+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Masks Yes or No After Restrictions Lifted

Re: Masks Yes or No After Restrictions Lifted

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    There isn't much evidence that they alter post operative infection rates very much - they are more useful for protecting the wearer from things from the patient though. I've been in plenty of operating theatres and none of the surgeon's i've worked with would be prepared to do it without a mask, even on a cadaver.
    of course he wears a mask but claims they are effective for about 15 minutes and then they start pulling at them with their fingers.
    i really don't know either way tbh

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    If someone can dig up a study that proves that masks are effective.
    I have a work colleague that is in his last year at university to become a surgeon and he claims that there are no studies
    that they help even during a serious operation.
    A surgeon? So basically would have absolutely no idea then.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Nevermind this, when is Biden going to open the USA up to visitors??
    Yea come on NYCBlue, sort it out, have a word with Joe next time you see him

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Yea come on NYCBlue, sort it out, have a word with Joe next time you see him
    Will Joe get the Cardiffian dry humour

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    of course he wears a mask but claims they are effective for about 15 minutes and then they start pulling at them with their fingers.
    i really don't know either way tbh
    that's really odd, none of the surgeons I've worked with would do anything like that. they are ultra careful about what they touch with their hands when aseptic, they won't even scratch their face if they have an itch. they certainly don't start pulling their mask around after 15 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    A surgeon? So basically would have absolutely no idea then.
    if he's in his last year of medical school then he's a few years off being a surgeon still as well

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that's really odd, none of the surgeons I've worked with would do anything like that. they are ultra careful about what they touch with their hands when aseptic, they won't even scratch their face if they have an itch. they certainly don't start pulling their mask around after 15 minutes
    I would imagine that if ever some complication or infection arose from an operation, every tiny detail like that would be examined with the finest of toothcombs. An itch, sneeze, anything like that, must require a hygiene procedure. It's not as if surgeons are alone, either.

my next door neighbour should wear a mask, dreadful rotter she is

Nevermind this, when is Biden going to open the USA up to visitors??
    When your government and population gets its shit together.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    my next door neighbour should wear a mask, dreadful rotter she is
    Have you offered that advice

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    When your government and population gets its shit together.
    Oh well….maybe never then not sure what the population can do? Revolution?

Oh well….maybe never then not sure what the population can do? Revolution?
    Not a bad idea.

The vaccine has weakened link between cases and hospitalization and between hospitalization and deaths but if cases do surge to 100,000 per day that would still likely be an awful lot of hospitalizations, perhaps as many as mid-to-late October 2020.

Chris Whitty expects a covid surge followed by a more normal respiratory surge (Hugo Gye, Deputy Political Editor at The I) which highlights how difficult each option is. I'd suggest it also means we should be looking to ease pressure on NHS as much as we can via voluntary mask wearing and reducing contact number/duration when feeling ill - government can also take action to improve SSP and give grants to improve ventilation standards in buildings.

Scotland's actions up to this point seem to have worked the best in the UK.

Think this policy decision by UK government (speaking for England) will need to be judged circa April/May of 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    The vaccine has weakened link between cases and hospitalization and between hospitalization and deaths but if cases do surge to 100,000 per day that would still likely be an awful lot of hospitalizations, perhaps as many as mid-to-late October 2020.

Chris Whitty expects a covid surge followed by a more normal respiratory surge (Hugo Gye, Deputy Political Editor at The I) which highlights how difficult each option is. I'd suggest it also means we should be looking to ease pressure on NHS as much as we can via voluntary mask wearing and reducing contact number/duration when feeling ill - government can also take action to improve SSP and give grants to improve ventilation standards in buildings.

Think this policy decision by UK government (speaking for England) will need to be judged circa April/May of 2022.
    I agree with much of this with the exception of the reference to Scotland actions working the best in the UK. Scotland is now the worst-hit region in Europe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57712737

No one has mentioned the important factor of ugly women. Irrespective of covid, face masks have been a tremendous advantage to people like Jasmine Albi Brown and Emily Thornberry and those who have to deal with them.
    No. It should be on an entirely individual basis - who could , in conscience, allow that Anneliese Dodds to remove her mask in public for example ? Imagine the distress and fear it would cause to small children passing innocently by in a public place.

The only two studies on the effectiveness of face mask preventing the spread of covid,one a Danish study's he other American said that wearing a face mask is pretty much useless at preventing the spread of covid. The mainstream media virtually ignored these studies as they seem to prefer a we are all going to die type of hysteria. It a bit baffling why people think they do any good at all. Think with a lot of people it's as much a virtue signalling thing as anything else.

At least the constant washing your hand thing seems to be going out the window as scientists have now pointed out that catching covid from touching some surface or object is almost unheard of. It was mainstream thought not long ago. Wonder how many millions of gallons of gel have been wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    No one has mentioned the important factor of ugly women. Irrespective of covid, face masks have been a tremendous advantage to people like Jasmine Albi Brown and Emily Thornberry and those who have to deal with them.
    No. It should be on an entirely individual basis - who could , in conscience, allow that Anneliese Dodds to remove her mask in public for example ? Imagine the distress and fear it would cause to small children passing innocently by in a public place.
    grow up

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    The only two studies on the effectiveness of face mask preventing the spread of covid,one a Danish study's he other American said that wearing a face mask is pretty much useless at preventing the spread of covid. The mainstream media virtually ignored these studies as they seem to prefer a we are all going to die type of hysteria. It a bit baffling why people think they do any good at all. Think with a lot of people it's as much a virtue signalling thing as anything else.

At least the constant washing your hand thing seems to be going out the window as scientists have now pointed out that catching covid from touching some surface or object is almost unheard of. It was mainstream thought not long ago. Wonder how many millions of gallons of gel have been wasted.
    I’ve noticed before how Libertarians seem reluctant to post links to back their sweeping statements, so here’s a few links that I came across in a not very detailed search. They include a Danish one and an American one which may be the ones you refer to, but I could find anything saying wearing face masks was “pretty much useless” in preventing the spread of Covid.

Some of the links may be duplications, but they tend to show this matter is nowhere near as clear cut as you tried to make it sound.

I see you managed to rescue what was a pretty disappointing effort when it came to the libertarian checklist right at the end with a use of “virtue signalling”

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/m20-6817

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...293-4/fulltext

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/d...0.0376#d1e2177

https://journals.lww.com/oncology-ti...educed.22.aspx

https://www.clevelandfed.org/newsroo...d-beliefs.aspx

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-07-08...s-work-act-now

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

We are pretty much stuck with coronavirus as an endemic virus. It’s likely that we will have a yearly vaccine to guard against different strains pretty much as we do with the flu jab.

Protecting yourself, your loved ones and other citizens you come into contact with should be a no brainer.

One source suggests that 8,000-20,000 deaths are attributed to flu each year and it's a figure used to edge towards easing of covid restrictions, but now we know that basic attention to preventing a virus spreading is possible shouldn't we be targeting a drop in flue deaths instead of accepting covid if it reaches that level?

SAGE first recommends circuit breaker in meeting on 21st of September 2020 with patients admitted to hospital on that day at 369*.

Boris announces on 5th of July 2021 that restrictions are to be lifted later in the month with patients admitted to hospital on that date unknown, too early for data to be shown, but latest figure is for 4th of July 2021 shows 456.

That's most similar to 30th of September 2020.

Said earlier in the thread how complicated a decision it is and that we probably can't judge until 2022. I hope the "immunity wall" stops anything bad happening (and there are obviously big differences in treatment compared to September 2020) but still think we need to be mindful about protecting each other.

*obviously they were speaking about things other than the data for hospitalisations on that specific day, not just because that days data probably wasn't available to them.

International

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

Really? I mean really??

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Really? I mean really??
    Two people have commented on this now. There are many different measures to look at, some financial measures won't be known yet, but if we're talking about protecting health only then Scotland has obviously done best job out of four home nations up to this point - just look at the stats over the whole year and a bit.

Their biggest mistake was moving potentially ill people back into care homes right at the start but that's something, shamefully, each government did when working closely together.

We're now at a point where case numbers are greater in Scotland than anywhere else but this is the first time that's happened. They've managed to delay that until England feel so confident about managing the virus they're saying case numbers no longer matter.