+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our Starting XI as it stands

Our Starting XI as it stands

I see Wales Online ran a 'pick the team' tool and our most popular line up was

------------------ Phillips
    Ng -- Morrison -- Nelson -- Flint --Bagan
    --------- Ralls -- Vaulks -- Wintle
    ------------ Moore -- Collins

Looks like a solid team on paper. But there are a few things that leap to mind.

1. I personally can't see Collins and Moore playing together up top. They seem very similar and I suspect it might be an 'either/ or' when Mick is picking the team.
    2. Bagan, whilst impressive in his break through year, is just coming back from injury and with only really Brown as back up I suspect we might be looking at bring someone in as at least competition.
    3. The three midfielders look very very similar - high energy, get stuck in, like a long shot. This could be fine if we're just playing Moore/ Collins up top alone and a number 10 playing as a creative link between the midfield and target man. But we don't really have that (Tomlin/ Colwill aside) so again I wonder whether a No. 10 or a creative midfielder might be brought in as we can't realistically rely on either Tomlin or Colwill to consistently deliver.

Aside from that I quite like the squad, we seem to have slimmed down the wage budget, made some shrewd acquisitions and have brought on some home grown talent.

Re: Our Starting XI as it stands

Id have Smithies as keeper. Pack for Vaulks and big If (fit) Tomlin before Collins.

I think the likelihood is Bacuna will be the Attacking midfielder though.

I’d have though he might play Murphy behind Kieffer.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    I see Wales Online ran a 'pick the team' tool and our most popular line up was

------------------ Phillips
    Ng -- Morrison -- Nelson -- Flint --Bagan
    --------- Ralls -- Vaulks -- Wintle
    ------------ Moore -- Collins
    That midfield would get slaughtered and if Moore (assuming he still with us) and Collins were to play together, and I could see that one the front two would have to drop deep.

Need a creative midfielder desperately, although Bacuna as Hilts said could play there as the squad stands.

Oh for a fit Tomlin!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I’d have though he might play Murphy behind Kieffer.
    Not good enough.

International

you left out Bale and Ramsey. But at least hilts reminded us that we still have Tomlin, our secret weapon.
    so secret no one can remember seeing it for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Id have Smithies as keeper. Pack for Vaulks and big If (fit) Tomlin before Collins.

I think the likelihood is Bacuna will be the Attacking midfielder though.

I had Smithies too. You may be right, but I really hope we don't play Bacuna at AM. He's useful and versatile, but no more than a squad player for me.