+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Which bits of the following do you agree with?

Which bits of the following do you agree with?

“ Cardiff desperately lack creativity within their squad; despite making three signings, there is a glaring dearth of guile and ingenuity. Wilson provided that for the Bluebirds last season and if they were able to bring him back next term it would drastically enhance their chances of a promotion push, one would think.”

For me.

Yes we do lack creativity.
    Yes there is a dearth of guile and ingenuity, albeit that probably means creativity.
    No Wilson didn’t provide it last season.
    No I don’t think having him back would drastically enhance our chances.

Re: Which bits of the following do you agree with?

We lack creativity.

Having him back would enhance our chances massively.

He did well last year with the ball flying over his head most games.

We look like a bang average Championship squad. Couple of quality additions would see us maybe challenge at the top end.

Other side lose Moore and say Morrison and we could be looking at a fight at the wrong end.

I agree with it all.

If we bring Wilson back then we should be in with a chance of the playoffs at least.

Without him I think it's mid table at best.

He got clearly the most assists, and was up there for the most assists in the league - despite receiving the ball a LOT less than the other players who were as creative, due to the way we play.

Question is would he want to come back here?
    +ves he knows the players and had a pretty good season here, knows the city (although it was on lockdown for most of it)
    Can link up with Moore at club and national level.

-ves the way we play means he got the ball a lot less than other attacking midfielders in the league.
    Mick kept dropping him - even playing bacuna there for a while.

Keeping the ball better is the biggest issue for me.If we keep losing it like last season were gonna struggle.

Yes, I agree with it all. They've hit the nail on the head.
    Weren't Wilson's stats something like 7 goals and 10 assists? That sounds like a creative midfielder to me.
    The problem is, he was the only one creating, and if he doesn't come back, we need someone (or even two) to step up, and produce similar stats. Tomlin MIGHT produce something for us, but whether he can last more than a dozen games remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    “ Cardiff desperately lack creativity within their squad; despite making three signings, there is a glaring dearth of guile and ingenuity. Wilson provided that for the Bluebirds last season and if they were able to bring him back next term it would drastically enhance their chances of a promotion push, one would think.”

For me.

Yes there is a dearth of guile and ingenuity, albeit that probably means creativity.
    You are like a stuck record on this issue. Wilson is one of the most talented and creative players to play in the Championship, which is why clubs are lining up to sign him if he becomes available. Any team would be improved by his inclusion in their team.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Keeping the ball better is the biggest issue for me.If we keep losing it like last season were gonna struggle.
    Yep. That needs addressing.

For me.

Sadly I agree BA

I agree with it all.
    There’s a lost art in professional football which used to be commonplace, and we can even see that in the Euros in most cases. I speak of simply being able to beat a man or two in what we now call “midfield “ and progressing the play in that way instead of bopping it back and forth in the hope that a wall pass might eventually come off or just smashing it upfield in the rare eventuality of having enough time on the ball to aim your mortar bomb vaguely toward the penalty box or whichever wing area you think you can reach.

Cardiff desperately lack creativity within their squad - STRONGLY AGREE
    Despite making three signings, there is a glaring dearth of guile and ingenuity - STRONGLY AGREE
    Wilson provided that for the Bluebirds last season - SOMEWHAT AGREE
    And if they were able to bring him back next term it would drastically enhance their chances of a promotion push, one would think - DISAGREE.

For me.

7 goals and 11 assists in the league. He had anonymous games but that’s still a good return.

We lacked a lot of things last season including some pace, guile and ball retention.

Wilson helped improve some of those things, but often he was on his own. Having him back would improve us, it's insanity to think he wouldn't, but that doesn't mean that significant problems in our squad don't exist.

I think some of the poor goals we conceded came from the fact we lacked pace and ball retention in midfield.

The midfield just couldn't get back when hit on the break, gave too many balls away and ran out of ideas very quickly.

To me a midfield a combination with any trio of Pack, Vaulks, Ralls and Bacuna is just slow and static and leads to problems all over the place

Someone in midfield to keep the ball is a MUST.
    Extra pace and flair in midfield / attacking areas is a MUST.

I am getting a little concerned that Mick perhaps doesn't see the same problems that we have all been banging on about since Warnock decided to strip an already slow & low possession team of any remnants of flair and pace.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    We lacked a lot of things last season including some pace, guile and ball retention.

Wilson helped improve some of those things, but often he was on his own. Having him back would improve us, it's insanity to think he wouldn't, but that doesn't mean that significant problems in our squad don't exist.

I think some of the poor goals we conceded came from the fact we lacked pace and ball retention in midfield.

The midfield just couldn't get back when hit on the break, gave too many balls away and ran out of ideas very quickly.

To me a midfield a combination with any trio of Pack, Vaulks, Ralls and Bacuna is just slow and static and leads to problems all over the place

Someone in midfield to keep the ball is a MUST.
    Extra pace and flair in midfield / attacking areas is a MUST.

I am getting a little concerned that Mick perhaps doesn't see the same problems that we have all been banging on about since Warnock decided to strip an already slow & low possession team of any remnants of flair and pace.
    assuming we are going to persist with 3-4-3 or a variation thereof; we've seen a number of teams do very well in the league and in the euro's playing that way.
    when attacking with both wingbacks pushed up it can be devastating, you essentially have a front 5, making it more likely to recycle the ball and. sustain attacks.
    teams who have tried to play that way without pushing the wingbacks forward have been largely toothless in attack.

if we remain a very direct side then there isn't the time for the wingbacks to get up to join in with the attack before it's snuffed out (or we score) so if we want this formation to be more effective we are going to have to include a bit more sophisticated build up phase to our play.
    footballers like Harry Wilson would be very important if we are going to try to do that.