing

Ive relayed a few stories about wearing my Welsh shirt ( especially during the euro 16 ) and People have said " hope you win / your lot are having a great tournament / good luck / etc etc " which is strange and many on here would have you believe English people are supporting whoever Wales are playing
    You know what I think its possible that in a country of 56 million there were both people who wanted Wales to win and those who didn't want Wales to win