+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Historical Documentaries on You Tube

Historical Documentaries on You Tube

I’ve been watching quite a few travel vlogs recently which have them gone onto the animated brief histories of said countries.

I just watched a very concise yet in-depth biography of Tito.
    (He possibly had Stalin whacked!)

https://youtu.be/9goS1nHM_-E

Any recommendations along these lines would be greatly appreciated 👍.

First Team

Re: Historical Documentaries on You Tube

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I’ve been watching quite a few travel vlogs recently which have them gone onto the animated brief histories of said countries.

I just watched a very concise yet in-depth biography of Tito.
    (He possibly had Stalin whacked!)

https://youtu.be/9goS1nHM_-E

Any recommendations along these lines would be greatly appreciated ��.
    You need to get out more

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    You need to get out more
    Yep, it appears so.

First Team

Yep, it appears so.
    There are a couple of dramatized docs on BBC4 about Stalin's double-dealing at the start of WW2 that are ok. On iPlayer.

There’s loads of accessible historical documentaries online presented by the following. Google them and take your pick:

Bettany Hughes
    Mary Beard
    Michael Scott
    Janina Ramirez
    David Olusoga

not documentaries, but I've been really enjoying the "you're dead to me" podcasts on BBC sounds.
    a little superficial but very entertaining and interesting on a broad range of topics

they are not really historical as you have asked for

I have enjoyed watching youtube for " nomad / alternative lifestyle " documentaries, very interesting choices in life for some

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    they are not really historical as you have asked for

I have enjoyed watching youtube for " nomad / alternative lifestyle " documentaries, very interesting choices in life for some
    Watch 'American Nomads'. It's a wonderful documentary by a British writer who gets the urge to drift along the by-ways and highways of the US and making contact with other such souls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjArq0prs7Q

Savage Peace

Footage and interviews of murder and rape and public executions by hanging and firing squad of people , including children , of German descent who were living in the former nazi occupied Poland, Slovakia etc in the years following 1945

Its horrific , very graphic and was basically genocide

Its an untold story and very upsetting but a must watch

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Watch 'American Nomads'. It's a wonderful documentary by a British writer who gets the urge to drift along the by-ways and highways of the US and making contact with other such souls:

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed that.

Some interesting characters he met along the way, not least of all, Ted the ex-Wall St banker in 'Slab City'.
    Some of them were the victims of dysfunctional families when growing up it would seem. However, there appeared to be a common theme of contentment amongst a lot of them.

i will have a look tonight

saw one the other night which was the story of slab city, a vast % have alcohol / drug issues, was a right car crash community, suited some though

Thanks for the responses.
    Will check out the American Nomads video this evening...it looks interesting.

Thanks for the responses.
    Will check out the American Nomads video this evening...it looks interesting.
    This is what makes this place a great place to be, its so fluid, you ask about Historical Docu's and it flows into Nomad living

Im loving watching them, its not for me as i like my creature comforts, saying that, dont mind camping if i have a reason ( which a few summers ago was a summer of surfing )

Thanks for posting this,found it fascinating. Particularly enjoyed it as I know the area well, have been to many of the places he shows. Love the desert in the south West.

Quote Originally Posted by ryder bluebird View Post
    Thanks for posting this,found it fascinating. Particularly enjoyed it as I know the area well, have been to many of the places he shows. Love the desert in the south West.
    My pleasure. I'm not fond of the culture in the States but the geography Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Nevada is absolutely stunning. I have always had in mind to return needed to finish off Utah and visit Wyoming and Montana, which I will do next year after attending a Santana gig in Salt Lake City.

My pleasure. I'm not fond of the culture in the States but the geography Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Nevada is absolutely stunning. I have always had in mind to return needed to finish off Utah and visit Wyoming and Montana, which I will do next year after attending a Santana gig in Salt Lake City.
    Tend to agree re the culture, although I also have a lot of very good friends there who would also agree with you!

Have been going to the SW at least once a year for going on for 40 years. Still love it.

Thank You.
    Really enjoyed it.
    The young hobo lad talking about counting the nuts on the wheels before jumping.

I wonder if WH Davies had the same knowledge.

Thank You.
    Really enjoyed it.
    The young hobo lad talking about counting the nuts on the wheels before jumping.

I wonder if WH Davies had the same knowledge.
    'Stobe the Hobo' has some great YouTube videos of himself train hopping across the States, if you like that kind of thing.

The only music accompaniment to the videos is his own piano playing. Ex-US Coastguard, he decided to pack it all in and become a hobo.
    He loved a beer and was a connoisseur of pizza bought at gas stations in towns and cities that he visited. He also took an interest in architecture and was often critical of what he saw.
    Tragically killed by an oncoming express train.
    https://youtu.be/tGJmk5j-fY8

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    'Stobe the Hobo' has some great YouTube videos of himself train hopping across the States, if you like that kind of thing.

The only music accompaniment to the videos is his own piano playing. Ex-US Coastguard, he decided to pack it all in and become a hobo.
    He loved a beer and was a connoisseur of pizza bought at gas stations in towns and cities that he visited. He also took an interest in architecture and was often critical of what he saw.
    Tragically killed by an oncoming express train.
    https://youtu.be/tGJmk5j-fY8
    Nice One 👍
    I’ll be sure to check those out.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Savage Peace

Footage and interviews of murder and rape and public executions by hanging and firing squad of people , including children , of German descent who were living in the former nazi occupied Poland, Slovakia etc in the years following 1945

Its horrific , very graphic and was basically genocide

Its an untold story and very upsetting but a must watch
    The war didn't end in 1945. Vengeance, reprisals, went on throughout Europe for years..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The war didn't end in 1945. Vengeance, reprisals, went on throughout Europe for years..
    Indeed and the allies just stood by as they carved up Europe between themselves

Some of the footage in Savage Peace is dreadful and some of the stories of attacks by the partisans on ethnic German people are very upsetting 😢