+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: FT: SWITZERLAND 1 - 1 SPAIN. Spain win on pens

FT: SWITZERLAND 1 - 1 SPAIN. Spain win on pens

MATCH STATS

Head to head

• This is the first meeting between Switzerland and Spain at the European Championship. Their three previous meetings in a major tournament came in the 1966, 1994 and 2010 World Cups, with Spain winning the first two and Switzerland triumphing last time out.
    • Spain have lost just one of their 22 meetings with Switzerland in all competitions (W16 D5), with that defeat coming in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Switzerland

• This is Switzerland's fourth quarter-final appearance in a major tournament (World Cup and Euro), and their first in the European Championship. The Swiss have lost each of their previous three such games - 3-2 v Czechoslovakia (1934), 2-0 v Hungary (1938) and 7-5 v Austria (1954).
    • Switzerland have scored three goals in each of their last two European Championship matches, having never scored more than twice in any of their first 15 in the competition.
    • Switzerland's Haris Seferovic has scored three goals in his last two games at the Euros, having netted just one in his first 13 appearances at major tournaments.

Spain

• Spain became the first team in European Championship history to score 5+ goals in consecutive games. They hadn't scored more than four goals in any of their first 42 matches in the competition.
    • Spain are averaging 73.4% possession and have a passing accuracy of 89.5% at Euro 2020 so far. Both figures are their highest on record in a single edition of the European Championship (since 1980).
    • Ferran Torres has been involved in eight goals in his last nine appearances in all competitions for Spain (7 goals, 1 assist). Torres has scored in his last two games at the European Championship, with no Spanish player ever scoring in three in a row in the competition.

Re: SWITZERLAND v SPAIN. ko 5pm

Are Switzerland the new Wales?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Are Switzerland the new Wales?
    Hopefully England are the new Wales with a similar outcome

Well this is exciting

Bored shitless here

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Well this is exciting

Bored shitless here

Now it might liven up

Red card for the Swiss at 1-1, looked the right decision to me.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Red card for the Swiss at 1-1, looked the right decision to me.
    & me. Watching on ESPN and they’re giving Michael Oliver a load of stick for a wrong decision. Far worse than Harry Wilson or Ampadus

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    & me. Watching on ESPN and they’re giving Michael Oliver a load of stick for a wrong decision. Far worse than Harry Wilson or Ampadus
    Lee Dixon thought it was harsh as well.

What a block that is from Rodriguez

swiss are the new belgium . we are the new scotland

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    swiss are the new belgium . we are the new scotland
    In what way are Switzerland the "new Belgium" and Wales the "new Scotland"?

Who are the New Zealand

Re: FT: SWITZERLAND 1 - 1 SPAIN. Spain win on pens

Wore pelanty sjoot-out ever?

Switzerland depart the competition having been the only side who could argue a worst travel schedule than us - probably showed in this game through injuries and the yellow/red card count. They're clearly a good tournament team.

Spain look good but, ironically after managing it ten times in two games, are struggling to score this year. Think they'll be a much bigger threat in Qatar and Germany if they can hold onto this manager and coaching team.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Wore pelanty sjoot-out ever?
    I felt sorry for Switzerland. They worked their arses off to get that draw. Their keeper could not be faulted. But those pens bar the first were terrible. Poor Sommer. Deserved better.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I felt sorry for Switzerland. They worked their arses off to get that draw. Their keeper could not be faulted. But those pens bar the first were terrible. Poor Sommer. Deserved better.
    After the clinical dispatching of the French through well-taken penalties, those attempts last night could not have been further at the opposite end of the scale. Sending off looked really harsh to me, but I was watching down the pub, so may have missed something - and I note comments above that it looked legit. Thought the Swiss actually turned up at this tournament though - quite often they don't.