+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else noticing less food on the shelves lately?

Re: Anyone else noticing less food on the shelves lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I find Shreddies help me produce quite large numbers.
    Ooo you are awful !

International

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Just filled up petrol in tesco bridgend, went to pay in the kiosk and they literally had about 4 packets of sandwiches left.
    The bloke serving confirmed its a delivery driver issue, might go on through the summer aswell.
    I've got to start making my own sandwiches from now on then....
    ......and I've got to start learning to drive a HGV.

International

I was in the big Tesco on Western Ave last evening and there was none of the usual fruit, no bananas peaches apricots oranges blackberries. some old looking strawberries. no Choc au pain - disaster. These used to be seasonal things when I was young but with modern transport we have taken them for granted as a 365 days-a-year thing.

I work in a Distribution Centre for a large supermarket chain. Major shortage of drivers and warehouse staff. Eastern European workers were the major source for the agency, but that’s now a trickle. British workers are making up the shortfall, but their work ethic is largely poor to say the least.

I'm imagining cattle trucks arriving in the UK carrying a cargo of East European HGV drivers on a special licence......

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I'm imagining cattle trucks arriving in the UK carrying a cargo of East European HGV drivers on a special licence......
    Well I'm not eating any, I'm sticking to beef, pork, lamb and chicken

Boris' solution...make drivers work longer:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57753277

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Just filled up petrol in tesco bridgend, went to pay in the kiosk and they literally had about 4 packets of sandwiches left.
    The bloke serving confirmed its a delivery driver issue, might go on through the summer aswell.
    I've got to start making my own sandwiches from now on then....
    Hang a banger.

Don't all you meal deal poshies come stealing our bread and sandwich filling now it suits you, or there'll be a shortage on those as well.

You'll have to take last night's leftovers.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I read an article that said the UK had lost 75,000 HGV drivers in the last six months. I thought the M4 was looking quiet...
    When there was an abundance of Eastern European drivers here the haulage firms dramatically cut wages and add ons for drivers. Lots of British drivers found their pay cut by 20/30 per cent.
    Hence new driver didn't train up as it wasn't as well paid as before.
    Now there is a shortage of drivers the firms are bleating and moaning about the lack of drivers.
    Pay a proper rate and there will be no shortage.

https://twitter.com/richardgaisford/...245948426?s=19

still plenty of food, but it is rotting in the fields instead of making its way to the shops.

dont worry though, a Tory boy will be along in a minute to explain why actually this is a good thing, and definitely someone else's fault.

I have now noticed this. Thank you.

McDonalds ran out of chicken wraps for weeks recently. They blamed it on a technical issue but we are not fooled by this.

A mate of mine is, until the end of August (horrible redundancy as a result of a leveraged buy out) a manager at ASDA.

I asked him about it and while there is indeed a shortage of drivers...there are other massive supply chain problems like a shortage of cardboard for retail packaging.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    A mate of mine is, until the end of August (horrible redundancy as a result of a leveraged buy out) a manager at ASDA.

I asked him about it and while there is indeed a shortage of drivers...there are other massive supply chain problems like a shortage of cardboard for retail packaging.
    Caused by all the on line shopping during lockdown apparently

Another factor is with so many people having to isolate food manufacturers and processors are having to close some lines down.

BBC headline today ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news) "shoppers told there is no need to panic buy" hence virtually guaranteeing panic buying spree. Good old BBC.

The same organisation who declared that the FTSE250 had "tumbled" on Monday as the markets were spooked by new COVID infection figures but is strangely quiet today when the FTSE250 is back to where it was last Wednesday!

REALLY beginning to see this now, it also seems like there's been 5 years worth of inflation in the last few months.. might be imagining that but things seem to be constantly going up..

a few of my daughters friends work at out local Sain'ers, more than 1/2 the staff are not in work due to pinging, they cannot stock the shelves in time

Noted today Asda was fine but were spaces on some product lines in Lidls the day before .

Think it's a ping thing causing most grief