+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has she got a point - should we be supporting England?

Has she got a point - should we be supporting England?

Although I can't forget that Kyle Walker was a selfish idiot during lockdown last year, I read this and can't find much to argue with, but, support England tomorrow and if they reach the Final? I just can't do it.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/n...rting-20969746

Re: Has she got a point - should we be supporting England?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Although I can't forget that Kyle Walker was a selfish idiot during lockdown last year, I read this and can't find much to argue with, but, support England tomorrow and if they reach the Final? I just can't do it.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/n...rting-20969746
    No, I don't support any other team if Wales are knocked out, why would I?

This is the closest that I've ever been to wanting England to win though, not to make them happy, but because of the vitriol and bitterness I've seen from Welsh fans. It really seems to be worse this tournament.

Its up to the individual

But I could never support the English football team

People say that they don't think we are any kind of rivals to them but I couldn't give a toss

If Wales were Ukraine and had beaten England do you think it would all be handshakes and well done you welsh chaps from the press ? Like feck , they wouldn't care about wales and would be shouting for Southgate, a really good guy , to be sacked

Some people are rabid nationalists and some people just don't do this oh they are British mentality and thats my view

When Swansea were in the play offs people I know who have no interest in Cardiff City and openly talk about their love of united , Liverpool etc said I should be supporting a fellow Welsh team .

So I just say why don't you do it all year round then ?

I want Enland beaten not because I hate English people , its because my team is Cardiff City and my national team is Wales , right on the border on England and I would love to be able to take the piss out of Bristol City next season and watch that idiot shearer talk cobblers after losing .

I will feel sorry for Southgate and Rashford etc but thats it . I know there will be genuine chilled out England fans who will be gutted . But there was plenty of welsh people feeling the same when we were knocked out .

The article itself is crap as all wales online, western mail and wales on Sunday articles are , its just bait to get a reaction .

For me, it’s not the players or the manager, on the whole they seem a decent bunch. It’s the media that’ll piss me off, have you noticed there’s a mention of the upcoming semi final in totally unconnected snippets at the end of tv programmes, ‘Emmerdale is coming up next, support Gareth’s boys’ type of thing. Was the same thing happening in 2016 regarding Wales? I don’t know, I was in France but somehow I doubt it. Also, if allowed in, opposition fans could be a bit unbearable over the next 55 years, apparently they won the World Cup in 1966 and the gloating cycle will start over again.

The Danes seem like a nice group of players too. It's not really the overriding factor for me.

I don't think we should try to stamp out rivalry from the game. Within reason it's part of the fun of it.

I didn't read the article, if I'm honest. However, I always support England after Wales.
    Despite having been to Denmark twice, I have far more English friends than Danish ones.
    Most of my English friends were willing Wales to reach the finals in 2016.

The article is complete crap. For a start we have enough of the type of supporters she described about England fans.

Im not supporting them but couldnt really care less if they did win. Im sure England fans would p!ss themselves at some of the bitterness on the site its real chip on the shoulder stuff.

Them winning this or Swansea winning the play offs. I take an England win any day.

But actually support them. No.

What a ridiculous article.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Was the article actually about promoting her new book and she chose a contentious issue to promote it with.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Was the article actually about promoting her new book and she chose a contentious issue to promote it with.
    Makes a change for the press not to be talking about rugby I suppose. In the question - perhaps we should be supporting our UK neighbours but I just can’t bring myself to do it. I know there are far more decent English people than not, but I can’t clear my head of the media and the bouncing chimps we face at every away game.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    For me, it’s not the players or the manager, on the whole they seem a decent bunch. It’s the media that’ll piss me off, have you noticed there’s a mention of the upcoming semi final in totally unconnected snippets at the end of tv programmes, ‘Emmerdale is coming up next, support Gareth’s boys’ type of thing. Was the same thing happening in 2016 regarding Wales? I don’t know, I was in France but somehow I doubt it. Also, if allowed in, opposition fans could be a bit unbearable over the next 55 years, apparently they won the World Cup in 1966 and the gloating cycle will start over again.
    Media and pundits are always way OTT.
    And, as you say. it'll be anther year to mention every time England play.
    (Actually, will they remember this year - 2021? or 2020, when "Euro 2020" was meant to be?)

IMO there's only one thing worse than a bad loser, and that's a bad winner.

I'll be happy if they get stuffed, but I won't lose any sleep if they win.

Also, we should start a sweepstake on how many knighthoods, MBEs and OBEs will be dished out if they win.

It's a wind up article isn't it, designed to have a pop at Wales for being out of the tournament and piss off the Nationalists, pure clickbait with a deeper Brexit narrative.

As someone who lives/works in London, went to University in England, has an English partner, really great English mates, I still do not want England to win.

Why would I? It would be like supporting the Jacks. Pure nonsense. I also don't support Scotland, Ireland etc when their playing. Again, they are local rivals, good luck to them if they are doing well but I still want Wales to be better. Plus it's the English media that irritates, annoys, grates the most. Most of my English mates and proper football fans are a lot more measured about it all.

Just because you don't want England to win at sport doesn't mean you hate England. When I think about the amount of bands, artists, actors, writers, political figures, footballers....etc etc from England that I admire, it would be very hypocritical to say you hate England.

I've experienced the other side of it too, sat in pubs in England with people cheering on whoever Wales were playing. They give zero shits about Wales and whether we should play Joe Morrell or Matt Smith as a deep lying ball player. Absolutely fine by me.

Also, why are they so obsessed about us supporting them? Why do they need our approval?

The media bias is annoying. But to be fair its tiny compared to the build up or aftermath of a 6 nations game.

The author herself has penned a cringy article in a build up.

When it comes to the lions tour or team GB in the Olympics then of course I want those teams and squads to do well and succeed as we are all represented and under the same banner.
    But in football? Never. The England national team couldn't give two hoots about us and if we supported them or not so why is she bringing out this daft article?
    The UK has 4 home nations, each with their own fan base, history tradition and support. I respect them and have lots of friends from all those nations but I never "support" them to win or be better than us. Just the way it is in football.

In my football supporting life I've been through phases of genuinely supporting England (before I was even aware there was a Wales team), to utterly hating them and wanting them to lose every match (probably 96-98).

These days I'm a lot more prosaic about it, I can watch them with an open mind - complement them when they win and take the piss when they lose.
    they have some likeable players, and the manager seems a nice guy. If Denmark knock them out I won't feel elated or disappointed.

The "it's coming home" stuff is very quickly starting to grate though - so that could all quickly change.

Why don't these kind of articles appear when England are shite?

It's not complicated. Support whichever teams you want and don't try to police which teams other people support.

Whilst some of the players actions of late are to be admired, suggesting we should support a team other than our own is a little odd and as we were competing in the competition ourselves it's disrespectful. Does anyone shift their support to another team in the FA Cup when we have our usual half arsed 3rd round effort? If we drop out of contention for the playoffs do we start cheering for one of the teams in the running because some of their players are great ambassadors for the Championship? I very much doubt it.

I'm happy that some the players are taking some social responsibility and the changes the are seeking to make may just make your average England fan more bearable than some of the idiots that have been most prevalent in the past, however cheering when a national team other than Wales score/win? Odd....

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Na you’re alright.

Judging by the conga that formed in the Fan Park at Bordeaux when Russia equalised against England at Euro 2016 this idea may struggle to really take off.

She has a point that the England manager and squad are far more likeable and praiseworthy than the ones that went before. But she spent the first two thirds of the article giving chapter and verse on all the reasons that many Welsh people wouldn't want to support them (history, media, an ugly core of fans).

I have no difficulty admiring Southgate, Stirling, Rashford and others in the squad but not 'supporting' them in the match.

I also know I will want Denmark to win. Underdog, Eriksen, their manager and squad (impressive in different way), and mostly for the English media melt-down that would follow.

That has nothing to do with 'hating' England or the English. I don't . I live in England and like most of England and most English people (I live with one). But that doesn't change my hardwired identity and disgust at much of the England football circus.

No, I won't be willing England on. The players seem like a good bunch, Southgate is a decent man, but the media will, at some point, slip into a haze of post colonialism, it always happens, and although much better now than previous years, it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn! View Post
    Also, why are they so obsessed about us supporting them? Why do they need our approval?
    She lives here.

In my experience most of them are oblivious to the feelings of Welsh fans and wouldn't really care. My family find the wanting England to lose stuff just a bit strange considering they were behind Wales for 16.

It's a bit like a Newport fan wanting failure for us but a lot of our fans wanting them to get promoted. Is what it is I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    She has a point that the England manager and squad are far more likeable and praiseworthy than the ones that went before. But she spent the first two thirds of the article giving chapter and verse on all the reasons that many Welsh people wouldn't want to support them (history, media, an ugly core of fans).

I have no difficulty admiring Southgate, Stirling, Rashford and others in the squad but not 'supporting' them in the match.
    I also know I will want Denmark to win. Underdog, Eriksen, their manager and squad (impressive in different way), and mostly for the English media melt-down that would follow.

That has nothing to do with 'hating' England or the English. I don't . I live in England and like most of England and most English people (I live with one). But that doesn't change my hardwired identity and disgust at much of the England football circus.
    Better than I could put it. When the English football team do well, their celebrations always seem tainted with an element of ' I told you so' as opposed to just relief and ecstasy.